Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending

edited December 2004 in Software
http://bink.nu/?ArticleID=3007

So... if windows update support goes, doesn't that mean XP too is starting to die? It's already become apparent that 2000's days are numbered, but now even parts of XP are fading away. I suppose it's nothing critical, just installing SP1 or SP2 will keep any XP version under support. Wonder if this means longhorn is finally getting somewhere usable.

Comments

• I think this is also something of an incentive for ppl to install those SPs.

-Q
  • Yeah, I think a few people here don't even have SP1 installed.
  • MrC comes to mind, although he may have bit the bullet and installed it.

-Q
  • I didn't. I recall people saying at the time SP1 was really buggy, and i never got around to it...AOL might be partly to blame...i don't need the protection offered by sp2, i have firefox, a firewall, and a router.
  • SP1 was great.

I find SP2 to get alot better once you install the firewall patch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Or (Like Slash) possibly on really slow lines.

-Q
  • I don't know what Slash has installed, I was just using him as an example of ppl with slow lines.

-Q
  • I'd think that of all the people without SP1/2, there'd be @least 1 person with a valid excuse, but that's just my opinion :wink:

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Or (Like Slash) possibly on really slow lines.

-Q
    Heh, here I get most of the software from network or on CDs... internet connection I need just to talk on forums and download something little...

And Windows Update has always been a huge hole in MS Windows. So it's not amazing if MS turn that off...
  • how is windows update a huge hole? It's a fast and efficient way to make sure you have your OS updated. It's odd though... NT still has windows update support, but XP RTM won't...
  • I think they mean, they aren't going to release new updates for it, not that they're going to block of WU access for it.

-Q

PS. While it may not be "fast" or "east", I'm not sure what you mean that it's a hole...
  • Q wrote:
    I think they mean, they aren't going to release new updates for it, not that they're going to block of WU access for it.

-Q

PS. While it may not be "fast" or "east", I'm not sure what you mean that it's a hole...
    Heh... well on my cable it's fast, I can see how his dial-up would make it slow...
  • It is slow as hell...
    And a lot of viruses use WU as a way of attack your PC.
  • HuH?! That's a new one on me!

-Q
  • Haven't heard of them?
    But I caught it one day... using that damn WU...
  • how is windows update a huge hole? It's a fast and efficient way to make sure you have your OS updated. It's odd though... NT still has windows update support, but XP RTM won't...

There are a lot of companies out there using NT4 that don't want to take the time and money to upgrade to XP/2003. XP has a large portion of the home market, and most home users are clueless enough to install anything MS tells them, so they can probably end support for RTM without much uproar.
  • I'm not sure what he was trying to say either. I'd make sure it's what he really means 1st, though.

-Q
  • Windows update can't be used to spread virii... If your worried you can turn off automatic updates (it just annoys me so I turn it off), but WU is pretty much the only thing I use IE for.

And again, you say slow as hell Slash, your on 33.6k dial-up.... it isn't going to be fast.
  • I like Windows Update. I got it set automatic, and it downloads and installs updates whenever they are available. I also installed Windows XP SP2, my laptop came preinstalled with SP1a.

And people, having a router is NO excuse if you don't have a firewall installed.
  • AWU is disturbing to me. I alternate between "Notify" and "Off". I wish you could disable AU service and still get WU5 to work, like WU4 did.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    AWU is disturbing to me. I alternate between "Notify" and "Off". I wish you could disable AU service and still get WU5 to work, like WU4 did.

-Q
    I have it set to Off... why bother disabling it when you can just tell it to shut up?
  • Because I'm paranoid :wink: ::razz:

-Q
  • i thought about dling service pack 2 but when you have a 56k modem that connects and 24.0 to 26.4 kps and downloads and an average of 2.3kb per second i dont really want to download it
  • i have service pack 1 but only because it came preinstalled with XP home on the dell....

as far as service pack 2 goes... i've seen it on matts computer and he tells me its not really worth it.... i have no need for service pack 2 so i'm not getting it..... and what difference does SP1 make? i dont' think i've ever seen XP without any service packs
  • Cervice pack 2 makes many internet things stand still and it is infestid with Mirosoft spyware (like in player 10 or Netscape Download Manager 1.1) AND Longhorn is just a 64-bit naitive OS... Everything else (major) was taken out... includeing the "WINFS" (super no need to disk de-fragment) system :? Microsoft systems are still the most practicle to use but they other are catching, Windows 2000 (p) sold more than XP the suport will not be taken out... (you can still live update Windows 95)
  • ^ really? i dont think live update was even part of 95 if your referrirng to windows update, you can still get downloadable updates from ms's site , but they dont support 95 no more:(