Finding CPU upgrades....

edited March 2005 in Hardware
I'm thinking of getting a CPU upgrade for the server. Currently, it has a Socket 7 Pentium 166 with MMX. The board is a Tatung P2000-R00B, and I found all of 1 page on it. Is there anywhere I can find more info on what processors this board will support?

Comments

• Most likely any MMX CPU up to 233, possibly 266.

At the most, the board MIGHT support an AMD K6-II if it can do the same voltage.
  • They're so cheap (~$12 each) I might as well pick up 3 or 4 and see which ones work.
  • Go to the manufacturer 's website and see if they have a archive of the older moboc and get your manual for it. Or you can get the BIOS string and go on www.motherboards.org
  • Tatunt doesn't even acknowledge that they might have made mobos. Motherboards.org doesn't seem to have anything.
  • Well its eather too old or the website doesn't have knolege of the company that made it.

Seems like from my search on google that it came from a HP. Heres the model.

Quick Silver Tatung P2000-R00B: 3100
  • I *knew* it was a from an HP Pavilion 3100. It wouldn't be in any other because of the extremely custom case design. That page was the only one I found.
  • I bet HP has like a PDF format manual somewhere on their site that has the info you need.
  • Nope. In fact, there only seem to be 7 references to Tatung at all on HP's site.
  • edited March 2011
    This Cpu Is 550mhz And Works In Socket 7 Computers. Its Just You Need A Good Mobo And Its Lastest Bios Firmware.

Around $15 .. lol

Ebay For It... Always A Few ..
    ________
    THE CIGAR BOSS
  • PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.4
    Copyright 1985-1997 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Copyright 1997 by Hewlett Packard, Inc.
    Rev. 1.00.03

BIOS setup:
    BIOS Version 4.06 08/20/97

I'm not certain...
  • brynet wrote:
    This Cpu Is 550mhz And Works In Socket 7 Computers. Its Just You Need A Good Mobo And Its Lastest Bios Firmware.

Around $15 .. lol

Ebay For It... Always A Few ..
    550Mhz you say.... what brand? Is it a powerleap or something?
  • Actually, i did find an upgrade (from HP), but the readme says nothing about processors (although it fixed an issue when an LG stick and a 166MHz processor are in the system).
  • well a safe cpu to try would probably be the Pentium 1 MMX @ 233Mhz, that is the fastest pentium 1 cpu for socket 7, anything else is an overdrive or brand that may not actually be compatible with your board.
  • Does he have a regular Pentium or MMX? They use different voltages.
  • Yes that's true, the MMX uses 3.3V while the non-MMX models use 3.5. I'd say if he uses a non-MMX cpu right now... then his board will probably (either through jumpers or voltage detection) use an MMX.
  • It's an MMX at 166MHz.
  • then I'm almost certain that it will take a 233.
  • Good...now to do something about the 64MB memory limit...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh.. well a friend who is working on a computer found the mobo page and it was listing all the cpus it supported

CPU I/O Voltage
    CPU
    3.5 V - Intel P54C, AMD K5, Cyrix 6x86, IDT WinChip
    3.3 V - Intel P55C (MMX), AMD K6/ K6-2, Cyrix 6x86L/ 6x86MX/ MII

It says 3.5 and 3.3 on that... maybe different versions used more or less voltage.

Hrm.. that is a poor chart... the MMX did use about 2.8, the second generation pentiums used 3.3, but the earlier forms used 3.5
  • W0 - is it by any chance an HP Pavilion 3100 or 3200?

I found a Yahoo Group about support for HP Pavilions, and one of the guys there said it would only take up to 200.
  • The computer is a packard bell.. it takes various processor types.... pentium, amd k5, k6, k6-2, cyrix. Well anyways, yours may or may not support as many, but that's up to you to find out, you said you would buy a few, I'm saying an MMX 233 is one you should definately try. Does your mobo have clock/voltage jumpers? Or is it all automated?
  • A 233 MHz MMX will just underclock to 166 MHz.

And I doubt and AMD K6-II will be supported.
  • Steve wrote:
    A 233 MHz MMX will just underclock to 166 MHz.

And I doubt and AMD K6-II will be supported.
    ... is that your final answer?
    Steve wrote:
    Most likely any MMX CPU up to 233, possibly 266.

At the most, the board MIGHT support an AMD K6-II if it can do the same voltage.
    Make up your mind, you've said it may, and that it won't.

None of us can say what will happen. Aparently the board's limits are in the shady area. I do stick to my suggestion of a 233. I still would like to know if the motherboard have voltage/bus speed/clock multiplier jumpers or dip switches, or if it is all controlled by the bios.
  • I have no idea. I don't think there's any jumpers (or they're hidden by the badly designed case), and the BIOS isn't good for shit.
  • That was before you sid 200 max. :P

When I heard 200 MHz max, theres no way a K6-II is going to fit in there.
  • nightice wrote:
    I have no idea. I don't think there's any jumpers (or they're hidden by the badly designed case), and the BIOS isn't good for shit.
    Well uh.... take off the case, and look at the motherboard.... use a flashlight if you need to.... Usually jumpers are around the edge, though they can be somewhere in the middle, or located under every hardware cable in there....
  • Steve wrote:
    That was before you sid 200 max. :P

When I heard 200 MHz max, theres no way a K6-II is going to fit in there.

It's apparently 200 max. The guy I was talking to tried a 233 from a junked machine, perhaps it was a bad proc.

I was able to find a mobo diagram. The jumpers I was able to find and access are circled.

mobo_jumpers.jpg
  • You can use a Powerleap MMX adapter to use up to an AMD K6-2 450MHZ Processor on your socket 7 PC. That solves a lot of speed problems, and is cheap (I saw one for $12.00 on eBay). However, the highest rated processor that you can use without this is an Intel Pentium MMX 233MHZ processor.
  • Oh, that really slipped my mind.

Yeah, try one of them to get a K6-II.