Refresh rates...

edited March 2005 in Hardware
OK this may seem like a n00b type question, but i had never really given any thought about refresh rates..... its always been 60hz.....

so whats really the difference between 60hz and say 85hz?

some site i read a minute ago says higher refresh rates = less eye strain.... that true?

just clarify for me what exactly refresh rates are and is higher better or lower better?

Comments

• How many times per second the screen updates. Higher is better. I'm not certain how they tie into eye strain, though.
  • Go to at least 70Hz for a week, then going back to 60Hz is like looking into a strobe light.
  • thats what i've read....

so i should go for higher refresh rate then?
  • unless your monitor happens to be crappy and only do 60Hz (fail)
  • i think this monitor can do 85hz....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sometimes my eyes are tired.. but not that offten..... they seemed to get more tired with 85hz then with 60.....

i'll maybe try somthing higher for a while.....
  • If I go down from 75 (my usual) to 60, I can very, VERY easily see the flickering while looking directly at it.
  • I could see flickering on 70hz. :|
  • My monitor does 100 hertz at 1024 x 768, but down to 65 hz at 1600 x 1200. Right now I'm 75h at 1344 x 1008.
  • I can't tell the difference between 60Hz anf 70Hz, my monitor can only do 60Hz though
  • That's becuase you're used to it.
  • Same here, my crappy monitor can only do 60Hz at 1280x1024, so I stick to that. My eyes are used to it.
  • trying 75hz right now... seems ok....

tried it on the server and everything seemed brighter,
  • I tried it on this monitor, and got a nice hissing sound accompanied with a nice smell of burning plastic.

(ahem) I don't think I'll try that again (cough).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LOL You should try the checkbock that says "hide modes not supported"
  • Or maybe just leave it how it is?
  • I mean check it, so he doesn't have the noise and the smell of burning plastic.
  • when i uncheck that on the p4 i see rates like 100hz so i know the p4's monitor can't do higher then 85hz

when i unchecked that box on the server it made no defference..... thats cause its a crappy video card....

i wonder if the server's monitor can do more then the p4's..... doubtful
  • Mine said like 150Hz when i unchecked the box
  • Of course, once you uncheck it, you can go as high as (I think) your video card will support.
  • yeah, thats what it is
  • I'm on my Mac right now, at 800x600 @ 100hz, but I really can't tell the difference between it and 1280x1024 @ 60hz on my main PC's monitor. I dunno whether the EXTREMELY poor state of my eyes has anything to do with this, or I just don't notice.

~Duff
  • Well, my eyes suck, so I can adjust to 60Hz easily.

But I find something higher than 72Hz to be easier to read. Mostly on white or bright colors which flicker when in lower rates.
  • Text is thinner on 60hz. :|
  • well i had been useing 75hz on the p4, dont' noticed a difference really... but its good... anyways now the p4's hdd is shot so i'm on the server now... i might switch it to 75hz......
  • ok on 75hz on the server now... its good... much easier on the eyes.....
  • My mini and my dual both have 75 Hz (as they KVM the same monitor). I don't know what my dell uses... but it's probably 75 also.