paq8

edited January 2012 in Software
does anyone here use a program called paq8 because I do.
What is paq8?

well paq8 is abandoned back in '10. paq8 has a EXTREMELY HIGH compression rate of 13% to 35% (depending on method). No this is not fuckin' spam. Nor am i a bot. I just wanted to project the message.

PS: please answer this, why are so many apps were abandoned back in '10?

Comments

• Never used paq8, used to use WinRAR for specific purposes but now only use 7-zip, on Windows anyway.

Were more apps abandoned in '10 than in '08, '09, or '11? Where are you getting that from? Old apps, I'm sure, are abandoned all the time now because in a way the standard desktop application is becoming obsolete.

Not entirely obsolete, but it's becoming inefficient for the average end user. Why (pay $200 to) get a bulky office suite when all the functionality you need is available for free, hosted on the cloud, with Google Docs? I could probably come up with some reasons why I like downloadable, traditional software - but web apps are becoming more popular all the time.

It's the ease of use and platform neutrality, and the ease of access and cloud storage, that attracts users. Cloud synchronization is nice. There are apps like Google Docs and Google Music (and sort of, Dropbox) which include a pretty nice amount of cloud storage space.

Paq8 does seeem like a nice archiving program and it's free as well but there could be a ton of factors why its author would stop maintaining the code. We don't know what his personal reasons may be; 7-zip and other compression programs could've been a factor...
  • Web apps may be the future, but not for a while. At least, not until broadband speeds and coverage have greatly improved.

What we're moving more towards now is syncing local apps and data to the cloud and eventually offloading heavier computing to the cloud. Eventually people will be able to cut ties to one device. The device itself will be immaterial and all the user needs to do is log in to a device and they'll immediately have access to all of their apps and data. But they'll still be able to use the device without internet access. It will just have less capability.
  • I don't use it. I use 7zip/RAR. That said it doesn't look too abandoned: http://mattmahoney.net/dc/ - Sure it may have not been developed in a while, but it looks like the developer is experimenting with other compression methods lately.

It's also GPL, it can (and looks like it will) live on as a fork/used in someone else's piece of software.

And what apps were abandoned in 2010, care to provide examples?
  • in '10 these apps were abandoned:
    -A lightweight mozilla based browser called Kameleon
    -a few p2p apps.
    -a few more i can't name
  • in '10 these apps were abandoned:
    -A lightweight mozilla based browser called Kameleon
    -a few p2p apps.
    -a few more i can't name

sounds like every other year in technology, unnotiable shit almost nobody uses die. big deal?
  • I remember K-Meleon, tried it out a few years ago, was unimpressed. Haven't thought about it since then.

According to this forum post, one of the developers left after realizing Firefox was better.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I remember K-Meleon, tried it out a few years ago, was unimpressed. Haven't thought about it since then.

According to this forum post, one of the developers left after realizing Firefox was better.
    The screenshots remind me of Firefox back when it was called Phoenix/Firebird. I kinda missed the lightweightness of the browser then.
  • I used K-Meleon on my old laptop for a while - I like it, really, it was a cross between IE and Firefox, in terms of interfaces... It wasn't great though. Now I've got Opera 11.11 running on it through KernelEx and it's great - with AdBlock ;)
  • is K-Meleon abdonware now :( i use that as standard browser on my old Windows box thingie :p
  • well not necessarily abandonware, but no longer maintained. If you need a decent browser for Windows 9x, use Opera 10.63. Or install KernelEx and run Opera 11.11. Either, I've found, work great on my Dell Inspiron 5000 with Win98SE. The advantage of Opera 11.11 is the Extensions capability and improved Mail interface. However I don't know how well Flash playback works with KernelEx, or setting it as the default browser for local HTML files.