nVidia video and Fedora Core 3

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • if i had counterstrike id go test. but not even jdoom on here got 60fps :|
  • Tomchu wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    I play Quake3, Doom3, ET, CS, Half-Life2 and some other games just fine in Linux. On further note I do not even have thoses cheezy games installed on here that were mentioned earlyer. Tux Racer is crap!

As far as "fine" on an FX5200 under Linux under Cedega goes. LOL
    Speaking of CS, I tried running that on here the other day... 1152x864, and I get a steady 70FPS LOL

Anyone else here think that Tim is either lying, or running the game on such low details that it looks like mush? :P

I can get screenshots later on :P
  • The blur is (game-wise) about 15 feet away. Its not really blur, its just less texturized.
  • Tom, CS uses the old Quake2 engine. The Voodoo3 can handle it very well. Now if it was CS: Source then it's diffrent since it's the old CS redone to use the Half-Life2 engine.
  • Actually, CS uses the Half-Life engine, which is a 75% or so rewrite of the Quake engine.
  • Half-life came from a pretty big chunk of the Quake2 engine. Yea they rewrote a lot of code but at the same time it's still based from the Quake2 engine.
  • Same tools also work for a bunch of Q2 devlopment, have to think about it there, the Q2 engine was baicly a rebuilt Q1 engine with better textures and crap. ID used a lot of DOOM egnine code for the Q1 engine and went from there. Ofcorse the DOOM3 engine was a total diffrent build.
  • I. am. auditioning. to. be. William. Shatner.

-Q

PS. Sorry, OT I know but it reminds be too much of him to leave that out.
  • STFU,
    Both Half-Life and CS are based on Quake 2 Engine, which has nothing in common with Q1 engine. They are completely different.
  • I thought ID software made a full rewrite of quake 1 engine when making Q2
  • Because the previous one sucked (Isn't that usually the reason ppl do complete rewrites (That or maybe un-updatable obsolescense?)?)? I don't know...

-Q
  • q1 engine was based on VESA
    while q2 is based on opengl
  • But does that mean you have to completely rewrite it? I mean, is it totally dependent on those or is there some abstraction?

-Q
  • Don't know, I just tell you the information I've seen on other gaming forums.
  • Really? I could have sworn that se said somewhere that after D3 converted to C++, there was pretty much no Q3 code left. Although I'm still kinda wondering about the console font.
  • Yeah, they converted the engine over to C++ at some point. He said something like he still likes C better, but classes are very handy for organization of code.