Motherboard+cpu suggestions

I am looking at upgrading in the next few months and want to know a good cpu to go for when I get a motherboard. The motherboard brand I am looking into is asus cause the one I have is theirs. Any ideas? 64 or 64x2? Ugh, so many types have come out since I went on a mission.

Comments

• If it's in your budget, go for a Core 2 Duo (and consequently, a LGA775 motherboard).

I haven't upgraded my main workstation to Core 2 Duo yet (only the Dell and laptop are), so I don't have any personal motherboard suggestions, but the processor is rock solid.
  • Yeah, get a Core 2 Duo :>
  • I would love a Core 2 Duo, but I already have the motherboard and CPU for my new system, given to me for free because my brother-in-law upgraded to Core 2 Duo.

the motherboard can't support Core 2 Duo, I already looked into it :-\

Meh, it will still beat what I have now.

and LGA775 is sexy as hell.
  • I wish I wish I wish AMD would make something new and decent...

Anyway, all of my information is so outdated I don't have any advice.

-Q
  • I know how you feel, but I've always been a bit over-whelmed by all the choices for processors.

The CPU I get is usually determined by what I could get for free or cheap. Usually hand-me-down hardware.

If I were going to build a system from scratch, all on my own, I would start with the CPU, an Intel Core 2 Duo, I've heard awsome things about it.

I would find a motherboard that would support it, probably whatever board was cheapest while still having features and support that I wanted.
  • Although not the best now, I have to admit my board has been incredibly good for me for as long as I've had it.

-Q
  • Even though athlon x2's can't touch core 2 duos, they are really cheap - which makes them attractive.

an athlon 6000 is about $90 cheaper than a c2d 6600.

At any rate, definitely go dual core.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21938&vpn=ADO4000DDBOX&manufacture=AMD
  • agreed , multiple cores or multiple CPU's is the only way to fly, just buy whatever fits your budget. Multitasking with more than one proc is a smooth elegant experince that makes computing work like it was promised to.
  • This is more of a support thing...

Moved to Support > HW

-Q

PS. Is it just me or is that comment reminiscent of those old BeBoxes?