Missing Operating System

edited June 2004 in Software
I recently aquired a Winbook xp5 laptop that reads "Missing Operating System" upon booting. As I am inexperienced with laptops I was wondering if there was any advise out there. I do not have any factory disks to install. please help

Comments

• That means that no OS (Windows, DOS, anything) is installed.

I suggest you get an OS, either from WinWorld (If it's ABW (95, 98, NT)), or get from somewhere else an updated one. and install it.

-Q
  • Wasnt the "Missing Operating System" because the partitions thre, but theres no system files?
  • I'm not sure.... I think it would say Missing OS if there aren't system files either way.
  • Missing OS is a BIOS error message when there is no available devies to boot from.
  • No, thats "INACESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"
  • Just format the disk and install a new OS in it.
  • yep. If you just want DOS, boot it up with a DOS bootdisk, and go FORMAT C: /SYS and then COPY A:\ C:\

thatll get you a basic DOS install. make sure to add HIMEM.SYS into config.sys by typing in "DEVICE=[path]\HIMEM.EXE
  • Yeah, and install 2000 w/sp4 or XP w/SP1 because you don't have the factory disks and you will need the drivers. The drivers should come with those OS.
  • Winbooks are old
  • Heh sorry misread. Thought he meant XP. You know what I mean.
  • Yeah, I think the makers of WinBook should sue M$ for using XP way after they used it.

Also, IBM shyould sue too. They use XP before all of them. "PS\2 Model 95 XP" or something like that.
  • doesnt missing operating system mean that the bootsectors fucked up? thats happedned to my laptop at the moment. could be a virus y'know. only problem my laptop have no cdrom dive reinstalling windows could be interesting.....
  • No, thats "INACESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"

No, that's when NTLDR and/or NTOSKRNL.EXE goes south.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    No, thats "INACESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"

No, that's when NTLDR and/or NTOSKRNL.EXE goes south.

-Q

don't they refer to NT oses ain't this the 9x bit?
  • Yea, I was just correcting Fish.

-Q
  • I think he was saying that this was in the wrong forum... being 9x....