Tabbed browsing in Firefox

edited December 2004 in Software
You know there are links that open in new windows in IE, right? Well I don't want firefox to do that. Instead I want them to open in new tabs. Except, I don't know how to do this. I want to switch to firefox, but this is driving me away. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Comments

• type in the address bar
    about:config

scroll down to find
    browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs

double clikc to change to true

go to options, advanced and then tick the box that says

force links to open in new

then change the radio button to tab
  • Thanks for that info, BOD. Never knew that.
  • Thanks. That was a lot of help.
  • They enabled that in RC1 or 2, but evidently it was still buggy so it was left off in the final release.

-Q
  • There was an extension that did that for 0.9.x.
  • HaHA!
    Opera could do that even since v3.x which was released in 1999!
  • Ffx probably got starting in 1999, and Ffx still "owns" bad singing.

-Q
  • OK. But this feature was introduced only recently...
  • phantom of the opera had a dodgyu interface last time i tried, maby its time i try it again
  • Last time I tried it I had to remove a T0N of stuff from the window, including that big thing on the left-hand side.

-Q
  • its a bit bloatted
  • Bloated? Well, if Opera is bloated, look at AOL...
  • AOL is something slapped ontopof IE isn't it? Or was that just in the past? W0 were are you?

-Q
  • AOL is crappy software and a container for the IE DLL.
  • I'd love to use FFX but it keeps bouncing.
  • You aren't trying to run it from the disk image are you?

-Q
  • Disk Image?
  • Wait, how do you mean "bouncing" ?

-Q
  • Like the page is bouncing.. What do you mean by disk image?
  • A Mac thing (I got you mixed with MrMac).

Can I like Remote Desktop to you and see? Maybe I could fix it?

-Q
  • uh..remote desktop, huh? dunno how..
  • Is it an XP machine?

-Q
  • Search in Start > Help and Support for "Remote Desktop" and it'll tell you about it.

-Q
  • Romote Desktop is a very ugly and unstable thing.,
    In one word, it SUCKS!
    Try to get Radmin, the finest program of that kind.
  • Q wrote:
    AOL is something slapped ontopof IE isn't it? Or was that just in the past? W0 were are you?

-Q
    w00t I've been called upon. Yes, aol relies heavily upon IE. If you had an older version of IE on your machine, some versions would force a newer one upon you, but it was seemingly.... not full. I remember AOL's IE setups being far too quick, in fact, you didn't know it was doing it, unless you watched the processes that launched and saw it's installation icon in the tray(just like their spyware, and quick time, and real player). It has been rumored that AOL is going to change or has changed, from what I have seen aol 9.0 still uses IE. But aparently AOL is making their own web browser which may be based off netscape (which they own). So, if they own netscape... does mozilla have ties with AOL? Also, I think AOL 2.5 and below did not use IE, but their own web browser, which I don't know what it is based on. But Aol 3.0 had IE 3. If you had the floppy version of AOL 3 then you had to download IE as a seperate update the first time you tried to browse the internet. I use the floppy version just because it's the only 16-bit 3.0 I have, the cds come with 4.0 only, unless you have an older one, I think I threw out all my 5.0s, I kept my 6.0, because I really only needed, and used that one, as it was before spyware was stuck forever (at least that build on that cd, newer versions forced it to be kept, real player and quick time were also forced, but my 6.0 doesn't care, as long as you remove them before it updates itself (many many many many times). Ok... need to stop ranting... I've had several LARGE posts already today....
  • Mozilla is an independant organization now, and AOL/NS is making a browser based on Ffx 0.9.3, take a l@@K, http://gemal.dk/misc/nsb05.png

-Q
  • yes... so it is using gecko.... but, it's using netscape as the name... I figured aol would be in every corner.
  • okay... Im kinda out of this..