Make Windows 98 act (and look if possible) like Windows 2000

13»

Comments

• It didn't work for me after I installed it
  • I think theres about 40 to 60% chance that stuff won't work, as I say I never tried any progrmas myself.
  • OK I've tried running the setup in Windows NT and it didn't even run the setup! It said that "C:\WINNT\System32\user.exe" is not a valid Windows NT image and to check it against my installation diskette.
  • Does that file exist as it is now? If not, try installing the NT 4 or 2000 user.exe there.

-Q
  • I checked in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ and found user.exe. Also I found user32.dll with it. The same file ObjectDock was complaining about on Windows 98.
  • I tried the setup a few times and guess what? It finally ran the setup. The setup took about 14 minutes on an x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3. That's good news but here's bad news, it didn't work after the setup. In fact it told me the exact same notice that Windows 98 had without the driver mix up. It complained about user32.dll again. Speaking of Windows 2000, will Windows 2000 be on the servers as soon as Windows 2000's support ends or a year after?
  • edited March 2007
    To be honest your attempting a futile effort if all tried things haven't worked. Simply get a copy from a torrent.
  • edited March 2007
    Maybe I should try eBay or torrent. Or wait 3 or 4 years...
  • Just a warning-winrar recognised the windows 2000 rar file as corrupt and couldn't extract or open it.
  • For years, I had my Windows 98 SE system using a Windows 2000 theme along with the Windows 2000/Me icons...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/ ... 040801.gif

I had fooled quite a number of people into thinking it was Windows 2000.
  • I went ahead and downloaded Windows 2000 from torrent. I will install it soon and try ObjectDock on it.
  • beanboy89 wrote:
    For years, I had my Windows 98 SE system using a Windows 2000 theme along with the Windows 2000/Me icons...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/ ... 040801.gif

I had fooled quite a number of people into thinking it was Windows 2000.

The new windows logo on the desktop gives it away that you're using some sort of theme, though.
  • Actually, 2 things I see right off the bat give it away:

Network Neighborhood should be renamed to My Network Places as per the change in 2000/ME

The icon set, I dunno if it's just something about it being gif, but the icons for my computer, recycle bin, and particularly My Network Places are destorted.

Apart from that, its a very good job mimicking 2000

Oh and the task scheduler icon in the system tray, in 2000 when you use task scheduler, it doesn't put that icon in the tray
  • The Quick Launch chevron also makes me suspicious, but the task scheduler thing (That was one of the things that I got rid of fast on a new install).

I kind of missed the old "Network Neighborhood" name...

-Q
  • If you're feeling nostalgic Q, you could always just rename it :P
  • Since it's not on my desktop I can't.

-Q
  • BlueSun wrote:
    If you're feeling nostalgic Q, you could always just rename it :P
    It was my screenshot, and it is from more than two years (August 1, 2004, to be exact), and on top of that, that machine and Windows 98 SE installation died more than a year ago.