Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending

2»

Comments

• 95 didn't have a windows update thing.... you coudl download new updates....... but thats about it
  • i got a free SP2 disc with a magazine i bough so i dont have to wait like 3rhs for 250MB to download
  • It took me 14 ours to gget SP@, it was on my desktop computer, then my computer crashed, and then while at a hotel in NJ w/ hi speed, I had gotten it in 14mins.. (the entire net install)
  • i got my sp2 on a CD from warez centre.
  • You get *everything* on CD at a warez center. :P
  • That's Omsk
  • BlueSun wrote:
    95 didn't have a windows update thing.... you coudl download new updates....... but thats about it

Recently, Microsoft put up a Windows Update page for Windows 95. They use their old 3.51 version of windows update. It only works for Windows 95 C though. Just goto http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and it'll take you there. Win95 uses v3.51, Win98-Win2k uses v4, and WinXP uses v5.
  • WU 3.51!! That I've never seen before! Does NT 3.51 work with it too?

-Q
  • Ha...I went there...
    MS wrote:
    Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

Hey, at least they say you can use a different browser...
  • Are they really talking about NT 3.51?
  • ?!?!?! Why would 95 support randomly go up? I know if you go to windows update it would say that 95 isn't supported anymore, but now you say that it does work? And that you can download updates?
  • and that thing about 3.51 seems more strange...
  • Uhhh, what is Win XP RTM???
  • "Released to Mfg.", AKA, Final verision.

-Q
  • Well... in this aspect... isn't it more like first editon... the first edition sold.
  • Judging by that WU ad, "XP RTM" is their way of saying XP SP0.

-Q