68k powered webserver

edited April 2005 in Software
Here is my 68k powered webserver...

http://68.103.176.44:89/

check it out! :cool:

Comments

• Thats really cool, how does the website load so fast?
  • Speed of machine has nothing to do with the speed that the site loads, thast the connection speed....
  • If he was using PHP, on the other hand....
  • I've noticed a lot of people lately (including myself) running relaible, dynamic and fast web servers off old machines. It seems like a good diea, an old PC you never use, turn it into a nice little server.
  • People seem astonished when I tell them that my server is a P1 with 64MB of RAM.
  • My server isnt that slow, It seems faster than my brothers machine
  • I'm amazed my server can saty online for as long as it does. I guess older hardware was built to last.
  • damn straight!

mayeb i'll turn a 486 into a little webserver...... nah i'd use the server for that... i need DSL first though
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lmao... Its really on what "kind" of hardware you're getting.
  • Mr.Mac is back... Anyway. I run my 486 as a testserver (used in The 386 Challenge). Using WIRCSRV for IRC, WinHTTPD for webserving and CuteFTP for FTP. Everything runs on a 486 DX2 66mhz with 8mb RAM in Windows 3.11!

IRC Network: knezzen.bounceme.net (in IRC client)

//Mr.Mac
  • Well, I had my PII Server up for 84 days... Then I had to shut it off yesterday cause my site moved to a different one.
  • so what exactly is the 386 challenge? Any links to it?
  • yur servers down
  • The 386 challenge was a "compettion" to see who could get their old PC on the net frist using windows 3.1, I don't know whether it ever materialised...
  • http://68.103.176.93:89/

the server is at a new address now
  • not a fan of teh mac, but w/e
  • Awesome. Nice job!
  • Then again, its just html....
  • I've had no luck checking out the mac site....can't seem to find it when I click the link...
  • His IP must have changed again.
  • What a reliable server.
  • Huh? Since when was the IP address anything to do with the reliability of the server?
  • yeah...... but i think roger ment that it wasn't reliable because his IP was changing so you couldn't depend on it.....

not the server itself... errrr i think just my interpretation of what roger wrote... i'm sure he'll make an edit ^_^
  • Gotta love dynamic DNS
  • yeah....

somthing i might consider though, once we have some financial security and I might get job this summer, is getting DSL from Bell South, you can pay to get a static IP address....

i'm not sure though i think they have a lot of hidden costs and such so i'm not sure if its worth it