Post your PC/Mac Collection

Comments

• lol. oh well its not gona look like windows when im done
  • im learning about linux and how to design one
  • Why don't you try learning English first? It's called a spell checker, all modern browsers have them (has IE9 added that or not? I can't remember).
  • i know english but with keyboards i can tap the wrong keyes
  • I hit the wrong keys all the time. But you know, those clever folks that invented the keyboard came up with a really neat feature. It's called a backspace key. And believe it or not, it actually allows you to remove a mistyped character so that you can correct it. Marvelous technology!
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I hit the wrong keys all the time. But you know, those clever folks that invented the keyboard came up with a really neat feature. It's called a backspace key. And believe it or not, it actually allows you to remove a mistyped character so that you can correct it. Marvelous technology!

^ QFE
  • even a retard knows what a backspace key is and what it does. i also use the backspace key quite frequantly
  • Not frequently enough. Also, besides using the wonderful spell checking feature of your browser, you may also try proper capitalization.

It may seem like I'm being mean, and I am. But it's for your own good. I guarantee that everyone here has endured the same insults to our typing skills and eventually we got tired of it, so we learned how to type properly.
  • Fair enough. From now on I will try to improve my speling and capitalization.
  • noble wrote:
    lol. oh well its not gona look like windows when im done

I don't even know where to start here......... *picks any random place* - how old are you? (this is always a *grrrrrreat* place to start)

You're modifying windows 98. So, you're not actually writing any code. You're going to reshack shit, add in a few drivers, and make it "faster". Removing Active Desktop, yeah, I can see that making it faster. But not much, and where do you plan to go from there, without appropriate access to the source code? If you're looking to do something to put on a resume, let me tell you what rebranding windows 98 (because that's pretty much what you're doing) will get you: If you walked into an interview with me, handed me your resume, I see that, I would just throw it out right then and there, laugh a little bit, and then direct you to the nearest McDonalds for employment.

You're also working with linux from scratch. Unless you're writing some form of packaging, how do you plan to distribute this distro? What's going to make me use it over rock solid debian? How do you plan to keep packages up to date, or are you just making another gentoo clone so you can have something to call your own without doing any real *work*? Strike three.
  • Distributions would be put on the net. Updates as well. The Windows 98 thing is only something to do in my spare time.
  • so let m get this straight... removing a dvd drive makes the system magically invisible? show us a picture of this dual pentium4 systems motherboard (since they don't exist)....

also, what use dies the world have for windows 98? isn't that almost as old as you at this point?
  • The 98 thing is just a personal project.
    I got board so i thought i might play around with an old opperateing system.
  • I can post pics 2 morow. Cause then i have enough time to fix it up.
  • guess you need a few hours to find some pictures on google images.
  • read the specs. i joked about all that shit to see what you guys are like. please read the specs again. I will post some pictures of the real thing 2 morow.
    If you want i will include me in it if you want.

the linux stuff and win 98 thing are tru tho.
    The 98 thing is only something to do when board, it will not be chopped up and put on the net to download as that is against the eula.
  • I will post images of the current computer im on. it runs windows 7 enterprise,
    2xseagate barracuda 7200s 80gb each.
    1xdvd writer.
    2 gigabyte ram.
    intel core2 duo.
    It is my work computer.
  • edited January 2011
    dsc00510.jpg

dsc00511.jpg

dsc00512.jpg
  • noble wrote:
    I typed all the specs diffrent because I am ashamed of it.
    Currently i think it is a piece of shit.

I went back and read the post and here's a little bit different spin on it. All of us have had to deal with doing a what we can with what we've got. When you doctor the specs that you post, somebody is going to notice. BlueSun has had to for years now with a Pentium 4 made out of mostly spare parts. I've had to do it before I could afford computers for myself as well.

t3642.jpg

That is what I had as of about a January 2010. The case the top PC is in is about 6 years old. I got it for about $40 at CompUSA (I'm not sure if you're familiar with that franchise, it went out of business years ago). It has a 120mm cooling fan zip tied to the side because the CPU was getting too hot. In the back it has a horrible 80mm LED fan that I still haven't taken out which doesn't even work. It's a 3 year old Core2Duo and has two CRT monitors connected to it. The PC on the bottom is a 6 year old AMD Sempron machine. The case was originally used for an Athlon 600MHz machine. The face plate is missing so that I could fit an 80mm fan that I zip tied to the front because the hard drive cage was tightly packed and the hard drives were overheating. It's got the cheap no-name power supply that the computer on the top of the rack's case came with.

