CPU Upgrade

edited February 2005 in Hardware
Alright, this Dell that i'm on (yes, it is a Dell that was all borked and was given to me because it had a messed up hdd, crappy vid card, and only 64 MB SDRAM. So I fixed it up and it is my main PC) has an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard with a 400 MHz slot 1 CPU. Now, would this be able to hold a 450 MHz slot one?

Comments

• Maby, maby not.

Look at the manual.
  • It doesn't tell me much. All that it says is 300, 400, or 450 MHz and the mobo type.
  • It says 450 MHz in the manual, what do you expect? :P
  • Steve wrote:
    It says 450 MHz in the manual, what do you expect? :P
    Well it just says what type of PC you could have. It's not like it says: "Your mobo supports 300, 400, or a 450 MHz CPU"
  • Depending on your BIOS version, you could go up to a 850MHz P3.
  • Your 450 should work.
  • I don't have it (yet) because I am going to buy it off of ebay.
  • Mine is P03.
    Do you think I should flash it?
  • If you're comfortable with it, I don't see why not.
  • Well, I just tried flashing it to P17, it didn't want to do it because it gave me some error like "disk wrong size" or something. Let me try an earlier version.
  • Argh...

P17 is all that I can find..... Does anyone know where I can find P07 or above?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No, it was like when I tried to actually flash the BIOS. It had to do with something another "size" didn't match....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok, Im trying this on a brand new one....
  • No luck :(
  • use a CD :P
  • jcmoor wrote:
    I don't have it (yet) because I am going to buy it off of ebay.

Get a faster CPU. you wont really notice the difference between the 400 mhz or 450mhz. Get a 550mhz+ Pentium III cpu instead.
  • I would if I could get the BIOS to flash....
  • I had a Dell OEM Pentium II Motherboard, and I know how to flash an OEM motherboard with an Intel BIOS! To do this, just place the computer in "BIOS Restore Mode," which can be achieved by removing the jumper i on J8B2 (the Intel website should tell you which one this is). After you have turned the computer off, and have removed this jumper, insert the floppy disk containing the BIOS file. Turn on the computer and wait for a single, long beep <THERE WILL BE NO GRAPHICS ON YOUR DISPLAY, DURING THIS PROCESS>. The computer will access the floppy disk, and overwrite its bios with the one on the floppy disk. This will take a long time, e.g. 2 minutes, and a beep, as well as the Floppy LED going out will indicate that the BIOS has been flashed successfully. Return the Jumper to its original place (J8B2), remove the floppy and you are ready to go.

Please remember to backup your previous BIOS, since this process is DANGEROUS. Also remember to use the right BIOS, or you will be left with a defunct motherboard. About the processor speeds, you can use any Pentium II/III processor with your motherboard, EXCEPT the ones which use the Intel Coppermine, e.g. 600MHZ+.