when will windows me be abandonware?

edited March 2005 in Software
I was just wondering when windows me will be abandonware. First of all it crashes the most of all versions of windows, that is what I heard I donno if it is true but I wanna find out too. Windows ME doesn't seem to get any support from Microsoft or give support to Microsoft (no one buys it anymore so Microsoft don't pay money for it)
________
Gsv-r

Comments

• Windows ME is still sold in stores. Ive seen it along with 2000.
  • Except ME costs loads more. I've seen 2000 Pro for $299 in a display with XP Pro for $199.
  • XP pro is like 300+ USD here.
  • edited February 2011
    Windows ME is probably still in stores but who buys it? I don't know anyone who buys it anyways
    ________
    Yamaha blaster specifications
  • ....Maby people who have PC's that can't run any other OS?

Though I'd go for 98SE over ME. It's basicly the same thing and will run a tad faster.
  • Steve wrote:
    ....Maby people who have PC's that can't run any other OS?

Though I'd go for 98SE over ME. It's basicly the same thing and will run a tad faster.
    If you can't run any other OS but Windows ME, youv'e got some problems.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    Steve wrote:
    ....Maby people who have PC's that can't run any other OS?

If you can't run any other OS but Windows ME, youv'e got some problems.
    Some people don't wanna stress older hardware, like PII's, and prefer something like ME because XP will get too hard to use after a while.
  • Get hard to use? What?

Windows 98SE or 2000 should be used in place of ME anytime.
  • I suppose. I thought you were saying that they should be able to put XP on it or something.
  • That's why I wrote the bottom part -- I'd prefer 98SE over ME any day.

And a Pentium II isn't really what would slow down XP/2000. It's more RAM and/or HD.

When Pentium II's came out up until Pentium II's went out, 64MB was enough to power 95, NT4, and 98.
  • edited February 2011
    well actually win 98se is not only a tad bit faster but I would say more stable.
    ________
    Medical marijuana grow
  • It depends on if the user knows how to tweak XP to run smoothly on older systems and it also depends on other system resources (RAM, HDD space, etc.).
  • noname wrote:
    I was just wondering when windows me will be abandonware. First of all it crashes the most of all versions of windows, that is what I heard I donno if it is true but I wanna find out too. Windows ME doesn't seem to get any support from Microsoft or give support to Microsoft (no one buys it anymore so Microsoft don't pay money for it)

To answer your question, Windows ME is infact in extended support phase. Critical updates are still provided through Windows Update. Windows ME extended support ends on June 30, 2006. Online support for WinME ends June 30, 2007. So, Windows Millenium Edition has a long way to go before it hits the abandonware phase.
  • It's got something like a year and some to go before we'd really consider it ABW.

-Q
  • ME has already left mainstream support. It does have like a year or so left before it enters it's last support phase. So it's slowly moving towards the abw world.
  • edited February 2011
    oh welol just be sure to get a copy of it too. Also my friend said he was searching for something and all he found was download windows 1.0 I don't know what he searched for but I wish I saved it now because you guys need it
    ________
    Gm foods
  • We've seen a number of "Windows 1.0"s, so far all of them we've tested've been fakes (Usually Windows 1.01 misidentified).

-Q
  • edited February 2011
    oh well are you sure it is windows 1.01 misidentified (I don't know how similar 1.0 is to 1.01)

or it says it in the setup?...
    ________
    Rolls-Royce Plc
  • who would *want* to use windows ME anyways?
  • When almost any Windows starts up it displays its specific version number. We install a "Windows 1.0!" and it says 1.01 we know it's fake.

-Q
  • edited February 2011
    oh

also I just want to see if it crashes more then anything
    ________
    Wholesale Vaporizers
  • BOD wrote:
    who would *want* to use windows ME anyways?
    n00bs who can't tell the difference in performance.
  • I used ME in a virtual machine and it was ok. I put ME on my pentium 1 to see it on a real machine... it was... a little less ok.... I guess if it was on a computer used very little it would do ok... but one might as well keep 98 or get 2000 and just pretend ME (like MS-BOB) never existed.

As for the windows 1.0 deal... I don't think anyone is going to get a hold of it. 1.01-1.04 can be found almost anywhere. Oh and .99.... yeah that's a fake too....
  • Windows 1.00 supposedly had some severe bug and was recalled/replaced within 2 weeks. Some have said it was a memory leak (which was quite an issue on 640k of memory, even though it is enough for everybody).
  • Yes, I recall Windows 1.0 was rushed to be finished before the Winter, which would slow down production being in Seatle.

I'm not too sure if this is true, but it would explain why Windows 1.0 had bugs in it.
  • Actually, tiled-only windows were supposedly because users didn't understand overlapping windows. LOL
  • This is Windows 1.0, not the Apple Lisa now.
  • I'd soo like to see a Mac XL.

-Q
  • edited February 2011
    hmm well I guess that explains it.

My dad said that when he was in college he had a system that was working good or had the system requirements for windows 1.04 (and that time this pc would be like the best around)

he still has that computer but it is like the worst now. it has 2mb ram, I donno what kind of processor, something around a few mb hard drive (I think 100mb or some thing around that)

I am not sure about those system specs (because the computer doesn't work anymore) but it was close.

I thought one of the best systems out there 15 years ago, now it is the worst, OMG
    ________
    Michigan medical marijuana dispensaries
  • He still have that system ::D?

-Q