The hardware may not be pretty but it works. It's all housed in a dusty, dirty basement. All that we ask of you is to be truthful the first time. It will get you a long way.
  • Ill post pics of mine tomorrow because im at the shop atm
  • CoreDuo wrote:
    noble wrote:
    I typed all the specs diffrent because I am ashamed of it.
    Currently i think it is a piece of shit.

I went back and read the post and here's a little bit different spin on it. All of us have had to deal with doing a what we can with what we've got. When you doctor the specs that you post, somebody is going to notice. BlueSun has had to for years now with a Pentium 4 made out of mostly spare parts. I've had to do it before I could afford computers for myself as well.

t3642.jpg

That is what I had as of about a January 2010. The case the top PC is in is about 6 years old. I got it for about $40 at CompUSA (I'm not sure if you're familiar with that franchise, it went out of business years ago). It has a 120mm cooling fan zip tied to the side because the CPU was getting too hot. In the back it has a horrible 80mm LED fan that I still haven't taken out which doesn't even work. It's a 3 year old Core2Duo and has two CRT monitors connected to it. The PC on the bottom is a 6 year old AMD Sempron machine. The case was originally used for an Athlon 600MHz machine. The face plate is missing so that I could fit an 80mm fan that I zip tied to the front because the hard drive cage was tightly packed and the hard drives were overheating. It's got the cheap no-name power supply that the computer on the top of the rack's case came with.

The hardware may not be pretty but it works. It's all housed in a dusty, dirty basement. All that we ask of you is to be truthful the first time. It will get you a long way.

Pretty much, Until i bought my new shit i worked with a 3 year old laptop that was heavily beaten up and abused (hey, it went everywhere with me, it's seen it's fair share of skis and shit on the CTA) and a desktop that was given to me by someone on IRC. Atleast you have *something*
  • I should really spring for some AA batteries so I can take a picture of my Windows 7 box. It's not quite as bad as CoreDuo's examples as it looks presentable on the front / sides. The back is where the ghetto-rigging takes place. I needed another fan to drop the case temps, but I didn't have any vents. So I used the openings for the serial ports to cut a hole big enough to fit an 80 mm fan.
  • I should get some pics of cookiemonsters dremel cut vents and cable tie hdd mountings :D
  • Just to add what I've dealt with over the years, until about 2004, I was still using a computer running Windows 3.1. Wasn't until 2006 I got off Windows ME and until about 2008 was using scrapped computers from my school and parts my dad brought home using Windows XP with a VLK key I got from school. Sort of explains how I found winworld in the earlier days (though never joined the boards) since I was still using old crap.

Still trying to find old pictures of the damn things, they're about somewhere.

Edit: found one. This is the Windows ME box I got handed down to me and used for years. With CRT monitor.
    0111wrgf.jpg
  • noble wrote:
    dsc00510.jpg

dsc00511.jpg

dsc00512.jpg

this appears to be a school owned pc. hence the sticker on it with the id number, and the name 'cyclone computers' (who primarily does systems for schools.
  • It even sort of looks like it's sitting a computer lab, doesn't it?
  • thats cause it is, lol.
  • Serial sticker, textbook, computer name sticker.
  • edited January 2011
    it is one of the ones we helped eit get.
    iv got a job at the hastings centre fixing them if they shit out (they rarely do)

its not a text book its a cd case
  • edited January 2011
    dsc00514.jpg

dsc00515.jpg

dsc00516.jpg

dsc00517.jpg

dsc00518.jpg

this is my computer. Recantly i have been adding, changing, and swapping parts around.

like in one picture you will see a cpu fan.
    In the other you will see a cpu fan with a grill.
    I also evaned out the ram so it runs abit faster.
    the board came out of a ibm think centre, i got it from a place called laptops r us.
    they said all it done was beep at them when they powered it up.
    when i took it home all it needed was some ram so i scored a free perfactly good motherboard.
    it came with a intel celeron 2.6GHz which i replaced in the future