Cable modemry

QQ
edited March 2007 in Hardware
OK, for AGES now I've rented a cable modem off Comcast (Three actually) @ 3 USD per billing period (Total payed is probably about 300 USD by now). I've been wondering to myself if I should get a modem myself and forgo that surcharge. Also, if I do, what should I get to replace theirs?

-Q

Comments

• I have a spare cable modem.
  • What's the infos?

-Q
  • Belkin High Speed Cable Modem

Model #F5D5530-W

Ver. 1001

Was in use from 2003-2006
  • OK, so far so good, but I'm still interested in other people's views, EG. SHOULD I go from rent to own?

-Q
  • in the long run it IS going to be cheaper if you just buy your own. Here in thailand ADSL and cable modems are free with subscriptions.
  • Well, Comcast isn't likely to let the BPU pass THAT kind of a ruling, so I have to make such decisions on my own.

-Q
  • At Cox, We got a $10 "Fast Connect" self-install kit that included a Toshiba PCX2600 Cable Modem, 50Ft of Cable Wiring, a cable splitter, and all of the software needed.

The cable modem works fine, and we don't get charged a rental fee.

Nick
  • Verizon gives out their DSL modems and the fiber doesnt use a standalone modem, but they also give out routers for free, I've never understood the thing with cable companies charging a monthly fee for them, if I had to rent one, I'd definitely just buy it. Right now my stupid FiOSTV boxes are all rented, and I've got to find a way to do something about that, its $5 per TV!
  • Q wrote:
    OK, for AGES now I've rented a cable modem off Comcast (Three actually) @ 3 USD per billing period (Total payed is probably about 300 USD by now). I've been wondering to myself if I should get a modem myself and forgo that surcharge. Also, if I do, what should I get to replace theirs?

-Q
    That really surprises me. My Comcast raised the price of their
    service two or three years ago and quit making a seperate
    charge for the modem. It's included in the price whether you get
    your own modem or not.

If it's any help I'll tell you my experience. I've had the modem go
    bad three times and made them come and replace it each time.
    I toyed with the idea of getting my own modem before they
    stopped charging extra for it.

Thump
  • Eastlink gave me a free modem (box, cables, everything), but I'd recommend buying one over continuing renting one.

As for a specific modem, go for the Motorola SB5100 (or the newest in the 5xxx series). Either a new one, or they seem to be pretty cheap on EBay.

http://tinyurl.com/3cpwq6
  • That's the one I have now (From Crapcast).

-Q
  • Well, buy one then, or just keep renting. It's a good modem (I like the 192.168.100.1 feature myself).
  • I can NEVER remember that IP address when I need it.

-Q
  • It's just stuck in my mind.
  • I remember the "192.168" part, and that there's a "100" in it, but other then that I keep having to try all permutations before I can get it to work.

-Q
  • Duff wrote:
    Eastlink gave me a free modem (box, cables, everything), but I'd recommend buying one over continuing renting one.

As for a specific modem, go for the Motorola SB5100 (or the newest in the 5xxx series). Either a new one, or they seem to be pretty cheap on EBay.

http://tinyurl.com/3cpwq6
    yes, I have the Motorola SB5120 and it runs very well, this model hast Phone in/out ports, so you can use the connection to make IP calls via an regular phone :) (the modem is form Telecentro, my ISP) :)