Windows ME. Hate it, Like it and why?

Comments

• NT 4 on the NT side, NT server if it is wanted, ME on the 9x side. I think that's recent enough. More recent software is well supported, I just thought the old VM's would give some fun....

Mdogg, I have Vista VM's. That's where I like Vista the best. Our licenses allow up to four VM installs per physical license, up to ten per license with our MSDN subscriptions.
  • I meant to say, Are you installing any Windows Vista VMs.
  • I don't understand the question. Do you mean,
    Installing Guest VMs on Vista as a host? Installing Vista as a guest VM? Uploading a Vista VM?
  • Yes you answered my question. Just that you answered it before I posted the last post from me. I was talking about using Vista as a guest OS and you've told me that.
  • Speaking of Windows ME in VMs, who *does* have Windows ME in their VMs? I don't but I will soon. I'm sort of having trouble networking Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. "New Technology" pfft. Windows Vista is the *real* New Technology. It could probably be networked in 5-10 seconds. I've had to re-install Windows NT 4.0 2 times in 2 attempts just today!
  • Installing Vista in a VM is gonna be slow, as VM software doesn't do 3d Acceleration.
  • Maybe it would detect it? I know that during the final phase of installation it does this thing where it says something to the effect of "Calculating system performance". It might disable real high end features of it if it finds the system woefully unprepared.

-Q
  • Vista disables stuff there's no hardware support for on install. Performance is OK in a VM, the bottleneck is as much disk speed as anything else. SO no good for gamers or those who want the Aero experience, plus the ISA soundblaster driver in VPC doesn;t work as Vista has no ISA support.....
  • So Vista detects how good your hardware is and turns features on or off depending? That maybe why a Vista computer at a shop when I tried to play Solitaire said,

"Hardware rendering is either turned off or not supported by your hardware so Software rendering is required to play which may slow down performance."

Is that why it complains or do you think the shop turned it off on purpose?
  • I don't know. I don't think the shop would disable it unless it provoked even worse errors.

-Q
  • i think it gets disabled when it does that hardware experience thing when you first install it.
  • I think Aero is just based on your video card. All newer cards are supported pretty much. My cheap laptop's ATI Xpress 200M is supported. Although it's not really a bad card. Aero works flawlessly on here.
  • Aero, isn't that much of a graphical phenomenon.
  • What exactly IS "Aero"? I mean, I'm guessing the translucence of the window borders is part of it...

-Q
  • It's a function that describes the 3D rendering of certain aspects of Vista's interface. On a fast with system with a fast 3D aaccellerator it' doesn't create a problem. So think 9800pro or better type 3D speed.
  • Nah, its flawless on my brother's 9600 pro. Anything in and above the 8000 series is fine. Im running an X800 GTO so i ahve nothing to worry about.
  • It seemed to run fine on my (evidently notorious) FX 5200.

-Q
  • What is up with everyone and the "Notorious" hate towards the FX 5200?
  • I don't know, but Wipeout and I both seemed to get it (Him a little more so to my eye) since we have the cards and are given no trouble with them.

-Q
  • I was about to buy that card before i switched over to my old ATI Radeon 9600 PRO. I guess i meade the right decision.
  • No one seems to have said that Aero stands for Authentic, Energetic, Reflective and Open. It's the name of the UI like Windows XP's UI was unofficially named Luna (don't ask me why or what it stands for if it stands for something).
  • i have me on vm and it hasent had one error so i like it
  • I really wonder why everyone thinks "Windows Means Evil". I think ME is the most polished version of the DOS based systems (9x).
  • mdogg wrote:
    No one seems to have said that Aero stands for Authentic, Energetic, Reflective and Open.

Probably because that really doesn't mean anything: It's a rather lame forced acronym on Microsoft's part.

A92: Because of many reasons depending on who you are, some of which are (For lack of a better phrase) political.

-Q
  • I think one of the reasons why people hate ME is because they hated the BSODs they got in 9x in general after realizing that BSODs were much less common in NT and when they got used to taking out CDs in use and not getting BSODs, they decided that 9x was ancient and annoying.

Also I think that Windows ME has a lot of extra features hanging about it that Windows 98 never had making the previous 9x computers not able to handle ME and therefore, people had a bad experience with it. Then people never wanted to try it again making it one of the most hated operating systems made. But if people tried it on their systems now, they might not have such a horrible experience.
  • Yes exactly. Many people hate it just because other people do. The OS is far from perfect, but its also far from the POS that people seem to think it is.
  • Well people just have to face facts. NO OS is perfect
  • How would you describe a 'perfect' os?
  • Fast, reliable, no bugs, 1000% compatible with everything, cheap to buy, Internet Explorer as an option (not mandatory).
  • adragons wrote:
    Yes exactly. Many people hate it just because other people do. The OS is far from perfect, but its also far from the POS that people seem to think it is.
    My experience with ME was simply bad, I mean about the only real improvement over 98SE was the inclusion of System Restore and perhaps integrated compression support.

Beyond those two features, almost everything in ME was released for 98SE including the then new IE bundle and Media Player.

In terms of the OS stability, it was horrid, even on systems designed for ME but I believe that was more on the fact that most ME drivers were 98 drivers with modified .INIs to say it had support when it wasn't really developed and tested for ME.