Cheap Laptops

edited March 2010 in Hardware
I'm in the market for a new sub-$500 laptop (not a netbook), preferably with a dual-core CPU. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

I'm considering this machine here. I've checked some online retailers (Newegg, Tigerdirect, Geeks.com) and after shipping and all the price comes out relatively the same.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Go for it. I'm fond of my toshiba.
  • Seems a good buy, though it may be worth waiting a few more months till the mobile i3 and i5 gear starts to shift mainstream then buy one of these older models at the end of life sale and get it cheaper.
  • Funny this thread came up today...

I'm looking for a good, old laptop.

Primary prerequisite: no wireless internet.
  • You want a laptop with no wireless connection?
  • Absolutely.

I had one that I absolutely loved. With no casual use of internet, it was the only machine I could get any actual work done on.

That good ol' unit has since given up the ghost.

SO! Saddened though I am, I'm looking for a replacement.
  • So your only reason for wanting a laptop without wireless is so that you're not distracted and can actually get work done?

If so, why not just disable the wireless either through the operating system or the BIOS? That's what I do, when I'm working on something and lack the self control to stay off the internet and focus on my work, I just disable the connection. That usually works because I'm too lazy to re-enable the connection in order to browse the web.

Distracting or not, I'd still rather have the option. Although, with one exception (that I can think of at the moment), there's no place I go that I can't get a wired connection to the internet.
  • Simply having the option is enough to completely halt any progress I may make.

So having the physical inability to use it was the only way for me to go.

Though I may buy my friend's old-ish Eee PC and have him not include the wireless card.
  • Swifto wrote:
    Simply having the option is enough to completely halt any progress I may make.

So having the physical inability to use it was the only way for me to go.

Though I may buy my friend's old-ish Eee PC and have him not include the wireless card.

get an old Thinkpad T23.
  • Kindly point to where.
  • Swifto wrote:
    Kindly point to where.

Ebay?
  • I'm not trusting Ebay when it comes to computers.

Most other things? Yes.
  • And for 150% of the cost of that, I can get my friend's Eee PC.
  • Only in 2 years time the eeepc will be scratched and broken into many pieces. And the Thinkpad will still soldier on.
  • Thinkpads ftw! Mine's two years old now and it's pretty much in exactly the same condition I got it in.
  • FYI don't get conned into a Lenovo 3000 series. They aren't Thinkpads, and aren't nearly as durable.
  • BOD wrote:
    Only in 2 years time the eeepc will be scratched and broken into many pieces. And the Thinkpad will still soldier on.

Yep. My T23 is almost 8 years old now.
  • My R40 died around four years after it was made. With the R series being the consumer grade ThinkPads, I guess I'm not overly surprised.
  • RN wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    Only in 2 years time the eeepc will be scratched and broken into many pieces. And the Thinkpad will still soldier on.

My 385CD is 14 years old. :P

thinkpad-385cd: [Intel Pentium MMX @ 152MHz] - [Linux 2.6.26-2-486] - [Uptime: 48d 3h 0m 32s]
  • My old laptop was 14 years old, too.

A shame I had to be all funny with it... Using a Solid state drive instead of an actual hard drive. WHEN SUDDENLY solid state drive stopped, for some reason floppy won't work, and Win95 won't install off CD for some reason.

Bah.
  • Swifto wrote:
    My old laptop was 14 years old, too.

A shame I had to be all funny with it... Using a Solid state drive instead of an actual hard drive. WHEN SUDDENLY solid state drive stopped, for some reason floppy won't work, and Win95 won't install off CD for some reason.

Bah.

Mine has a 60GB HDD for no reason whatsoever with 560MB in use. lol
  • Mine was only a 2gb solid state, but that was more than I ever really needed on it.
  • CoreDuo wrote:
    RN wrote:
    BOD wrote:

My 385CD is 14 years old. :P

thinkpad-385cd: [Intel Pentium MMX @ 152MHz] - [Linux 2.6.26-2-486] - [Uptime: 48d 3h 0m 32s]

My hp dv2000 laptop has lasted me for about 4 years now. That's pretty noteworthy for an HP. haha...
  • RN wrote:
    My hp dv2000 laptop has lasted me for about 4 years now. That's pretty noteworthy for an HP. haha...

The dv6000 is even more noteworthy. All the boards would inevitably die. :P
  • CoreDuo wrote:
    RN wrote:

Yeah, we know that from experience. 3 people on this forum have owned dv6000's and they all died.
  • 8)

I have a HP Compaq tc4400, I hope it's built better than HP's consumer laptops, being a "business class" machine. It's still under warranty for another three months though.
  • Duff wrote:
    8)

I have a HP Compaq tc4400, I hope it's built better than HP's consumer laptops, being a "business class" machine. It's still under warranty for another three months though.

HPaq business machines are definitely better built then the consumer bullshit. My school has both 6730bs and EliteBook 8730ws and they both feel more solid than even my gateway. The consumer models feel flimsier than a piece of paper.
  • noone wrote:
    CoreDuo wrote:
    RN wrote:

Yeah, we know that from experience. 3 people on this forum have owned dv6000's and they all died.

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I replaced the motherboard in a dv5 once. That was two and a half hours of PURE FUCKING HELL. I swear the entire time I thought I was going to snap every component in half.