Longhorn

edited December 2004 in Software
http://air101.soft-welt.de/LH4074.html

Go there for some screenshots of Longhorn. I like the look of it to be honest. Also on that site there's some screenshots of different windows versions (like nashville, chicage, windows 99 (hacked 98) and some other stuff).

Comments

• ive seeen those and i dont like it
  • Now I know there is a section dedicated to hacked OS's, but some of the ones that try to pass off as real also seem faked.
  • yes, i've seen the look of longhorn..... and frankly its ugly!

i haven't used it, is classic still there? i hope so cause theres no way i'm gonna use the final version if it looks like that.....

but then again...... as the past has shown us, the visual style of windows betas/alphas changes, just look at whistler/XP
  • Uhh... Its only like in Alpha... The looks IS going to change over time...
  • I thought the last few builds were considered beta now?

EDIT: Oh.. I just read from microbeta, M8-2 is the newest build (not sure what 4 digit number that equals), and M9 is the last alpha expected march 16th. Then the first beta will possible be revealed in may 2005.
  • This is not support, *Moved to Talk > Windows*.

-Q
  • Nashville... it looks just like Win95...
    And LH4074 ... well... it's beautiful, but i doubt that using it will bring you comfort...
    So ugly titlebars...
  • thanks for the screen shots, they look alot like my laptops desktop cause i put the transformation pack on xp home. but i must say the only thing i like about longhorn is the recycle bin icon lol
  • i like when recycle bin looks like a shitter...
    that's my favourite look of it...
  • HaHaH! air101! Wasn't he the guy who faked 98TE and other Windows versions?

-Q
  • I'm with crasha. I actually like the longhorn interface.
  • James Babb wrote:
    I'm with crasha. I actually like the longhorn interface.

I, too, like the whole Longhorn idea, but I didn't like the fact that after the second full reboot that I made, it kept crashing and displaying the horrible dump on a blue screen. Obviously, Longhorn don't like me and/or my pc. Oh well.... I'll stick with XP and the transformation pack.
  • bah longhorn ...looks pretty ugly but with royal theme that fixes everything,
  • The current Jade theme looks pretty cool....but then the 3d desktop is coming, who knows?
  • transformation pack? linky!!!

is it just a *.msstyles file? or somthing else?
  • I'm thinking MORE that that...
  • it is apperently a lot more then that..... but all i'm interested in is the Ms Style and i'm downloading that from babb right now...
  • ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!
    What's so good in longhorn interface???
  • Ask FrosT.

-Q
  • FrosT is a fucken n00b, i want to hear it from intelligent members, like T4 and Babb
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shows how much he likes you.
  • I wish I could help, but I've never used LH.

-Q
  • The sidebar thing looks awful. Other than that, the user experience is shaping up to be a lot like XP.
  • theres no point in using longhorn, the requirements for that OS are incredible,
  • Slash wrote:
    FrosT is a fucken n00b, i want to hear it from intelligent members, like T4 and Babb
    Nice of you to acknowledge me. Anyway............

Here's my review of this transformation pack. Overall, I give it an 8.5 out of 10. It includes and changes your system icons to the ones included in the actual Longhorn build. Also, there are visual styles included from all the Longhorn builds thus far. They include Slate and Jade and a redefined Luna style and a Royale style. You should use this with the Windows XP theme applied first to get the full effect. It includes Login screens and a boot screen. DO NOT APPLY THE BOOT SCREEN or you'll keep getting a notice from the Windows File Protection asking for your cd if you don't have one.

Here's my rating scale:
    Stability: 10 out of 10 (Perfectly stable)
    Installation: 9 out of 10 (pretty slow install, but it may just be me)
    Content and Features: 9.7 out of 10 (I rarely give content a complete 10)
    Ease of use: 10 out of 10 (pretty easy to use)
    Visualization: 9 out of 10 (The themes could have used more work and the task bar could have been better)

Overall rating average: 9.54
    Does JT recommend this? Yes I do. It's a perfect program for anyone running Windows XP to use. I recommend using this instead of actually using Longhorn since Longhorn's requirements excell many people's system specs.
  • Thank you slash....

Anyway.....I would have to agree with the ratings that T4 posted. However...I decieded not to use the web based side bar, and just use the theme, and the logo changes.

Dislikes: The install program....slow slow slow. The side bar....The real LH side bar is better.

This is certainly a good add on to XP. Perhaps MS should include at least the themes in their next SP for XP.

Also...I found that, when using real lh, it was not very stable for alot of things. I'm waiting for the BETA releases of LH, to use it more. and expirement with it more.
  • James Babb wrote:
    Thank you slash....

... Also...I found that, when using real lh, it was not very stable for alot of things. I'm waiting for the BETA releases of LH, to use it more. and expirement with it more.

Dude, I hope your hardware can support it because You'll need a fast processor and the required memory for the beta is suposed to go up to 512MB. That's Why I'm staying with Windows XP. I also agree with Babb that Microsoft should include all visual styles with the next service pack (SP3) of Windows XP.
  • Hey T4? WHat did you call perfectly stable???
    Longhorn Alpha???
    I wanna say even Linux isn't perfectly stable. It's about 8/10. 2K is 6/10. XP is 5/10.
    NT4 is 4/10. same for NT3.5x
    95 is 3/10. 98 is 2/10...
    There is no perfect OS!
  • slash, IDK if it would be "fair" to say stability in the n/10s it really should be n/1000's or even n/1,000's