Do you use Linux? If so, which Distro?

2»

Comments

• Im using linux kubuntu 11.04 in a virtualmachine my host os is win 7
  • I Love ubuntu I am currently running 12 on my thinkpad T60 as well as Winodws XP
  • svrex wrote:
    I like linux to a point. I wish it would run windows game like world of warcraft and other ones. My first time using linux was suse 8 and then went to ubuntu i like it then i went to kubuntu and been with that one for a while now. I use to get the free cd of kubuntu in the mail. But i haven't use linux in a year now. I did try to duel boot linux and win 7 with no luck.

Maybe you just need to know what W. I. N. E. is.

But WINE sucks. :(

Unless you use Playonlinux to manage it, which makes it pretty usable and simple.
  • In these days of cheap multicore CPUs and Vmware etc, wine is pointless.
  • BOD wrote:
    In these days of cheap multicore CPUs and Vmware etc, wine is pointless.

Unless you're an open source hippie that doesn't like to use proprietary software.
  • Or want to play games. Last I checked, VMware Workstation doesn't do their graphical translation/passthrough of any kind on Linux hosts, but that was a while ago.

What I would really want to do for virtualization is run Xen or something with physical device passthrough to give real hardware (for games) to the guest, but I can't share resources that I also need to use on my host.
  • Most games run pretty well under playonlinux and wine if you know what you're doing, too. Obviously WoW runs, but the Elder Scrolls series runs under it too, as do most of the Steam games.. I wonder if steam for linux will support Wine bottling. :O
  • in a pretty pathetic way, I now only use Windows for iTunes 10 (for jailbreaking/restoring iOS devices), Finale PrintMusic, and Need For Speed: High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed (albeit rarely)