nVidia video and Fedora Core 3

edited February 2005 in Software
I got really pissed off at Windows XP on my AMD 64 system so I installed Fedora Core 3 64bit. Runs hella sweet too. One problem is the built in generic nvidia drivers sucks major ass. The nvidia driver installer is very picky about X-Windows running. Even if you logout of X-Win by the CTRL+ALT+F1 function it still thinks X-Windows is running. Anyway, what i'm getting at is I found a way to get the drivers to install and work correctly. I even made a howto guide while it was still fresh in my head lol. Heres the howto.

=======================================

GeForce Video for Fedora Core 3 Howto
By TCPMeta

Fedora is a bit tricky to add new drivers since udev gets in the way and the nVidia installer doesn't like to work in X-Windows. This guide will help you bypass all of that and have full flege drivers for your Videocard.

This was done with a system with the following specs.

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
K8 Triton (GA-K8NSNXP) Motherboard
512MB ram
GeForce FX 5200
Pioneer 8x DVD+RW
80GB IDE
40GB and 30GB IDE RAID-0
Fedora Core 3

Well lets get to it.

Step one.
Download your drivers from nvidia.com Since I have a 64bit CPU I went with the AMD-64 drivers. Anyway, after you have downloaded them logout and get to the login screen then press CTRL+ALT+F1 to go into the console.

Step two.
Login as root and go into the directory that has the .run file you downloaded. Issue the chmod 777 command to the file then extract it with the --extract-only command.

Example:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6629-pkg2.run --extract-only

Noe go into the directory that it extracted to

Example:

cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6629-pkg2

Now run the following command.

make install

Step three.
After you have installed the drivers now issue theses commands so udev won't go nuts or make the system hang.

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

Step four.
You're almost done. You have done the easy part, this is where it gets tricky. Now to edit the xorg.conf file. Fedora uses the x.org X-Window system it uses a diffrent config file. Trust me on this. I used EMacs as my editor for this so i'll use it as a example.

Example:
emacs /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Search for a entry that states ( Load "dri" )
This is with out the ( ). Now look for the entry that states ( Driver "nv" ) change the "nv" to say "nvidia"

For thoses of you that don;t know the EMacs commands just hit the following.

F10
f
s

Then hit

F10
f
e

After that just hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE. When Fedora loads up into the GUIish system shck the nVidia logo should popup for a second, this means the driver is working. Well good luck and happy gamming.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pretty good, I seem to get a better frame rate in Linux then in Windows.
  • yea, i heard chess is pretty fast
  • Tomchu wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    yea, i heard chess is pretty fast

LMAO

TCP: Yea, until you try to run a DX9 game.

FX5200s are the total opposite of "rockz0ring".
    ROFLMAO!!!!

CHESS????

Play a REAL game.
  • No, like this:

AASF.jpg
  • Chess "owns", but I'd prefer it in real life
  • "I see. The number of games worth playing under Linux are countable on one hand."

Right.

There are plenty more than that:

ArmyOps, Cube, Descent 3, Deus Ex, Heavy Gear, Heretic, Reaper....
  • Those games = all really old lol
  • So, just because some of them are doesn't mean their not worth playing.

Even you play Starcraft and Age of Empires.
  • So, if they're've been games ported/made in the past, why less of them now, if that's the case?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    So, if they're've been games ported/made in the past, why less of them now, if that's the case?

-Q
    You mean WINDOWS games that are sold in stores?
  • You and Fish making it sound like there are tons of old games that've been ported/made for Linux, so why the seeming reduction of them lately?

-Q
  • I have no earthly idea.

Laziness

(I think Quake III was ported to linux and ArmyOps is almost brand new)
  • Q3 is for Linux, along with every id game since Doom 1.9.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Josh: Most of those games are <= 1995. Not that they're bad -- but got anything newer? LOL

So, this is my question, why the pre 96 stuff, but supposedly littleafter that.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Quake 3 was the first iD game that was natively released for Linux -- everything before it was done by the community after the source was released, AFAIK.

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/linux/

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/unix/

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake2/unix/
  • Q1 got ported to Solaris (SPARC)!?

-Q
  • I dunno why. Usually Zoid leaves it at Linux, tho the original Doom had ports in the works for stuff like OS/2 and QNX.
  • Of course they aren't going to be created at the same time.....

I mean come on, these people create games for Windows, not LINUX and half the time they don't even know HOW to port them (or they are too lazy)....
  • Tom - a little bit after.
  • They were all done by id. In fact, because of licensing (sound library) issues, the released Doom/Doom II source is for Linux. Heretic and Hexen had the DOS source released and will not compile without quite a bit of editing.

If you have the Unofficial Doom FAQ Version 6.66 handy, check the ports section (i think in dmfaq66c.txt). There's like 30.
  • I play Quake3, Doom3, ET, CS, Half-Life2 and some other games just fine in Linux. On further note I do not even have thoses cheezy games installed on here that were mentioned earlyer. Tux Racer is crap!
  • Speaking of CS, I tried running that on here the other day... 1152x864, and I get a steady 70FPS LOL