Windows Downtime

QQ
edited February 2007 in Software
Just a question for those that have a version of Windows with that noxious "autoupdater": What do you set Windows's update schedule to? Download and install, download, notify, or buzz off?

-Q

Comments

• buzz off.

I do it manually-from update.microsoft.com.
  • I let it download, but ask me when to install.
  • I do the same when I'm bored, but with Windows Update instead of MSU.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    I let it download, but ask me when to install.
  • I let is ask, but NEVER download and install, I have heard way too many horror stories of people that had auto update on and it downloaded the WGA junk and messed up their systems.

I don't want that to happen, totally unnecessary and my legitimate key could be flagged, why take that chance?
  • I was always wary, but after that WGA nonsense I'm giving it no chance, fair or foul.

-Q
  • D-I-S-A-B-L-E.
  • Never let it run at all, don't give a damn about updates they can shove them up their jacksies for all I care.
  • I have WU ask me when it needs to install updates BUT sometimes certain updates are so important they are installed without me knowing about them until I wake up one morning and see thaty green shield in the system tray.
  • Well I don't have "Automatic Updates", but I have Software Update, and I disabled it.
  • horror stories? What like the auto updater jumped out the screen and killed you? :|

All you gotta do is deny it the first time, then it *never* bothers you.
  • Never let it run at all, don't give a damn about updates they can shove them up their jacksies for all I care.

Same, I dont need all their retarded Windows Media Player updates and Outlook Express exploit patches.