What can I do with a HD that won't boot?

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Here are the HD details, if they help:

Fujitsu (Thailand) Hard Drive
Model: MHH2032AT
Part No.:CA05311-B020
Serial No.:01048735
Date: 1999-11

If I boot with the HD, I get an error:
Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

This is the same error I had some time ago, except the method used last time won't work this time.

If I boot without the HD, I get an error:
Operating System not found

I am out of ideas now.

Comments

• What OS is on the disk? and does it show up in the bios during boot?
  • The disk HAD windows 98SE on it, may have started off with NT4.0. It does show up in bios.
  • Right what seems to have happend is that your boot sector has gone screwy. Simply get a 98Se boot disk, load it up (cd or floppy disk) and type SYS C:, restart take disk out and that should work. If not post back.
  • It won't boot to any disk apart from the 'sdisk' or 'super fdisk' floppy disk, which can do 'sdisk' but doesn't have any cd support. I have no floppy drives apart from my deceased laptop's one, and nobody I know has one.
  • So your saying the system won't boot from a Win98SE cdrom and?. What you could do then is download a floppy image of 98SE, burn this image as the boot sector to a cd (Nero can do this, it's oin the make a bootable cd option somewhere). Then boot up using that and then try using SYS C:. Post back if still no help. If not ask me and I can make you an image of a 98SE boot floppy on cd and email it to you.
  • try doing a "clear 7-pass wrting 0 to the disks" way. I know the OSX86 discs have that option and i ahve heard of thigns such as kill disk. Try to write 0s tot he disk format it and install 98 or wtv on it. It should work i have fixed many hds like that.
  • He wants to be able to boot to it without doing any of that though anantha92, hence why I suggest trying to sys the partiton first. Any news alexzarach?
  • ive had the exact same problem on my older hds i ahd a while ago. Well alexzarach if no results show up try my way its bound to work, if not i guess you'll just have to use it for storage.
  • It refuses to boot from any cd, the hd or all floppies except the 'super f-disk' floppy which has no cd support. My HD is still sold online for
  • Well does the system boot to a cd or anything without said drive in?
  • What the hell People.

What are you intedning to do with the drive exactly? Storage? booting?
  • BOD wrote:
    What the hell People.

The guy who has the problem wants to boot, yet Anantha wants to wipe it clean :shock:

I'm lost.
  • wipe it clean and re-install windows.... Or if it ahs info on it then im sorry.
  • It has no OS on it, I can not boot from most floppies or any cds. I can use an fdisk floppy, as mentioned earlier, which has no cd support so I can't install 98SE (it won't take anything higher than ME). I used the fdisk program (freedos program, not the fdisk command) to clear the HD twice, and erased and created the c: and a partition. No luck.
  • Bash wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    What the hell People.

The guy who has the problem wants to boot, yet Anantha wants to wipe it clean :shock:

I'm lost.

I want to get 98SE on it and boot to it.
  • Go to fuhitsus site and download whatever hard drive software they have, that'll check the drive for errors, as well as low level format it.
  • How? It won't boot from anything, and it currently has no OS. I can't get an OS on it if it won't boot from the setup cd, or the 98se boot disk.
  • Here's the basic problem: He has no floppy drive, so he can't make a boot disk, and the system doesn't support booting from a CD straight up.

-Q
  • Also, it refuses to boot from any boot disks I made on it when it was still alive.

Here's the prpblem:

Quote:

Here are the HD details, if they help:

Fujitsu (Thailand) Hard Drive
    Model: MHH2032AT
    Part No.:CA05311-B020
    Serial No.:01048735
    Date: 1999-11

If I boot with the HD, I get an error:

Quote:
    Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, and then press any key

This is the same error I had some time ago, except the method used last time won't work this time.

If I boot without the HD, I get an error:

Quote:
    Operating System not found

I am out of ideas now.
  • CAn't you just stick it in another system?
  • A laptop HD? I don't want to have to waste money on a new xp/vista laptop that can't run all my dos apps-they don't even rfun in dosbox or any other dos emulators.
  • I have a questionable Toshiba HD...

-Q
  • If I have to replace it, I'll get the same hdd to be on the safe side:

http://www.ultratec.co.uk/stocklists/Se ... =MHH2032AT

EDIT:But I really don't want to...
  • You could buy one of those cheap caddies. Theyre about
  • I have the HDD caddy, I just need to clear the HDD in it, somehow. I think something wants a boot disk to boot on it, which refuses to be deleted. I need to delete it, somehow. My HD is now gathering dust on top of my laptop.
  • BOD wrote:
    You could buy one of those cheap caddies. Theyre about
  • No I meant buy one to put the thing in, connect it to a computer that can boot and fix it from there :|.
  • I currently have a cd drive in my pc's slot which is ver by stiff and takes a lot of strength to remove (really), but for
  • So you can't boot from floppy? Cause if you can get a bootdisk image from bootdisk.com and write it. It's the same as the Windows 98SE EBD.
  • Wipeout wrote:
    So you can't boot from floppy? Cause if you can get a bootdisk image from bootdisk.com and write it.

That's the problem, he has only one floppy drive: The one in the defective machine (laptop), which can't be added to another one for the purposes of writing the disk.

-Q