(Your) Oldest machine running?

Comments

• I had an IBM PCXT 4.77MHz 8088 with 640k and twin 360k drives. I did rig a 720k drive to the 360k controller that worked. Got it using the internet by having it ping but I guess either the floppy seek time or the CPU was too slow to do anything. Funny to see a NIC from 2000 work in an 8-bit slow.

I'm sure noone can top that when it comes to x86 based.

Wow 4MH thats so fast man, jk

But I would like to get my hands on system older then a p2 chip, I got 27 p3 system its nuts,
  • Bigjake52 wrote:
    I had an IBM PCXT 4.77MHz 8088 with 640k and twin 360k drives. I did rig a 720k drive to the 360k controller that worked. Got it using the internet by having it ping but I guess either the floppy seek time or the CPU was too slow to do anything. Funny to see a NIC from 2000 work in an 8-bit slow.

I'm sure noone can top that when it comes to x86 based.

Wow 4MH thats so fast man, jk
    LOL, that's so hilarious! :P

Anyway, I've updated my old sys post with real photos OMG! xD

See them here: http://www.winboards.net/viewtopic.php?p=118875#118875
  • My friend has me beat, IBM 5100 from 1975! He got if from a yard sale for $25. Mine, probably the Tandy 1000 RL or the Bull SX-L laptop.
  • stitch wrote:
    I'm throwing a 500mhz P3 on the curb, want it?

PS: we just threw out 20 400mhz P2's at work about 2 weeks ago.

Dang it, I was like 10 months too late! My PIII has no hard drive :P and no mounting bracket, or screws. And I think the PSU was dead... either way, now I have a 500mhz Pentium III sitting on my desk for decoration :|

Oh right. Oldest computer:

Macintosh Classic
    Mac OS 6
    (40MB hard drive! I could store like 10 songs on there!) <-- I'm not that bad at math. I could really store about 13 songs, but i need some space for OS 6. ;)
  • packhard bell
    32mb ram
    4.00gb hdd
    run win95
    cd-rom drive(it dont read things tho)
    intel pentium with mmx
  • also have a laptop about 20 years old.

tosheba dynabook satalite
    64mb ram
    dead 5.00gb hdd
    unsure of graphics
    has floppy drive and cd-rom
    believe it or not it even has 1 usb port.
    my mate says im lucky to have a usb and even a cd-rom.
    i run ubuntu live cd on it
  • All the PCs in my apartment are all about the same vintage. The oldest is an AMD Sempron 140 with a 785G board which is in use in my HTPC. It's the oldest in terms of the other two having slightly newer chipsets, 790GX and 880G. The oldest machine I have running just for the hell of it is an IBM Thinkpad 385CD
  • I'm counting down the minutes until I can finally click "checkout" and move out of the P4 era...
  • Pentium 4 2.53GHz, 120 GB HDD, 2 GB of RAM, GeForce MX 440, running XP. Bought it in 2003, upgraded it along the way.
  • noble wrote:
    *snip*

That laptop has had too many run ins with a sharpie and tape.
  • Mine is a Dell Dimension with win98, upgraded to winME, upgraded to win2k, upgraded to winXP

Specs

512mb RAM

Intel Pentium III (soon a intel pentium 4)

Motherboard (From Intel, not DELL)

Wireless: Netgear Wireless USB

Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX5500
  • lightsleet wrote:
    Intel Pentium III (soon a intel pentium 4)

nope. best you can do is a socket 370 pentium 3 or celeron at 1.4ghz.

pentium 4 would need a different socket.
  • well, techially my oldest machine running now would be my 13" macbook pro, lol. (unibody 2.4ghz c2d non-thunderbolt for those who are wondering)
  • Toshiba Tecra, like a 730CDT or something - similar to the one pic'd above (with less tape and sharpie)

Two HP Omnibook 800's (the original Netbook)
    166 / 32 or 64m RAM / 1.2 and 2.5g drives
    Still working perfectly, including the external SCSI cd-rom drive, pair of external floppy drives and a port replicator/dock - one has Win95b the other a failed attempt at BeOS.

Also have an IBM MPro as my server. 2x600mhz, 500m RAM, 30g primary plus an addon USB2 with 500g and 1t externals. Runs Server03 great and a VM of NT4TSE with Citrix XP 1. (which is how I found you guys, my TSE cd was hosed)

-J
  • Getting ready to retire my PIII server, so the oldest machine running on my network will be a P4.

Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz Prescott
    2GB DDR2
    80 GB IDE HDD
    ATi 3D Rage II+ PCI
    Asus WL-138G v2
    Intel Pro/100+
    Windows Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise (Would have been 2008, but my key is in limbo. Plus 2003 runs better on that machine anyway.)
  • Commodore 64, Atari ST and Mac SE is my top 3 oldest :p
  • I've got an Amiga 500 complete with a 512KB RAM expander (for a total of a whopping 1 MB), a beautiful Commodore 1080 RGB monitor and an external floppy drive (life is MUCH easier with two disk drives). I also have a 4 MB RAM expander lying around but it's harder to install than the 512 KB board and I don't have any games that need more than 1 MB anyway.
  • not 100% sure it still works but when i put it in the box to move it was... (its been about 20 years).....
    lol ill have to see if it still works.

