(Your) Oldest machine running?

Comments

• noone wrote:
    I use it all the time for electrical schematics for my circuits class. It saves me the time than rather trying to do it in paint, since autocad has templates for electrical drawings already built in.

Yeah, you use it, I was asking Kari over there.
    Swiftoman wrote:
    I draw with a pencil a lot, but I don't ever plan to go pro with it.

Same deal with AutoCAD.

I guess. What do you draw, anyway?
  • BOD wrote:
    Doesn't visio have shit for circuit diagrams?

I think so yes. I've just been using CircuitMaker for years and never quit. You can also run the circuits and put multimeters on different parts of the circuit in CircuitMaker.
  • I was going to mention Visio, it seems to have a fairly extensive library of templates.
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    I guess. What do you draw, anyway?
    On pencil and paper? People.

In AutoCAD? Floor plans, which I import to Rhino 3D, extrude up and make a 3D model of it.

I love doing that. Makes me feel all smart.
  • Oldest box that still gets used occasionally:
    IBM Aptiva (Originally came with W98 (PC circa 2000)):
    AMD K6-2 350 @ 400Mhz
    64MB Ram
    20GB Hdd (3 partitions)
    3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drives + CD Rom Drive
    ATI Mach 64 Graphics (Integrated)
    ESS Solo One Audio (Integrated)
    USB 1.1/2.0 Supported with USB4Dos
    LinkSys NC100V2 10/100 NIC (PCI)
    MS-Dos 7.1 (Chinese Hack)
    Windows for Workgroups 3.11 w/ y2k updates

All hardware supported with native WFW311 drivers.

Software/Games: Too much to list (About 10GB worth of stuff).

My main pc's a Quad Core 3.6 with 4GB Ram, 1.3TB HDD space, SB X-FI and a 9800GT (Spec's shortened to save space).

My how far we've come! =D

--Matt
  • I have some working 486 laptops in the basement, also a working XT with an NEC V20 and recently got an 80186 motherboard I'm putting together a system around. Trying to source an original ATI EGA Wonder if I can. I have one IBM PC (not XT) that I haven't booted in a dogs age. Worked last time I did though, type with cassette drive connector on the back beside the keyboard port. I had an 8 bit card that supported 1.44 floppy for it somewhere (card was made by toshiba in late 80's).
  • What was also cool was they worked in 16 bit ports with no problems, and also had a mouse port built into them.

Yeah not cheap. I might find one, who knows. I used to use mine with an NEC Multisync II XL.

The 80186 board feature two 16 bit slots as well so I may try a VGA Wonder.
  • I had the XT and shit it was primitive. The CGA and floppy controllers were the full size fuckers. It had twin full height 360k drives. One died and I figured out I could stick a 1.44MB drive in there. It was only tricking the computer since it only supported 360k drives. I could format them at 360k, or stick them in another computer and format them as 720k. I don't remember bt I don't think 1.44MB worked.

I actually managed to get an internet connection with it. Apparently the brand new (2005?) NE2000 card I bought also supported 8-bit slots; Which was ironic since most cards in the late 1980s didn't support 8-bit slots. It was too slow to do anything iirc, but I did get a TCP/IP connection.
  • The oldest computer I use on a daily basis is my 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 Dell Dimension 2400 from like 2004... It's still on its original hard drive, power supply, motherboard and everything...which I find pretty impressive considering how I've hammered it over the years with gaming and server duties for awhile.

However, I have an Apple IIe that ran last time I took it out of the box.

Kirk
  • Compaq Presario 433
    2 GB Hard Drive (originally 200mb)
    20mb Ram
    Windows 95B ( :D )
    Intel 486SX 33mhz
    13" CRT 800x600 (Built in)
    Built in Floppy drive
    HP CDWriter Plus 7500e
    HP CDWriter Plus 7200e

This used to belong to my grandfather
  • Reminds me of my old 486...
  • My oldest system is an etower533i but it does not want to boot,
    Then my second oldest systems is a dell demition 700ne or something like that it has no hard drive or disk driver

But my dos system is
    Compaq deskpro en 866 (this is a p3)
    it quad-boots Dos6(win3.11) Win95c Win98se and Winnt wont boot as of yet,
    I forget the specs but its a dam good dos system. I got another one of the systems running 2k and xp
  • Why do you run 2000 and XP? They're so very similar.
  • Xp is more of a mem Hog, and 2000 is more secure. as I see, But my xp tower has a special porgram., that downloads all of my system updates and then I just install them over the network

It's helpfull so i dont waist a crap load of bandwidth

I have a xp tower and it wont run xp, well it will but 128mb of ram is not alot,
  • Honestly, XP does not need that much more memory than 2000. Tweak XP down a bit and you're fine. And how exactly is 2000 more secure than XP?

I don't care if you like 2000 better, it's a fine OS... but have legit reasons.
  • i never got a virus that spamed my system with 2k, Xp I have goten lots of fake anti viruses, but that was when I had avg on my systems
  • I never got a virus when I ran 2000 as my main OS. As far as I know.

I've never had a virus running XP as my main OS. As far as I know.

Repeat that for every operating system I've ever ran on my systems.
  • wow, but one thing is when I ran xp I was still a novice computer user learing how to pirate,
  • Well that was my point, you're blaming the OS for getting viruses when it was really your fault.
  • I've had one virus the entire time I've been using XP, and it was part my fault, part my browser's fault.

I forgot to install adblock and got an antivirus through an ad.
  • As of today, personally, the oldest machine I have running is my Dell Inspiron 531 I got about over two years ago now. Apart from my Parents PC which I rarely touch that's my oldest computer! No others!!
  • edited August 2010
    I've recently got a Compaq 5203 as a gift from a friend LOL... It's been very reliable for it's age, Have tried to run ReactOS 0.3.11, but I've got partial results as it was running fine but without drivers (ass ugly VGA VESA video, no LAN, no Sound, NO SHIT..).

So I've put on a lightweight build of Windows 2000 SP4 (Which has been downloaded with difficulties, you can't normally see it around the netz' these days :P)

Enjoy the photos (Sorry for the blurriness, Nokia 6210 Navigator's 3.2Mpx camera is not as good as it was supposed to be, neither with or without flash :S)

http://www.imghost.oabw.net/img02/1283248800.jpg
    http://www.imghost.oabw.net/img02/1283276739.jpg
    http://www.imghost.oabw.net/img02/1283257630.jpg

Basic Specs:
      AMD K6-II @ 333Mhz 128Mb RAM 20GB IDE Maxtor HD Everything integrated: Sound: ESS' bullcrap (Dunno the name) LAN 10/100 Video ATi Rage 3D (Which rocks ;) 52x CD-ROM (Dunno WTF happened to the original CD/RW..)

Edit by stitch: These images do not work well on 1024x768, please do not readd the image tags. thanks
  • Dell Dimension C521.
    AMD Altlon 5000+
    ATI Radeon X1450,
    Sound some integrated.
    Mouse Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000.
    Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 1000.

And my only PC.
  • wow, lol thats your only system how fast is the cpu? lol
  • There's nothing wrong with having only one system...

and a quick look on AMD's website says that it's a 2.6 Ghz Dual Core.
  • nice thats not bad, but still not that old of a system, but my newest system is a 2.4gh quad core, and I'm loving it
  • Clock speed doesn't mean as much these days.
  • yea i know,
  • Bigjake52 wrote:
    yea i know,

tyq.jpg
  • Duff wrote:
    Bigjake52 wrote:
    yea i know,

tyq.jpg

Thanks, lol

But I had nothing important to say lol next time i just wont post lol