installing windows XP error

edited March 2012 in Hardware
I'm trying to fix an HP 740N, but when I try to run windows setup, it states that an unexpected error (1040171264) occurred at line 1773. I can only boot from a 'USB FDD', the internal floppy drive, or the CD ROM (but it keeps coming up as undetected), because the hard drive is blank. how do i get windows XP installed?

Comments

• Three things might be wrong.

Bad hard drive
    Bad ribbon cable
    bad motherboard

You sure you created the partition correctly?
  • first of all is it a clean xp cd.
  • its a copy that I got from microsoft in 2004, and never had issues before. As for the motherboard, I suspect that it may have finally given up since I once had issues with my ps/2 ports in the past, and the CD drive being undetected once before!
  • First of all have you made sure all drives are detected properly in the BIOS. If not start there. Check all cables are correctly inserted and all jumpers are correct. If you know this to be the case then if you can try another cable or systematically check each optical and hard disk's one by one in your system. Also clearing the CMOS wouldn't hurt.

Next make sure your RAM sticks are inserted correctly, hell even try the install with just one chip if you get repeated errors.

I am assuming this is the US computer HP Pavilion 740N running some flavour of a Pentium 4 and using DDR1 RAM.

We need some more specs really to be truly helpful, but the first thing to do is to make sure all your drives are showing correctly in the BIOS.

There may even be faults with the power connectors so don't for get to check them as well, re seat the connectors and make sure you fiddle the wires around and that the connectors are firmly in place.

Again more details required, if they are showing in the BIOS that's step one achieved.