Z80

27k of ram, with 4 2k EPROM. 1k of video memory.

capture.png

capture.png

I wrote a word processor, an accounting program, some games, assembler, debugger and dissembler. And of course the OS.

Later I bought a Commodore 64. I connect the 2 computer through a parallel port. I wrote a assembler on the z80 for the 64. My 64 debugger was the z80.
  • Well my first "system" still kind of works. Tandy TRS-80 color system with two 5 1/4" drives and cassette tape. CGA/EGA color monitor. Processor is a blistering 1.79 Mhz. One floppy still works but one is dead and cassette works depending on how much I bang on it. Monitor is a little burnt on the edges. I can still play "Wasteland" on it.
  • My oldest desktop is my BBC Micro, my oldest laptop is my mint Toshiba Satellite 110CS, my oldest monitor is the Microvitec CUB used with the micro otherwise it's the 1995 9" monitor I use with my server (colour)
  • Vintage 486 PC

Specs:
    AMD AM486 DX4-S120 120MHz Socket 3 Processor
    24MB SIMM 72-pin memory (max 64MB) - supports the SIMM 30-pin memory, but all four memory modules must have the same memory size, otherwise the computer won't recognize the memory
    WDC WD800JB 80GB Hard Drive
    S3 Trio64 Bahamas 64/Paradise VESA 2MB Video Card: no 3D support :(
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Vibra16x PnP (Sound Blaster 16) sound card
    Lite-On DVD RW LH-18A1P DVD Burner
    Winbond ISA Multifunction card (FDD/Serial/Printer/Joystick/IDE)
    No mouse and no network card*
    Windows 98SE (cannot run Disk Defragment since I don't have enough computer memory)
    Acer AL1917W 19" Widescreen (can only go up to 800x600@True Color (32-bit) since the video card is ancient)
    *planning to buy the mouse (Logitech First Mouse Plus) an ISA network card, and 64MB (2x 32MB) SIMM 72-pin memory off of Amazon.
    I'm also planning to either buy or get for free an ATI Mach64 ISA Video Card with 8MB Video Memory so that I can get the full resolution support, or I can get a CPU ISA Card that has built-in VGA graphics, 256MB Memory, 800MHz processor, mouse/keyboard port, USB support, and 2x ATA/EIDE connections (one for my Hard Drive, and the other for my DVD Burner)

I've had this system for 17+ years and runs great!!! :D
  • I don't know if I ever posted about it here, but I bought an Apple ][GS for $20 last spring. I can post a pic of it sometime, but for now it's just sitting in my Old Mac Museum, complete with my Mac Classic.

It has no hard drive, and I spent far too many hours trying to write the floppy disk images (ProDOS 800K :X) from my Dell using this program to give it its native GS/OS. It's a project for (the perpetual) later.
  • GDEA73 wrote:
    I don't know if I ever posted about it here, but I bought an Apple ][GS for $20 last spring. I can post a pic of it sometime, but for now it's just sitting in my Old Mac Museum, complete with my Mac Classic.

It has no hard drive, and I spent far too many hours trying to write the floppy disk images (ProDOS 800K :X) from my Dell using this program to give it its native GS/OS. It's a project for (the perpetual) later.
    My grandpa had an Apple ][GS as well for a long time and he got rid of it in 2007 since he hardly used it.
    It had a 5.25" Floppy Drive and a 3.5" Floppy Drive.

The oldest computer that is still around is an IBM Aptiva from 1996 at my grandpa's house. It has 16MB RAM (SIMM 30 pin or 72 pin), 2GB IBM Hard Drive, Quad-speed CD-ROM, Intel Penitium 166MHz Processor, Sony Trinitron Multiscan 15f CRT Screen, IBM Keyboard, Windows 95 Upgrade (since Microsoft didn't release Windows 95 for IBM back in 1995), Logitech Scrolling Mouse, Sound Blaster 16 On-board Sound, 28.8K Internal Modem, Trident on-board VGA adapter with 2MB memory. His old IBM is slower than my 486 computer.
  • edited December 2011
    My oldest machine that runs is the IBM Thinkpad 300. It has a 386 (or a 486) with Win 3.1. monochrome display, 280MB HDD, 3.5" 1.44MB FDD, and a mouse. Battery is dead so I have to plug it in.
  • My oldest machine that runs is the IBM Thinkpad 300. It has a 386 (or a 486) with Win 3.1. monochrome display, 28xMB HDD, 3.5" 1.44MB FDD, and a mouse. Battery is dead so I have to plug it in.
    Sweet.
  • My oldest (living) machine is the AMD Sempron I built in 2007, lol
  • Motorola Delta Series 900
    50Mhz RISC(m88k) CPU
    32MB RAM
    2GB HDD
  • my oldest computer is a

ibm value point
    dx2 cpu 66mhz socket 3 it came with a 33mhz cpu
    16mb or ram
    3gb hd it came with a 127mb hd
    s3 864 video card on motherboard
    running windows 95 it came with windows 3.11 for work groups
    sb 16 sound card
  • wow, nice. The oldest computer on my network right now is the SuperGateway (PIII 500). The oldest that I could easily get running? Probably those old Compaq LTE laptops from the early '90s, and a Dell 386 tower... the Apple IIGS is going to need some work :P