Windows NT 3.51 VHD ready to go for Monday

edited April 2007 in Software
If wanted it features
NT 3.51 patched for modern ATA with SP5
Office 97 Standard
Norton NT Tools (gives a file manager like win 95 explorer)
RealPlayer
Firefox 1.5x
IE 5 (16 bit)
NTFS converted

untouched shell, you can install the Tech preview on it if you like.

Can be ghosted to most era (I mean TX/BX/VX/ZX chipset era, mileage may vary on SiS and VIA) hardware if you start it in VGA mode after first boot.

Expands to a two Gig VHD, compressed size is 300megsish

If wanted will upload to a couple reliable file shares for downloads

NT351.png

Comments

• Now that is something interesting... I got your 3.11 VHD and am waiting to install VPC.

-Q
  • I'm going to see about getting a public "wwupload" account back online so there is a central file sharing place.
  • You can use my FTP's public upload if you want.

-Q
  • Now that is a sight!

I would love a NT 3.51 VHD (lol even though I have a 486 sitting behind me that has a NT 3.51 / WFWG 3.11 dual boot)

Why did you install RealPlayer though? :|
  • Where's that? I can't find it in the pic.

-Q
  • I originally did the build to migrate an application that used embedded rm's and fli vids. fli was first but rm added later. Anyhow, this was the platform it was used on initially and since I was recoding the app from scratch..

Well anyhow, I left RM on it. Shrug.

I'll upload it on monday and you can unistall RM. lol

I think I'll change the disk type to an expanding VHD and upload it uncompressed to try and eliminate one point of possible errors.
  • Sounds good, I look forward to playing around in NT 3.51 again.
  • Sorry this took so long, the upload crapped out on me many times. This time the file is complete.

Download Here
    http://fileho.com/download/d5aea8755970 ... d.vhd.html
  • i cant download it i get a mysql error from the hoster. Try filefactory.
  • I'm getting it. I'll let people get it off me later so they don't have to put up with "FileHo".

-Q
  • It's a good Ho that fileho

Seriously I tried an upload to divshare but they limit files to 300 megs and since I didn't want to compress this image so that left that out. I tried a few others with issues over file size etc and gave up and went back to the fileho.

Since Q will have it, you can get it off him as the easisest way around things.
  • Nothing wrong with the filebadlady.com but here's some links I
    got in early March.
    I try and check every so often to see what's currently
    available for online storage and it seemed to really improve
    this time. Here are 6 places that will let you put up at least
    one gig and at least one gig of bandwidth:
    * box.net
    * DropBoks
    * eSnips
    * MediaMax
    * OmniDrive
    * openomy
    MediaMax was the most generous with storage with 25 gigs
    but only allows 1 gig of bandwidth a month so it'd take you
    over two years to download it again.

Thump
  • I was getting it earlier but now it seems to download a file 0 bytes big :P
  • FFS I hate this, I'd host it on my own server but I don't want M$ hassles considering I'm a dev partner.

I'll rar it and upload to divshare and some of the others that Thump has kindly posted.

I should have just uploaded to Q.....growl
  • I've been wondering-is it just windows NT 3.51 with a few patches, or is it 3.51 with Virtual PC, or neither?
  • It's just the windows NT 3.51 VHD with the applications installed listed in the first post. No big deal but all the pain of tweaking is taken away, the OS is ready to go as soon as you create a VM and mount the VHD.

If you would like to download Virtual PC 2007 (it's FREE) you can do so from M$ for the expense of nothing but the time it takes.

This page has a download link
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... rview.mspx
  • It doesn't fit my requirements, as I have 98SE and XP home.
  • It runs on XP Home perfectly well, it's just not officially supported by M$
  • I'm not X64 either, I want to burn it to disk to install on my XP Home PC.
  • What has that got to do with anything? You can download a 32 bit or 64 bit version, regardless the VM's don't support 64 bit OS installs.

If you want that you need VMware
  • OK-downloading now.
  • I got it off FileHo, it should be at http://wwsvr.bounceme.net/NT3.51upload.vhd

-Q
  • I downloaded it tuesday soon after it was posted, I got the whole thing already

I haven't setup the VM though, I'll do that later when I have some free time.

And yes, VPC works perfectly fine under XP Home. I use it on the family PC which is running XP Home
  • Thanks for the VHD. I got it setup fine under Virtual PC 2007, but I can't seem to get it connected to the internet with Firefox or Internet Explorer... Any help?
  • Yeah you need a route to the internet for you VM's.

Typically users install an artificial network adapter in their real computer called the Microsoft loopback adapter., bind the network services (TCP/IP) to it and then bridge the connection to their real NIC card

Or you can unless try and select NAT under network options in the VPC options for that machine.

There's tons of data on the web on this. I can't do it justice.
  • I must say you've done a very nice job of making a NT 3.51 image.

But I had to add a few of my own customizations.

I uninstalled realplayer, I installed winamp 2.0 and mIRC 5.0

Changed the firefox skin to my favorite skin, Outlook Blue.

And found a cool wallpaper.

screenies:

scrn1oo9.jpg

scrn2rq2.jpg

The outlook bar is there still, just set to auto hide.

and here is the link to the background if anyone wants it:

http://www.istcomputers.com/resources/Majesty.bmp

Now all that we need is a scroll wheel driver :-|
  • looks very good, I can probably patch together scroll wheel support for an MS mouse driver, I have the source so it would work in a VPC (because the hardware is emulated).

I notice you have file manager open, try using the Norton file manager, it's more like explorer and has the usual right click functions (I'm just saying take a look at it). Very cool OLD SKOOL for sure....

nice job
  • Anyone know how to install the loopback adapter under Vista? I've searched, and all I can find information is for XP
  • I did use the Norton file manager a little bit, especially when I opened a zip file I downloaded.

Its nice I guess, probably heaps better than file manager, but I'm just used to file manager I guess.

Man, it has been so long since I used NT 3.51 or 3.x or have been in a 3x environment, kind of takes some getting used to.

I was able to play a few mp3's, but a lot of them lagged or just failed all together. But most of that is to blame on the emulation.
  • http://blogs.msdn.com/briankel/archive/ ... vista.aspx

Bluesun, you can also performance tune the VPC for the CPU cycles it needs or doesn't need etc.. lots of stuff you can do, I don;t get any lag unless I change focus to another VPC