Obtaining Elevated Privileges in Vista

edited April 2007 in Software
How do I go about doing this? I am set as a system administrator, but sometimes Vista doesn't let me do the most basic tasks... For example, I want to flush my DNS resolver cache (which I tend to do regularly in Windows XP just as a standard practice), and it's not letting me. squiggly.gif

If you don't know what I mean, check out the screenshot below. I know some of you use Vista, so I'm hoping you can help me with this.

vistawtfuy5.png

-Kirk

Comments

• When you did Start > Run did it say "This task will be created with administrative privileges"? If not, UAC is running that DOS box as a nonadminstrative user.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    When you did Start > Run did it say "This task will be created with administrative privileges"? If not, UAC is running that DOS box as a nonadminstrative user.

-Q
    Uhm... could you clarify that? tongue.gif Just tell me what I need to do...

-Kirk
  • So your running on "New Start Menu" ? There's "run" in there somewhere. Secondly that's a DOS box for all intents and purposes.

Anyway, the answer is in Windows help.

-Q
  • Ahh, I found it. You have to right click the Command Prompt on the Start Menu, and select "Run as administrator" and then it works out fine. smile.gif
    Solution wrote:
    adminright1rn6.png

adminright2al6.png

Posting the solution in case anyone else has this problem.

-Kirk
  • I really hate that, I tried to create a ghost image of a Vista machine, and it wouldn't access the drives cause it wasn't running as administrator, I had to do the right click > run as administrator thing to get it to work
  • Why did you have to flush the DNS? Were you doing something dirdy >:)
  • [...] (which I tend to do regularly in Windows XP just as a standard practice)

Also, you may want to compact your signature a little.

-Q
  • Why do it as standard practice? It'd get flushed on every reboot anywya.
  • I don't know, it may be one of those OCD things, like I used to compulsively check WU.

-Q
  • Superpie wrote:
    Why did you have to flush the DNS? Were you doing something dirdy >:)
    Umm... what's that got to do with anything? The DNS cache wouldn't even be readable to the average person. Actually, I had changed nameservers on the Halo clan domain, and wanted the new server IP address to take effect quicker. I don't know, BOD, the reboot never seems to fix my DNS cache like flushing it manually.

-Kirk
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I really hate that, I tried to create a ghost image of a Vista machine, and it wouldn't access the drives cause it wasn't running as administrator, I had to do the right click > run as administrator thing to get it to work

Yeah, its a pisser. They stole that right out of Linux, and man is that ever annoying...
  • They stole that right out of Linux, and man is that ever annoying...
    wow.

just.

wow.

ignorance ftl.
  • And that post wasn't much better.

-Q
  • True, but it was hard to phrase. I intended to say something like:

It's not "stolen straight out of Linux". It's one of the better ideas in computer security that's only been used for the past 30 years or so - don't run everything as the user with the highest permissions! If you're restricted in your actions there's far less damage you can accidentally do.
  • nightice wrote:
    They stole that right out of Linux, and man is that ever annoying...
    wow.

just.

wow.

ignorance ftl.

Somehow, I don't think you know what I'm talking about.
  • I'm not even sure you do
  • You mean "sudo" etc? That has been around for ages. I seem to recall 2000 had a "Secondary Logon" svc.

-Q
  • Maybe I don't, but I think most people can get what I'm referring to.
  • NT had the ablility to run stuff as a different user I think.
  • I understand the concept of requesting to run with higher priveleges but saying it's "straight out of linux" is just plain ignorance.
  • What then? The "You're an administrator but not THE administrator so it doesn't count" thing?

-Q
  • How is it ignorance? Don't you mean arrogance?
    Yeah, I'm sorry for that, but it is annoying you gotta admit. I remember running Mandrake 10 and trying to get it run solely off root so I didn't have to switch back and forth or use su everytime.
  • Running stuff as root all the time is a brilliant way to get exploited.
  • Q wrote:
    What then? The "You're an administrator but not THE administrator so it doesn't count" thing?

-Q
    Yep. Most systems have things set up so that if you're in the "wheel" group, you can sudo, otherwise even that is off limits.
  • I don't worry about that stuff, cause it's never happened to me. I'm not paranoid about getting hacked.
  • If the alternate logon was better I would've been a little happier back then. I remember something failing because I ran it with "su do", but it called something else that didn't have administrative power, so the whole thing failed.

-Q
  • There's not giving a damn, and plain stupid.
  • Yeah, Linux already had security measures in back in the day...
    The regular user logons on most of the distros I used wouldn't let me do much.
  • Try setting your windows user to "users". It's about as bad.
  • I missed that.

-Q