PDFs

QQ
edited March 2007 in Software
Does anyone know of a PDF reader other then crackrobat for Windows? I just realized I need it, but it always seemed SO bloated and slow.

-Q

Comments

• Just download Acrobat 5.0? I use it on the laptop. Way faster than 8!
  • Cool! So far that one seems to be great! You can ditch that stupid Crackrobat ad in the upper right corner!

-Q
  • I don't see an Ad in teh corner of my window :|
  • Foxit is what I use to, I can't stand all that racket ABAT makes
    just starting up. I've been using it for a few months and put it on
    the machine I sent to my Mom.

Thump
  • http://schmidt.devlib.org/java/libraries-pdf.html
    Here's a whole list. Try this for previous adobe versions:
    http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

I hope this helps

alexzarach
  • I think reading a PDF under Java would be nearly as bad as reading it with Acrobat!

-Q
  • Use acrobat reader 2 from the second link, or any other old version on that page. It may be quicker-I haven't tried any before acrobat reader 3.
  • Yeah but alot of PDFs use formatting codes that aren't supported by old versions of Acrobat. I've never had problems with FoxIt.

• adobe acrobat 7.0 ;)
  • anantha92 wrote:
    adobe acrobat 7.0 ;)
    Adobe acrobat 7.0 IS SLOW!
  • I think I'm running 8. Whatever the newest is.
  • I use Acrobat Reader 5 on all my slower PCs and 7 on my Athlon64.

I find Version 5 to be the best for slower PCs or for fast performance on faster PCs.
    Nick
  • Adobe acrobat 8 in my AthlonXP 2000+, but for older you might try Adobe Acrobat 3 or 4... :)
  • The annoying ones encrypt the PDFs so you can only open them in 6 and up!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    The annoying ones encrypt the PDFs so you can only open them in 6 and up!

-Q
    other thing.... oohh holy shitty soft and hard limitations :) (it remembers my obsolete 3 year machine :cry: )
  • 8 isn't slow by any means. And has the least retarded gui of them all :|.
  • Only thing that annoys me is that updater UI that pops up when you only want to read a PDF.
  • A loading time which is proportional to the version number is slow in my book!

-Q
  • i`ve found rhis interesting PDF reader, one for it`s features are "small and free"

From Foxit Software:
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

features by foxit:

Foxit Reader 2.0 for Windows

An exclusive small and fast PDF Reader of the same!

What's New
    Foxit Reader 2.0 is just released. This new version introduces many exciting features, including multi-language UI, dynamic downloading of add-ons, form filler, better look and feel and much more.

Foxit Reader 2.0 is a free PDF document viewer and printer, with incredible small size (only 1.5 M download size), breezing-fast launch speed and amazingly rich feature set. Foxit Reader 2.0 supports Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.6.

Version 2.0 introduces many exciting new features, including interactive form filler, multi-language UI support, on-demand download of add-on, self upgrade, Javascript support, improved printing speed, streamlined UI and much more.

In the past, you have to download a huge PDF Reader from other software company, go through a lengthy installation process and wait for an annoying splash window to disappear just to open a PDF document. Moreover, if you want to annotate a PDF document, you have to pay US$299 to buy certain PDF software.

Now with Foxit Reader 2.0, you don't have to endure such pain any more. The following is a list of compelling advantages of Foxit Reader 2.0:

Incredibly small: The download size of Foxit Reader is only 1.5 M which is a fraction of Acrobat Reader 20 M size

Breezing-fast: When you run Foxit Reader, it launches instantly without any delay. You are not forced to view an annoying splash window displaying company logo, author names, etc.
    Annotation tool: Have you ever wished to annotate (or comment on) a PDF document when you are reading it? Foxit Reader 2.0 allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document.

Text converter: You may convert the whole PDF document into a simple text file.
    High security and privacy: Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to Internet without users' permission. While other PDF Reader often silently connects to the Internet in the background. Foxit PDF Reader does not contain any spyware or adware.

New Features
    Foxit Reader 2.0 introduces many exciting new features listed below:

Interactive form filler: Now you don't have to print out PDF forms first and then manually fill out paper forms. Instead, you can use PC to fill out interactive forms directly, and then print them out, save them, email them or export the form data into FDF file for further processing.
    Multi-language UI that can be dynamically switched: The user interface of Foxit Reader now can be switched to different languages dynamically, thanks to the generous help from our user community.

On-demand download of add-on: With add-ons, the function of Foxit Reader can be extended unlimitedly. Advanced feature modules and seldom-used modules are packed as add-on to be downloaded when needed.

Self-upgrade: In the past, when you want to upgrade Foxit Reader, you have to frequently visit Foxit website, check for new release, and then manually download the new version, uninstall the old version and re-install the new version. Now this whole process is simplified and you only need to click on the menu item "Check for update now".
    Javascript support: Advanced users are able to use Javascript to create complex logic for PDF forms, to validate user input and process data.

Improved printing speed: Printing a PDF file with many images on it to a PostScript printer used to be slow. Version 2.0 has been optimized for such printing.

Streamlined UI: Version 2.0 comes with a neat UI. Annotation tool buttons are grouped together and no longer being showed on several toolbars.

Free Reader: <<<<Freeware (recommended 4-you :) ), the equivalent to Adobe Reader, but more convenient fot older machines... :)

Foxit Reader 2.0 itself is free. As to add-ons, the
    critical add-ons are free while advanced add-ons are non-free. For example, you can use the following functions for free:

View or print PDF document
    Fill out PDF forms and save them
    View PDF as text
    Critical add-ons, such as UI language package, JPEG2000/JBIG decoder, CJK package, GDI+ for early Windows version, etc
    The followings are several examples of non-free, advanced add-ons:

Foxit Reader Pro Pack is not free. It unlocks functions to save annotation, save a PDF document as a text file, copy text from text viewer. Actually without Pro Pack, you are still able to annotate a PDF document and print it out. However when you save the annotated document, it will be stamped with an evaluation mark on the top-right corner of the annotated pages. If you purchase a Pro Pack add-on, then there will be no evaluation mark.
    Foxit PDF Creator, which allows you to convert non-PDF file into PDF file, is non-free.
    Foxit PDF Editor, which allows you to modify content of a PDF file, is non-free.

you might try the "free reader" :) Direct to download page for Foxit Reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader ... reader.htm
  • That's what I'm using now. Few minor issues but overall far superior to Acrobat 8 which didn't even install!

-Q
  • I think Acrobat 8 is pretty fast... It's just the err.... different interface...
  • Different and better :P
  • I never look @ the interface, I just load it and find what I need and/or read it. As a result a long loading time, especially with a splashscreen that likes to seize up, gets my attention and annoys me.

-Q
  • Adobe 8 doesn't have a spashscreen.
  • Which I can't tell because it wont install.

-Q
  • Acrobat Reader 8 is fine.... it loads almost instantly on my computer at school (PIII 800mhz, 256 MB of RAM, windows 2000)

I use version 7 on my laptop, again loads almost instantly... pretty much as fast as any other app... laptop specs: PII 300mhz, 192MB of RAM, windows XP pro...

And I use 5 on my desktop... pretty much same performance but you run into problems with some newer PDF files...
  • Just tested my 8. Loads in seconds, no splashscreen, works on Vista Ultimate.
  • No time known, no details known, no working installation.

-Q
  • As I said, I've been using Foxit for months but had to go over to
    the other machine 'cause I couldn't get the online tax forms to
    work with Foxit so needed the Adobe Reader to fill them out.
    I guess Foxit's not for everything.

Thump