Should I Upgrade...

edited March 2005 in Software
I have a old (386 )(Black and White) labtop with 16 megs of ram... For some reson windows 3.11 is running funky, so I was thinking of upgrading to windows 95 do you think I should or try to repair 3.11 (yes it has a mouse)

Comments

• I'd definately try to get 3.11 on it's feet again before going 95 on that thing.

-Q
  • If 95 worked crappy on 486 with 16Megs on it then it will be even worse on 386.
    Better repair 3.11
  • on a 486 with 8MB ram it took 5 mins to boot, id stay with 3.1
  • I would stay with Windows 3.1. I would also recommend getting Windows for Work Groups 3.11 if you want to try networking. Windows 95 would not be the best choice, though it could work if you know how to do it right. I don't, so don't ask me. Do you know the complete computer specs for your laptop? This could ultimately help us to help you.

Windows for WorkGroups is on many private ftps. I have it if you want it, but I'll need a server to upload it to. PM me.

-- JT
  • Why to upload!?
    Isn't it on WInWorld?
  • yes, but sometimes winworld's servers don't work or are too slow (no offense).
  • get it then from fdd5-25.net
  • The laptop is a Jetbook, and only has a flopy drive and I attached a zip drive externally to it... It does not have modem though... Windows 3.11 started booting VERY slowly and then I could not even access the control pannel! It took minutes to open windows and a long time to do anything else... It was horible!!! This never happened before... I might try installing windows 3 again and see what hapens...
  • Well, I think it should work fine on your machine so try installing it again.
  • да всем нравитса Руски! :P
  • I have wfw 3.11 on my file server.
  • Ahhh... is windows 3.11 russian on fdd? I thought it's english...
  • I have a old (386 )(Black and White) labtop with 16 megs of ram... For some reson windows 3.11 is running funky, so I was thinking of upgrading to windows 95 do you think I should or try to repair 3.11 (yes it has a mouse)
    That's an old funky obsolete machine and maybe it should run
    funky. I hope it's not about to die. Windows 95 will certainly not
    fix it.
    No modem = no reason for WFWG. You can try to reinstall 3.1 and
    it may run better, I don't know.

Good Luck
    Thump
  • I also have windows 3.1.
  • I have a old (386 )(Black and White) labtop with 16 megs of ram... For some reson windows 3.11 is running funky, so I was thinking of upgrading to windows 95 do you think I should or try to repair 3.11 (yes it has a mouse)

Before you upgrade, make sure yuo get a copy of your graphics driver because WFWG 3.11 doesn't include a monochrome driver.
  • I don't think it's monochrome. Could be EGA though

I bet it's greyscale which is just like normal VGA or EGA. Just shades of grey instead of shades of colors.
  • whoa, reformat and reinstall windows 3.11 if it still gives u funkyness dont bother ugrading to 95, beisdes dosent 95 need lik 32 mb of ram?
  • 95 needs 4Mb to install. It takes 12Mb to 16Mb to make it run good.
  • Does chicago require less resource? Also windows 95 has a monochrome display drive... I have seen it work form direct install...
  • Chicago? You mean the 95Beta?

-Q
  • I highly recommend against that. Most of the builds I've tried were very incomplete, and remember, this is Windows 95 Original (With all the bugs) + the beta bugs that got fixed prior to release.

-Q
  • Yeah, I recemend 95A. It's fast and has less bugs than the first edition.

But that's if you run 95.

For that notebook, try WFWG
  • But note: unlike 95Final, Chicago works on 386 with 3mb of ram, when 95 requires atleast 4.
  • But chicago can't run anything, using betas as a primary os is foolish. I would keep 3.11 on that computer and fix it, a quick re-install would fix everything.
  • Chicago can run some 32bit apps and Win3.11 can't.
  • Hey...NT 3.51?
  • nightice wrote:
    Hey...NT 3.51?
    but some operators are not abavailbe for use in 3.51 (GUI)... So many 32bits do not work...
  • 3.51 can run most win95 apps.