Linux Sucks....a short [s]story[/s] article by James Babb

edited April 2005 in Software
Well that's all i can say. I tried using it as a server and it was being a pain in the ass.

perl in it didnt want to install the net::aim module.

and a whole bunch of other problems....

Time to try FreeBSD!!!!!!!!

Maybe it will work!!!!

Hopefully.........

anyway......discuss your opinions on linux and freebsd as a server workstation with server applications.

Comments

• Probability that this will turn into a flame/fight: ~>97%

-Q
  • No, we'll just agree.

=)

FreeBSD > Linux
  • You know exactly what I mean, and you'll likely be a semi to major part of it.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • its NOT that bad, rough along the edges and needs some major work (as in the video and the kernel development) and it would be a okay os.
  • why the and
  • Mr. C wrote:
    why the and

on SOME forum programs tags cross something out
  • bbCode doesn't work on titles AFAIK.
  • Steve wrote:
    bbCode doesn't work on titles AFAIK.

on my old forum they did.

Ah. The marvels of manually modding phpBB.
  • With a mod you can, sure.
  • I like Linux, many may say it is crap and BSD is better, BSD is great, for for some people, Linux just seems more "welcoming" to the unix-y world.
  • i like both bsd and linux
    i have more control over linux and how it runs but bsd is more secure than linux.
  • i like BSD better than linux, but linux is still good
  • why do u blame linux and not your fucken stupid brains? think of yourself first before blaming an OS. It's obvious you've said that because you havent managed with linux.
  • Linux sucks cockturds. End of story.

Why do you always tell us to use it? Did it ever come to mind that we *HAVE* used it. I have used it. It's just complete and utter garbage. I'm not going to touch it with a ten foot pole.
  • Yeah, End of story. Steve is a dickhead. I always knew that.

BTW, is there a mod to phpbb that allows to hide messages from certain user?
  • I'm a Linux n00b. And I understood it's cool.
    Unlike you, goddamn professional, that can't see obvious things. Open your eyes. Can Windows run a sound player, a cd ripper and a floppy formatter with an internet browser at the same time without any slowdown? The answer is: "NO" or "Unless you have a Pentium-5"
  • Slash wrote:
    I'm a Linux n00b. And I understood it's cool.
    Unlike you, goddamn professional, that can't see obvious things. Open your eyes. Can Windows run a sound player, a cd ripper and a floppy formatter with an internet browser at the same time without any slowdown? The answer is: "NO" or "Unless you have a Pentium-5"

yes
  • I like linux over freebsd, i do like freebsd, it just isn't suited for me. Many perfer windows over simplicity, some perfer linux and BSD as an escape from windows, some perfer BSD because it is secure, some perfer linux because it is pretty simple to use, but can be as hard as you want it at times.

Steve and Tomchu, why do you guys bash linux sooo much? It gets more annoying than anything. Do you see us bashing BSD? No, actually i haven't seen 1 single BSD bashing post in this forum. Do you see people bashing Windows? No!
  • Do you see people bashing Windows? No!

/me looks at slash....
  • BOD wrote:
    Slash wrote:

yes

LMAO Dude.... I got Trillian 3, 4 Firefox Windows, Winamp, 6 BT downloaders, Nero 6 (idle), mIRC, Dreamweaver open.

I notice *NO* slowdown.
  • earlier i had like dreamweaver flash and i was playing vice city..... didnt notice a thing
  • And I had VPC open also. Also eMule, MySQL Command Center, and Fireworks that I didn't notice.
  • Slash wrote:

ummm yeah it can run it easily without a slow down. Maybe Windows ME might have had some problems but even XP on my old P3 500 did not slow when i did that.

Right now on my P4 Non-HT 2.4 ghz machine running XP, I have winamp, 3 windows of firefox, trillian, seti, a couple explorers open, PERL, VMWare (64 mb of ram), and crimson editor. Its a tad bit slower than normal, but if i closed VMWare, its just fine. Not slowed down on bit.

NOW ON X....I opened up the same things....same machine, and it really slowed down to almost unusable. Made my point?

Anyway...I have decieded on a server OS. I am using Windows XP on my server.
  • Can you do the same thing on a PII with 96MB?

No?

I've often found that Linux runs better than Windows on older PCs.
  • BOD wrote:
    Do you see people bashing Windows? No!

BOD looks at slash....
    That was not bashing, that was the fact.
  • Yes on older machines......but if you have a modern machine....what will linux gain you? nothing.
  • Maybe I've never used a real PC...