need networking help XP pro

2»

Comments

• TCP just has issues with Windows, let's leave it @ that.

-Q
  • When I had windows everything worked fine for me. It's just most people I know that use ICS and microsoftnetwork run into problems. Werid thing is I would take a look at it and all of the settings would be correct and nothing would work.

I take that back I had one problem way back when I frist got DSL. I had my network with a tokenring setup with sygate. Well when I got DSL I updated my network to 10/100 ethernet and reformated all of my computers to get rid of all of the crap I collected over the years. I used ICS and MS network and it worked fine for 30 minutes and then all of the sudden the network stoped working. The workstations were able to ping google.com but could go onto the google website and also the workstations did see eachother. I even had a network admin from work take a look see and he couldn't figure it out. Finaly me and a long time friend of mine on AIM got the network working again with WinGate. After a few months I got sick of the unstableness of WinGate and bought a router. Since then i've been network trouble free.
  • I am using a router!!! I do not use ICS
  • OK, well XP has done it again.

Behold the crapness of XP, it's unstable, gobbles resources like a fat bitch eating a pizza on tuesday.
  • Alright TCP this is a support thread, we don't need you to start another OS battle in here.

CW: What's the current status?

-Q
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    When I had windows everything worked fine for me. It's just most people I know that use ICS and microsoftnetwork run into problems. Werid thing is I would take a look at it and all of the settings would be correct and nothing would work.

I take that back I had one problem way back when I frist got DSL. I had my network with a tokenring setup with sygate. Well when I got DSL I updated my network to 10/100 ethernet and reformated all of my computers to get rid of all of the crap I collected over the years. I used ICS and MS network and it worked fine for 30 minutes and then all of the sudden the network stoped working. The workstations were able to ping google.com but could go onto the google website and also the workstations did see eachother. I even had a network admin from work take a look see and he couldn't figure it out. Finaly me and a long time friend of mine on AIM got the network working again with WinGate. After a few months I got sick of the unstableness of WinGate and bought a router. Since then i've been network trouble free.
    That is ALL sygates fault, I also have sygate installed on my computers. When it is enabled it blocks responses to my router... which makes my router think no ones there.... then I get cut off. Since being behind a router protects you (if properly configured) I keep it set to allow all, except for any computer I DMZ, but even then.. it continues to block port scans and stuff...
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    OK, well XP has done it again.

Behold the crapness of XP, it's unstable, gobbles resources like a fat bitch eating a pizza on tuesday.
    WoW! I've always known that there should be somone with me who hates WinXP...
    I agree that XP can be good when well-tuned, but it's not so easy to make that sometimes... And Linux never let me down.
  • Slash wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    OK, well XP has done it again.

WoW! I've always known that there should be somone with me who hates WinXP...
    I agree that XP can be good when well-tuned, but it's not so easy to make that sometimes... And Linux never let me down.
    Oh no... not another OS battle please.
  • Slash, mind you TCP isn't the most reliable and reputable when it comes to certain things.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am *so* buying that shirt. It probably wouldn't go over too well in school, though. ;)
  • Q I have given up for the time being... to hard right now to find time with the holidays comming up
  • OK. Maybe after New Years it'll've fixed itself :mrgreen: ::D :wink:

-Q
  • ok do you not understand that you only access things you've shared? i just want to make that clear and that each folder needs to have proper permissions... you should either log in as the user the doc and settings folder belongs to... as in if the user is lets say admin and you want to access C:\documents and settings\admin

over the network then log in as admin on the other PC... if this doesn't work then go to the security settings of that folder and make sure "everyone" has full control...

i have been playing around with this since i set up my domain... i have no problems at all... and i just noticed the user level access thing on 95... funny... i'd like to test it but every time i try to get the users and groups from the domain it freezes up 95.... O_O