Server shutdown - hurstunlimited.com

edited March 2005 in Software
I'm sick of my website doing fuck all and not contributing to anything, so until I actually put something on it and design something thats worthwhile, the bastard is getting taken down. That means hurstunlimited@gmail.com will be my primary mail address until the server is back online.

All projects such as HUL OS etc will be halted, because frankly I dopn't have the time for them anymore. I have more improtant things to concentrate on.

And if anyone thinks my website actually did something, you're just being nice.

Comments

• wow.... umm.... ok........
  • ....OK.....

That's a bit odd. :?
  • Sorry, I was having a temporary loss of judgement yesterday, hurstunlimited.com will be back up after some updates.
  • On a slightly better note, I need some help with deciding on an OS for my server.
    It currently has NT 4.0 Server, and is only a Pentium 166 with 64MB RAM.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Any would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    > Zen
  • Slackware Linux 10.1. My server has the same specs and it runs beautifully.
  • Try out SME Server Linux...everything in 1 package
  • i've tried sme server, but i didn't like the way it managed everything for you and wou;dn't even let you onto the command prompt
  • You can get onto the command prompt on SME.
  • i never figured out how to when i had it on the server, but i get confused easily
  • to get to a command prompt, press F2, or F3, or F4. To get back to server manager, pres F1.. If you need help with it, i could help some, just IM me
  • cheers TcH, i might try out SME server on one of my other PCs again, see how well i can get it working, and then transfer over to the server
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hmm, I was able to get a Slack box down to 90MB once. Of course, that's pretty hard now what with the increasing package sizes (especially the kernel and modules) (that was on 8.1), but...right now my base system in 155MB. I'm sure I could cut out some stuff by removing most of the kernel modules.

See, I don't use Windows on a server because it uses craploads more space and comes with this GUI you'll never use.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Really? I could swear that you use the GUI when doing server administration ... hmm ... :-?

Anyway, Linux is garbage. If you MUST go Unix, go *BSD. Otherwise, stick with Windows.

Sure, you use the GUI when you initally set up the server, but that's about it. A server should not need to be administered often enough after initial setup that a GUI frontend needs to be used.

And anyway, why I prefer Linux (especially Slackware) to FreeBSD (not just for servers):
    • Apache config is stored in a logical place, namely, with the config for the rest of the system in /etc
    • Many programs can interface with gpm, none I found that can use moused
    • FTP daemon in standard install supports upload and download resume
    • Installation can be tweaked down to very small amounts (90-120mb) through an easy-to-use package manager
    • On the FreeBSD default install Apache complained it couldn't set ServerName - which broke subdirectories
    • Everything, technically, is optional. There's no way I've found in BSD to reduce the size of the base install without randomly deleting files.
    • On my server, the BIOS had to be reconfigured so FreeBSD wouldn't have an IRQ conflict with my network card
    And the biggest one is...
    • On both Free and OpenBSD, I've repeatedly recieved bad sector warnings (from the kernel) accompanied by insanely long read times - which often result in core dumps. This has happened most often when starting a program. Linux + ReiserFS *never* does that. In fact, I've never even seen a core dump on Linux. I'll admit that the HD in the server is old and starting to develop a couple bad sectors, but if an OS/filesystem combo can transparently work around them and not complain and core dump, then I'm sure as hell using it. I'm also not in a situation where I can just go out and buy a better HD, so any OS that can work with it is a huge plus.
  • Well, I'll describe what happened when I tried SME Server on a Virtual PC machine.

First, the install seemed to be going OK, but right at the end it "terminated abnormally", so I had to reset the PC. Then when booting, the whole system crashed. I think for now I might stick with NT4, it works fine, does everything I want it to, and it's a hell of a lot easier to administer with VNC. Also, I always leave a Firefox window open thats connected to surfjunky.com :D The servers the only PC I leave on.
  • Zenithus wrote:
    Well, I'll describe what happened when I tried SME Server on a Virtual PC machine.

First, the install seemed to be going OK, but right at the end it "terminated abnormally", so I had to reset the PC. Then when booting, the whole system crashed. I think for now I might stick with NT4, it works fine, does everything I want it to, and it's a hell of a lot easier to administer with VNC. Also, I always leave a Firefox window open thats connected to surfjunky.com :D The servers the only PC I leave on.

Just a question did you use a beta release?

That might be the problem if you did... :roll:

And could we jus stop this Linux/BSD debate (it is like the Fight against terrorism, never stops)
  • I used version 6.0, not a BETA.

And I too am sick of this debate, for once can't we all just respect each others opinions?
  • Zenithus wrote:
    And I too am sick of this debate, for once can't we all just respect each others opinions?

Tom seems to have trouble with that.
  • Also:
    Tomchu wrote:
    The point here is that you shouldn't be using a failing drive with *any* OS.
    nightice wrote:
    I'm also not in a situation where I can just go out and buy a better HD, so any OS that can work with it is a huge plus.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    You were just talking about how you shouldn't have to use a GUI past initial server setup, and now you complain that you can't use your mouse in programs? Either stick with the command line or don't.
    niteice wrote:
    And anyway, why I prefer Linux (especially Slackware) to FreeBSD (not just for servers):
  • Good question :? .
  • If you mean X11, I stay far away from that on a machine where speed and available space are what's needed.
  • Then what GUI do you use?
  • I edit files manually. vi rocks.

OTOH, the GUI in Server 2003 or whatever is useless because it should be touched as little as possible.