New Router

edited April 2007 in Hardware
I'm getting a new router tomorrow. After having my D-Link DI-624 crap out, and having to revert to a old Netgear that's on the fritz, I decided it's time to get a new one.

It'll be a Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1. I'm actually buying a "new" WRT54GS and trading for an older model, because the older ones are better. It has 32 MB RAM / 8 MB Flash Memory, so it's great for reflashing with the "full" version of DD-WRT, a totally kickass firmware. 216 MHz CPU too.

Comments

• All I can do is shudder when I think of Linksys. The one I had was not good.

Have fun if you can.

-Q
  • I've been able to gather unflashed Linksys routers (especially the new VxWorks ones) suck, but if you get an older one and flash them with DD-WRT, they become "incredible".
  • It looks like it...

Now I have to do some research and see if mine is updatable. Is there a masterlist somewhere?

-Q
  • As far as I know, the only Linksys routers with custom firmware are the WRT54G/GS/GL series.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
  • Well, that rules mine out. I wonder if I'll ever find a use for it again.

-Q
  • Well, I'll need to see if I can find a use for two screwy routers. On the plus side, it means the universal multi-voltage AC adapter I've been using for the Netgear can be put to use elsewhere (I have this old educational typing device I want to try).
  • If it's just the routing part that's gone bad, you can try using them as switches.

-Q
  • Well, it's not, on the D-Link. The D-Link randomly reboots and overheats under even mild connection load, and it's absolutely horrible under heavy load.

The Netgear is just "borked", and it's showing signs (random connection drops).
  • After a painless installation and easy configuration, everything is running great.

wrt54gspo6.jpg
  • Here's a photo, it's the best one I got before the camera batteries died.

hpim0420zd4.th.jpg
  • I recognize that modem!

...and the Cisco logo lights up... Interesting.

-Q
  • Indeed, it's a great modem.

It lights up because it's a button to do some "EasySecureSetup" function, which obviously doesn't work without the default Linksys firmware. Regardless, it makes a nice power LED in contrast with the rest of the little green ones.
  • I actually miss my old "Castle" modem from Comcast. The beaten up 3Com before that I've almost forgotten about.

-Q
  • I just got a new modem a few months ago, after my old one got fried by a power surge. But my Linksys router works great, and I'm hoping to buy a USB Wireless Adapter from them, to replace my DLink. And I will never buy DLink again, their Tech Support almost screwed my whole wireless system up. Plus their products are always screwing up. I had a DI-624 as well, it died really fast.
  • Q wrote:
    All I can do is shudder when I think of Linksys. The one I had was not good.

Have fun if you can.

-Q

Same here. My BEFW11S4 was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! Every time I would view/listen streaming media, the connection would drop and I'd have to cycle power to it. It was the most annoying thing ever. So I gave it to my cousin who now still has the same problems with it. :p Only D-Link for me now... :)

Nick
  • Well, the only problems I've had with my Linksys is that every month or so I have to reboot cause the IP lease expires. But everything I have no other conclusion but to say that my DLink adapter is crap. I will never use their products again.
  • Of the 3 routers I've used, the one from them seems to be the best of the lot. The UI could be a little better, but it's definitely the best.

-Q
  • After my D-Link crapped out after less than a year, I don't really trust them anymore.

This Linksys is great - the default Linksys interface sucks, but DD-WRT is great.
  • I got a WRT54G, runs great.
  • Duff wrote:
    [...] - the default Linksys interface sucks, [...]

That was one of my main complaints about it, the web access was intolerably slow and the UI confusingly set up. I remember they used a button as a progress bar.

-Q
  • To me, didn't seems much worse than the DLink interface. I had a Compaq, and that one was a weird interface.
  • Q wrote:
    button as a progress bar.

-Q

Yep, for the firmware upgrade. It would get longer and longer till it was finished... lol. I also didn't like their UI.

Nick
  • A Compaq router?!

-Q
  • Yeah, it was used under the iPaq model name until they changed the name to PocketPCs.
  • Compaq computers were bad enough, I hate to think of what a router from them would be like. Ick...

-Q
  • I had an Armada 7790 and it was one of the best computers I had (for it's time of 1995). But I can see that they wouldn't be great.
  • Duff wrote:
    Here's a photo, it's the best one I got before the camera batteries died.

hpim0420zd4.th.jpg
    Hey! my Motorola SRV5120 is the big and complete version of the modem that you have (my connection is CableModem ADSL) : )
  • FedeVista wrote:
    (my connection is CableModem ADSL) : )

THAT I've never heard of before.

-Q
  • ADSL is just an accelerated form of DSL.