To all 64Bit Users

edited January 2005 in Software
Im thinking of Getting an AMD64 just to enter the 64bit world. Just a question to all the current Winboards 64bit ers. What OS are you using as thats the main deciding factor im not so sure about before buying one. Oh also how does the OS run on a 64 Bit Machine.

Thanks
Richard

Comments

• What about XP 64 Bit
  • Didnt think it was out or available yet. Main reason why im asking.

Richard
  • I think it's out already, unless M$ is wrong...
  • Windows XP 64bit is coming out...

But right now I'm just using Windows XP Pro... I'll probably switch to SuSe 9.1 soon (maybe!)...
  • And Windows XP Pro works fine on the 64bit Processor then.

Richard
  • Yeah... but it doesn't take advantage of the 64bit features.
  • XP64 is like half complete... server 2k364 is worse
  • partialy why I'm waiting till 2oo6 or so to consider one...
  • XP and 2003 X8664 are both in Beta, you can get them free from MS. The problem's they're not fully complete (2003 doesn't have WMP, OE, IE, or a host of other stuff yet), and don't run DOS or Win16 apps. On the up side, neither has WPA.

All stuff that runs on normal x86 should run on an A64 with no problems.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, I've seen XP-64... Even can't say it's beta. Works not worse than normal XP.
  • From what I have been told with Win2k and WinXP with a AMD 64bit CPU it will run in 32bit legacy mode but as a dual CPU setup. It doesn't say that ir's a dual CPU but it runs as one. If im wrong then im wrong.
  • Err? I've never heard about that quality...

-Q
  • Like I said. I was told by this from a few hardcore AMD users, but yet they don't own a AMD64 system. Altough there was a computer tech that tryed to sell me one before when they first came out and I told him I would have to use a 64bit OS and he also told me it works as dual. The only thing I can think of is to email or call AMD and ask about some info on it.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    but yet they don't own a AMD64 system.

Great.... who would i listen to more? someone who actually has used/tested a amd64 (tomchu) or someone who doesnt own one (those ppl)?

you make the choice.
  • i was refering to TCP's dual core.
  • All I'm saying is I've had countless people telling me that it can run as a dual core and others telling me it doesn't. I'm not saying it does or not ok. I don't know!
  • i've heard rumors bout that dual core too, but i don't believe that, thought that was another crap
  • Tomchu wrote:
    AMD is going to RELEASE dual-core K8's later this year, but no ... currently K8s are single core, and as such, operate like a single core.
    AMD proably would not do this.. THen less people will invest in 64-bit technology... Also try running longhorn...
  • I wonder who that was...

-Q
  • Yeah... who is so brave to mage arguments against Tomchu! LOL
  • Q wrote:
    I wonder who that was...

-Q
    noone? whats the ipinfo?
  • adsl-68-250-128-216.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net It doesn't correspond to any usrs IP...

-Q