Really wierd monitor settings

edited December 2004 in Hardware
The monitor on the HP (soon-to-be-server) gets really blurry after a few minutes of using it, especially text. I can turn down the contrast, but then it looks like crap. It's a generic brand with no controls other than the standard front bezel size, position, and contrast/brightness, which kind of limits my options for fixing it short of buying a new one.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Have you tried degausing it?
  • I can't degauss it. But the heat theory sounds reasonable. There isn't that much space for the heat on top to escape.
  • Maybe you can put a fan by it?
  • nightice wrote:
    I can't degauss it. But the heat theory sounds reasonable. There isn't that much space for the heat on top to escape.
    Take a magnet and move it across the screen...

Walla.
  • edited December 2004
    And if you don't know what that is, it's pretty much enough to kill you.

Or at least give yourself a good shock and throw you back a foot or two.
  • Maybe degaussing can help?
  • he cannot deguase...

Wow, going inside a CRT seems... really dangerous.
  • Steve wrote:
    And if you don't know what that is, it's pretty much enough to kill you.

Or at least give yourself a good shock and throw you back a foot or two.

not necsarily, volts dont mean shit, its amps thats determines how powerful it is :P
  • You can open it right away. Just have to avoid the tube wire and use a plastic vacum handle and brush.

If that doesn't work try switching the pots around. Some times their labeld and some times they're not. Find the sharpness pot and see if that clears up the picture. Remember to avoid the thick wire that connect to the top of the CRT picture tube. Also you need the monitor hooked up turned on when doing the pot tweaking. This way you know you have it set right.

Also make sure the tube circut card is tight in place. If all fails try tweaking around the yoke handles. be very careful not to put to much pressher and only move one at a time and very very slowly. Might need two people for this. One can look at the screen while you change the yoke handles.

If any of this doesn't work then the monitor might be crapping out.

I've done this with tons of TVs in the past and a few monitors. Most of the time it's just easyer to buy a new monitor when the vacum idea doesn't work.
  • I dunno about opening it up. Too much stuff for me to accidentally break. :P I think it does some sort of semi-degauss when it turns on...there's the typical click and fuzz you get when degaussing a monitor.
  • turn it off and leave it off for a while, works when my monitor goes all fuzzy
  • Wait, if it's a server, how much are you going to use that monitor (Just something to keep in mind before buying a new one)?

@ anyrate, you can discharge a CRT, but I don't remember exactly and don't wanna get something wrong and kill someone. Depending on how great your patience is, you might want to just unplug it, move it somewhere safe and leave it for some time (couple of days?) and then maybe.

Since this could cause significant harm, I'm not guaranteeing any of this.

-Q
  • Heh... I've been inside TV's and monitors a few times, I've also smashed monitors and TV's.... But yeah, don't go poking and proding wildly. In fact... by not putting both hands in there you could reduce the risk of electricity going through your heart (that'll kill you, or seriously screw up your heart rate).
  • And stand on some 2*4s too.

-Q
  • It's going to be a server and a development machine, so yeah, I am going to need the monitor.
  • UNPLUG THE DAMN THING FIRST!!!! duh LOL

That'll help minimize the shock risks. If what everyone is saying doesn't work, take it into a computer repair shop.
  • I'll see about moving it first...I was able to pull it out about 6 inches (it's in an enclosure-type thing) and it did seem sharper.
  • I'd recommend buying a new one from a place like TigerDirect over having an old one fixed.
  • Look around, ppl do throw out old ones that still work.

-Q
  • I was just going to say that, too.
  • specailyl schools and businesses
  • Tomchu wrote:
    jcmoor wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    I can't degauss it. But the heat theory sounds reasonable. There isn't that much space for the heat on top to escape.
    Take a magnet and move it across the screen...

Walla.

You're not serious, are you? You DO realize that'll damage the CRT, right? LOL

Anyway, I would suggest you open it up and give it a good vacuuming. Make sure you don't accidently change any of the dials/movable parts by the CRT tube. Oh, and make sure it's been off and unplugged for a good 3-5 hours before you open it up. Monitors can keep charges of up to 20 kV even after they've been off for a bit. :P

Sarcasm Tom, sarcasm... (fail)
  • trainer4 wrote:
    UNPLUG THE DAMN THING FIRST!!!! duh LOL

That'll help minimize the shock risks. If what everyone is saying doesn't work, take it into a computer repair shop.
    Although it may reduce risks... that doesn't change the fact that the capacitors will be storing serious charge for a good length of time (some tv sets still have rather strongly charged capacitors after a year or two). Standing on the blocks of wood would be a nice idea, reduce the chances of you grounding to something, maybe rubber soled shoes too.
  • Ridgeback, serious sounding sarcasm[sic] in a support thread is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. I don't think you want to learn that when someone comes back here sreaming that they took your advice and managed to destrory their hardware or worse.

-Q
  • If I tried that, trust me, you would have been so owned. Your PCs and anally.
  • edited December 2004
    Q wrote:
    Ridgeback, serious sounding sarcasm[sic] in a support thread is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. I don't think you want to learn that when someone comes back here sreaming that they took your advice and managed to destrory their hardware or worse.

-Q

You know, WinWorld should have something like a disclaimer saying it has no responsibility to losses to your equipment.

Then agian, I was wrong to say that....
  • I agree to both parts of that post.