Athlon 64 System...

BODBOD
edited April 2005 in Hardware
It's payday friday and I've decided to go Athlon 64, Should the stuff on the list below be addequate?

md.JPG

Since I'm too lazy to type it out..

Comments

• RNRN
    edited April 2005
    Yes! Socket 939!! Is that the Winchester core? Winchester gives out greeat OCs.

EDIT: Nvm I see Winchester.
  • Excellent, 939. It says Winchester. I should get me one of these some day...
  • Haha I was blind. Or maybe overly excited. :|
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i say wait until they can harvest the power of the human brain and grow human brains to use as computers
  • Tomchu wrote:
    No. :P

1. I would wait for Venice. Same ratings, same speeds, same price -- better core (SSE3, better memory controller, lower voltages, higher overclocks).

2. You might want to get a PCI Express motherboard instead, as AGP will more or less be out by the end of 2005.

3. Get two identical sticks of RAM. If you're going to be running one stick, there's no point in even buying a Socket 939 system right now. Two sticks == dual channel. And yes, it makes a huge different on the K8 platform (2x the memory bandwidth, vs. like 10% on Athlon XPs).

I dunno, it took ISA a LONG time to die... I have a board from like 2001 that still has ISA.
  • Same here, my P3 board had 2 ISA slots.
  • I would buy a Venice core but the CPU alone is the same price as the list i posted earlier, I just don't have that kind of money, same with the Motherboard, PCI Express means new graphics card which I just can't afford. Depending on how much I get paid this month I may add a second stick of RAM.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Depends, I might not even get enough for all this LOL, but if I do, I will get the second stick.
  • Yeh, waaay too much...

64.PNG