Fixing Windows 2003 Boot

edited February 2005 in Software
Well, my Dad decided to get "experimental" and reformat and dual XP with 2003. So after he installs 2003 he decides to install XP (because he needed an OS that supported half of his hardware). Well, now XP boots and when you select "Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" on the boot menu it just reboots the PC.

I haven't touched anything yet but here is the disk config:

Windows XP - Hard Disk 1, Partition 1
Windows 2003 - Hard Disk 0, Partition 1

What should the boot.ini config look like?

Comments

• It might be better to install XP, then 2003.
  • But....Why are dual booting it in the first place?

XP and 2003 are so alike, it really makes no difference.

Hell let's dual boot Windows 2000 Workstation, Server, and Advanced Server on the same PC!
  • 2003 does NOT support his soundcard, the ATI TV card, and a bunch of other unknown devices that were showing up.
  • Hmm, I'll go find me a Windows 2000 4-in-1, I'ma have nothing to do over feb. vacation next week...
  • P.S Im not re-installing any OS.
  • If 2003 doesn't suport the sound card and video card, then why are you dual booting it?
  • Because he was going to experiment with setting up a server or something.

IM not the one dual booting it. He is. So any idea whats wrong/what the boot.ini needs to look like?
  • It is always a good idea to install the newer OS last, but since you didn't, there's a way to do it.

Microsoft explains how to do it with WinXP. It should work with Windows 2003 too. Goto http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... o_evwd.asp and follow their instructions. They explain it for WinXP, so substitute WinXP with 2003 and it should work. Then fix your boot.ini file. Make sure you choose to fix your WINDOWS 2003 INSTALL! not the XP one.
  • Aaah. I dont get any of these error messages (as explained on the MS site):

"A disk read error occurred.
    NTLDR is missing.
    NTLDR is compressed."
  • doesn't matter. It replaces the NTLDR for the windows install (in your case, 2003)
  • I tried fiboot, and fixmbr. Both didn't work. So I got out my server 2003 disk and replaced NTLDR manually. Worked like a charm.
  • There's a switch for fixboot that will make it scan for OSes and rebuild the boot.ini. I can't remember offhand what it is.
  • Thats not fixboot thats bootcfg.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nope. I tried installing the ATI TV card software/drivers that came with the card. Did it work? NO.

BTW WHY would Windows detect the TV card? It only detects it as a 9200 Pro.
  • Did youtry getting drivers from ATI's site? They MIGHT work.......
  • Tried that as well. All that did was install the same driver that Windows detected it as but with ATI written all over it. Still, no TV card support.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Aren't you the newb who uses all the default Windows drivers for everything?

i do that depending on what PC it is, if its for performance or somthign then go find the drivers yourself fromt he manufactor's site....... but if its for like a server or some computer you just want to get up and running then its fine to use the windows drivers......

like the p4 uses manufactor's drivers cause i want performance out of it......

but the server uses windows drivers cause i just want it up and running, plus i don't have the manufactor's drivers and i don't feel like going and downloading them, when for what i need the server to do windows drivers work fine.......

there's a reason to do either one, doing one or the other doens't make you a "n00b"
  • Maybe not important enough to warrant the effort, especially if the hardware is obscure or unsupported on whatever OS.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Actually, it does. Performance isn't important on a server?!

By God, let me go inform all the companies snatching up dual Opterons!

i'm mostly talking about video/sound cards they can use windows drivers and be fine, for a server your not looking for performance on your video card or sound. the only one your looking for performance is the NIC, then the system its self
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Actually, it does. Performance isn't important on a server?!

By God, let me go inform all the companies snatching up dual Opterons!

depends what you're hosting, My 333 is fine for my uses :P
  • Tomchu wrote:
    The question is why do you even have a sound card in the server?

Wanted to build a server on the cheap and couldn't find a mobo without integrated sound?

Picked up an older machine, perhaps?

Really, your overlooking of such obvious facts is astounding.
  • Tom, doesnt your server have sound capabilities?
  • Why is this topic still alive? The problem has been solved....
  • Dude, this aint oldos
  • jcmoor wrote:
    Why is this topic still alive? The problem has been solved....

seriously, but to answer tomchu's question, i got a much older system that had a bad motherboard and i pulled the sound card out of it and stuck in it in the server, but also because at this point its not only a server but a secondary desktop, i plan to build a dedicated server next and have no intention of installing a sound card.....

and you talk about us over looking facts and not thinking things out, did you not think of this?
  • BOD wrote:
    Dude, this aint oldos
    Unfortunately..