Server shutdown - hurstunlimited.com

2»

Comments

• nightice wrote:
    I edit files manually. vi rocks.

OTOH, the GUI in Server 2003 or whatever is useless because it should be touched as little as possible.
    You keep..... ARGH!!!

Am I like this people???

Why in your RIGHT MIND WOULDN'T you use the GUI in Windows???!?!?
  • I would use the GUI to configure the damn system after a fresh install. After that, the server should be able to run with no or very little user intervention, making the GUI worthless after that initial setup.

I really can't make it any plainer.
  • nightice wrote:
    I would use the GUI to configure the damn system after a fresh install. After that, the server should be able to run with no or very little user intervention, making the GUI worthless after that initial setup.

I really can't make it any plainer.
    CAN YOU TELL ME HOW YOU WOULD ADMIN THE SERVER IN WINDOWS WITHOUT USING THE GUI?!!?!?!
  • mmc, Action > Connect to another computer... . Another Computer, OK.

@least that's what comes to mind when you say "Admin" and Windows.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    mmc, Action > Connect to another computer... . Another Computer, OK.

@least that's what comes to mind when you say "Admin" and Windows.

-Q
    MMC?
  • I'm gonna leave this for someone else...

-Q
  • Are you talking about Microsoft Management Console?
    If so, wouldn't it be a whole heck of a lot easier to just use te GUI? Or even RDC?
  • *Whew*

Yes, and most of it's attendant snap-ins can be used against a computer over the network (I hope).

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • True, I'd forgotten that. I was mostly thinking of drivers, users, services and other stuff like that.

-Q
  • Often enough, once you've shared out your drives and installed Apache, you'll never really have to VNC over, other than in an emergency.
  • OMG you really need to use CentOS .. 3.4 is out in server iso .. but 4.0 is out in workstation a minimal install of 4.0 is simular to 3.4 server distro its about 550mb installed minimal and runs perfectly on my pentium 1@233mhz computer 64mb ram.. its based on redhat so RPM's are avaialble also includes YUM package manager for easy installation of apache,php and any other server daemons.

also slackware 10.1 is good.. but CentOS is far more stable and reliable

www.centos.org
  • CentOS (Red Hat) minimal - 550MB
    Slackware (real distro) with custom A and N sets - ~150MB
  • Redhat? Reliable? LOL
  • Guys, if you're bored, a very early version of the new website is up:

http://test.hurstunlimited.com

Feedback welcome.
  • you got google adz, but other wise the site is lol crazy, it looks pretty, but a bit windowz 98, but it doesnt look bad
  • "Copyright & Law" ?

-Q
  • That bits just gonna have some copyright notices to scare copiers away, last time I had about 5 different people copying the layout and content on my website.
  • You mean like Ryan?
  • Oh don't we just LOVE to GIVE out all the things we spent days upon weeks upon months working on?
  • I hate it when people steal my work. Everything I do on my website etc is my own work, and I don't steal it off anybody, so why should they steal it off me? Thats my philosophy.
  • Well, everything on JuleOS.co.uk AND JuleOS.com is all my work, the forum, the *naf* games, the messenger, the ex-webhosting, the ex-picture maker, etc.