What IS the best NT?

Comments

• OK, I'm gonna have a go at this:

1) Integration with Windows user accounts for simple FTP/HTTP restriction

2) Runs seamlessly with Windows networking services

I'll let you guys do the rest...
  • Oh yeah, thanks BOD.

3) Excellent MS support
  • Oh my, I've just realised, I think it may be me, I'm not gettin notified on anything!

One minute I'll check.
  • It's not me.
  • I think the MAIL errors are being cuased by the phpBB settings, that seems to be what it says

Bad username/password would usually indicate this.
  • One question- why would I want windows network services interfering with my site??

And ZENITHUS! WHOS SIDE YOU ON???
  • I'm just providing my insight. I use IIS (as embarassing as this may be) as an intranet server for my family so my Dad has links to his favourite websites (he's not computer-literate btw).
  • I USED to use IIS, prior to me finding out that Apache was actually located at www.apache.org and not .com!

Stupid internet!!

I used to be amazed by such a web server. Then I got into year 10.
  • I basically like Apache for it's configuration, and VirtualHost settings. It's also very secure and manageable, and FFX compatible (IIS likes IE6 better).
  • Yeh! After you forcing me to switch to FFX and shoving IE6 down the poopie-hole (aka toilet/drain). IIS seems to think that every user has to use IE6, therefore it'll shove in a few extra features that only IE6 understands.
  • Hey, there's no question about it, FFX kicks IE6 right up the arse!!
  • JuleOS wrote:
    So, my opinion is kind of biased in the fact that I only met Linux a few months ago!
    BOD wrote:
    I said FreeBSD. not linux, they're different. just ask tom he'll tel you his opinions LOL

don't ask tom's opinion, it's bound to give a very bad (extremely biased) impression, the only thing to do really is try it for yourself.
  • Who is this 'Tom'?
  • Tomchu: www.tomchu.com

You'll meet him later, when he comes on.
  • I have a further question, which Zenithus knows about.

I made a server called EM Messenger, it's a private IM messaging system, blah blah blah. It's made in VB6 and I was wondering- what's the best NT to host something like this?
  • Basically, the question is, can it be hosted on my NT4 Server?
  • Bascially, you know the answer as it was used on your server for a few days while it was still in development- even though it still IS in development.

I'm thinking about starting again with it.
  • hey hey hey the bit about Tom was a joke, i did use linux for my server, until i could be bothered to go FreeBSD.
  • easily amused........:P
  • I used Linux for my server, tried FreeBSD, found it sucked, went back to Linux. Currently on Debian Sarge, but it seems a bit bloated even as Debian-on-a-server goes.
  • I didnt like the way SME did everything for me, I like to be able to control things
  • I've never used SME server, but i want to take a look
  • It's some Linux server that's designed for noobs who want to run Linux servers.
  • So I shud choose it :P
  • edited March 2005
    Don't bother trying SME Server, I've tried it, and it's not all its cracked up to be. Like BOD says, unless you log in as Root, it likes to do everything for you, and even creates its own runlevel, and integrates itself into Apache.

Hence I prefer Windows NT4.
  • Linux = garbage

Just use BSD, it's really not that hard.
  • BOD wrote:
    I didnt like the way SME did everything for me, I like to be able to control things

then get slackware. the only slack-specific tools are for adding or removing packages. everything else is done through our best friend vi.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I ain't dumb, you're the dumb one for choosing a CPU clogging GUI as a choice of server.

You don't see many people hosting with IIS.

Remember that NetCraft survey....Apache ruled the web by more than 50%! So with all those extra servers put together, Apache could STILL thrash them.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    I used Linux for my server, tried FreeBSD, found it sucked, went back to Linux. Currently on Debian Sarge, but it seems a bit bloated even as Debian-on-a-server goes.

Correction: You tried FreeBSD, and it gave you a slap in the face because you realized how incompetent you truly are. :)

So? *You* could be considered incompetent, since you use Linux for about 30 seconds and declare it's shit. You refuse to even *try* a proper distro like Slackware or Debian.