Dual booting

I have finally got 2000 Pro set up on my main comp. I like it so far. I think I will keep it for while. Just installed SP4 on it too.

Comments

• Now, install WinXP SP2...
  • What's it dual booting with?

-Q
  • Thing is, you can't dual boot 2 NT systems, like WinXP and WinNT. You can only dual boot a 9x and an NT system.
  • wrong......
  • You have to have them on seperate partitions.

-Q
  • ive dual booted copies of win2k and XP before
  • Roger wrote:
    Now, install WinXP SP2...

Sorry, but SP2 will remain off my system. I refuse to install it. I have gotten by with the installing of NONE of the updates so far. Works like I want it to.
    By the way, I am dual booting XP and 2000.
  • Roger wrote:

Sorry, but SP2 will remain off my system. I refuse to install it. I have gotten by with the installing of NONE of the updates so far. Works like I want it to.
    Congratulations Constitutional Defender !
    Now you're cooking. Are you using a boot floppy or some other type
    of boot manager?
    Anything you put on an extra partition can be accessed with both
    operating systems so it's a good backup plan.

Thump
  • If you do install SP2, get the hacked TCP.SYS so you cna have more than 10 connections.
  • its not hacked, its a proggy that hacks the file for you :P
  • Thump wrote:
    Roger wrote:

Congratulations Constitutional Defender !
    Now you're cooking. Are you using a boot floppy or some other type
    of boot manager?
    Anything you put on an extra partition can be accessed with both
    operating systems so it's a good backup plan.

Thump

I use System Commander 8.1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:

Congratulations. Your box will now be ownzed.

And how is that?
  • Your point is? Just cause MS puts out something does not mean that it is CRITICAL that we get it.
  • Umm, right, just because ConDef doesn't immediately install all the requisite MS updates 10 000 l33t h4X0rZ are going to descend from all parts of the Internet and "ownz" him.

Yeaa. There ARE other ways of protecting yourself.

-Q
  • Tom are you using windows update??? :)
  • Tomchu wrote:
    No patches? LOL

He could be blocking from router level and a firewall on his computer. BTW I had windows xp back, there was over 100MB worth of updates, so i forgot about it, and then noone hacked me, I had a firewall (not windows)
  • Some firewalls (Such as ZA, and other's I'm sure) also monitor outgoing connections.

-Q

PS. "You people", right, 1 person says they don't install updates and you immediately think that all of us have never seen WU in our life. Not true, although I don't know everyones exact feelings on updating their Windowses.

PPS. We usually blame MS for getting it wrong in the 1st place, patched or not.
  • QQ
    edited December 2004
    Tomchu wrote:
    I say "You people" because it seems like you all automatically defend whoever I've caught doing something stupid.

We stand up for 1 another, there something wrong with that?
    Tomchu wrote:
    Better get that blame stick out and point it *every freaking software developer in the world*. It's funny how people blame MS when there's a patch out for Windows, but when there's a patch out for Linux, it's "Oooh, look how fast they came out with a patch!")

That's strange, I've been on here since this forum was started, and read (almost) everything, I'm not sure I've *EVER* heard someone say that.

-Q
  • I think this case falls under "less" :wink:

-Q
  • Again, using good firewals will always protect you from most hackers and so you don't have to use windows update...