Upgrading Chaos win3.1 to Xp

edited March 2011 in Software
You know, I've always wonderd what would happend if you went from
3.11-95-98-98se-me-2k-xp

Like with upgrade disks and no formating, how would the system take that much change

I plan to try it when i get the disks to burn the upgrades,

I've always wondered, I know 98(first) to Xp worked find but what if it had all of that other os shit in it

Any thoughts guys?

Comments

• That sounds disastrous. I doubt if the upgrade packages were designed to work in that manner.
  • Can you even upgrade a 9x to an NT OS and maintain the installed programs and whatnot?

Just to have a slightly better chance of success, I'd stick with NT OS's...

NT 3.x -> NT 4 -> 2000 -> XP -> Vista -> 7

Anyways, I'm actually interested in seeing the results of this experiment. My hypothesis is that it will fail massively or the end result will be a hugely unstable pile of shit.
  • Yea thats what I was thinking, and including older versons of porgrams aswell,

but the thing is I can not get vista and 7 on the systems I would like to try it out on, but I could do nt3 to 4 to 2k to xp, but I would need a patched nt disk
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Can you even upgrade a 9x to an NT OS and maintain the installed programs and whatnot?

Just to have a slightly better chance of success, I'd stick with NT OS's...

NT 3.x -> NT 4 -> 2000 -> XP -> Vista -> 7

Anyways, I'm actually interested in seeing the results of this experiment. My hypothesis is that it will fail massively or the end result will be a hugely unstable pile of shit.
    I agree +1

I'm also interested in how this shit/BSoD/Fail load goes on.. :O
  • Shit would break. That's all I gotta say. As far as 9x to NT, I think you're able to do that but that's a sure fire way to break shit all together.
  • I know I did 98 to xp and it was ok so I think 3.x to xp, with all of the os's in the middle will cause chaos
  • This... This actually interests me. Post your progress, BigJake.
  • I will soon I need money for disks to get them burned
  • Hey BigJake, Did you manage to stack all that malware on top of each other yet? How it went.
  • I never did anything yet, as I have not got the upgrade disks, if I got some blank cd-r's I can try
  • I thought newer versions of Windows force a clean install on the system.

Well, then again, I haven't done an OS upgrade in almost a decade.
  • Beyond lab assignments for class, the only times I can think of that I did an actual upgrade install of Windows was back on my old Pentium II laptop and my old K6-2 300mhz.

I did an NT 4 to 2000 pro upgrade on the k6-2, and the result was ok for the most part except that every once in a while, before the login prompt, I'd get a BSOD.

Then on the PII laptop, I did a 2000 to XP upgrade and the result of that was pretty horrible. It was probably salvageable, but a lot of programs stopped working and needed to be reinstalled, so I figured, why mess with reinstalling all of these programs, why not just clean install XP... so I did.
  • I had to upgrade from 98 to XP on an old laptop of mine, purely since the only way I could copy install files to it was with a USB stick, and the largest I had at the time was 64MB.

Putting XPs files on that = fail.
  • Also you should try getting programs that came out during the different times and are still around, and install the original version and update those in addition to Windows.
  • yea' I am geting a new computer soon so I'd be able to do that in a vm, and I might even do it in vm ware,
  • For some reason, I was once able to uninstall Windows 98, and it went back to Windows XP. O_o
  • That sounds strange, The only thing i can think of is some one edited some file in the windows installer for the system version and made it higher, then xp but the xp system would of had to be on fat32 as 98 can not see
  • You people make my brain hurt.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one here...
  • Ka0s wrote:
    I would imagine that install would be somewhat usable (he never really tested it that deeply) but if he had programs installed on there before he did each upgrade, he probably would of went through more hell.
  • He had the games installed. But I'm assuming you mean Windows applications?

I would have liked to see him install a Windows app or two.