Is this a good drive?

Comments

• BOD wrote:

Yeah, thats a good price, but personally I dont like maxtors. They have the after WD the highest fall-out rate (did I spell this correctly?)
    At the moment Hitachi and Seagate are the most reliable drives.
  • It's small.. get one that's like 220GB.
  • smg wrote:
    It's small.. get one that's like 220GB.
    I would but I have
  • oh. Then take that one.
  • I found a Seagate one
  • That one's better.
  • Take the Maxtor.
  • why? the saegate is better.
  • smg wrote:
    why? the saegate is better.
    its also over budget when i add on the delivery charge
  • aha. ok.
  • Maxtor's are the best.

I believe, correct me on this Roger, that it goes:

WesternDigital->Segate->Maxtor (Maxtor being the best, WD being the worst)
  • If so then it should be: WD<SG<Maxtor
  • i just ordered the maxtor :D should be here on thursday
  • I dont know what people have against WD. I have 3 WD Hdd's and they work great!

Data lifegaurd is the only bad thing, but thats optional.
  • Whats that?
  • Some software crap that WD gives out.

The only software you will ever need is Partition Magic and the little OEM BIOS Override software if you ever get a PC with outdated BIOS.
  • Isnt it true that if u upgrade BIOS the comp can die?
  • LMAO!!! No.

If you do it wrong (less than 5% chance) you can render your BIOS chip useless.
  • aha.. ok.
  • or theirs a power cut, or the file was corrputed dureing download or somethiung like that
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was looking in the ads at HDD's. They're so cheap here now. It's like $50/100GB.

I've seen
    160G $60
    200G $100
    300G $150
    400G $200

Of course SATA costs more, that's ATA IDE. 250G SATA $180

Of course these are rebated deals, but still it's so cheap.
  • Maxtors pwn.
  • Of what I heard Maxtors are indeed the best.
  • I can hardly find Maxtor drives at the computer shops around here. So i'm stuck with Seagate or Western Digital. I hate ordering HDs over the net. The lastone I got the box had been curnched up. Don't want to chance the drive getting smashed lol. If it would get smashed then I would have to fight UPS and the company I bought it from. Oh and last time I bought a seagate was from tigerdirect and the damn thing had bad sectors. I called them wanting to return it for a new one and they said it's seagates problems and not theres. I called seagate and they said it was tigerdirect's problem. This went back and forth for 2 hours untill I told tigerdirect if they didn't replace it then I would send it back and void the payment. They sent me a new drive.
  • Yea, but thats how it goes. If you type like "Caution, thin glass" or something on the posted box, then they smash it.
  • smg wrote:
    Yea, but thats how it goes. If you type like "Caution, thin glass" or something on the posted box, then they smash it.

LOL you got a point there, just dont tell them its fragile
  • That happened to me when I bought an Atari XE from Poland.. Smashed..
  • Courier employees seem to think "Fragile" means "Throw it to the back of the truck with the rest of the suckers" a lot of the time.
  • edited December 2004
    i am glad that newegg wraps their OEM HDDs in 4 layers of bubble wrap... and uses that styrofoam stuff in boxes.