OPENSTEP 4.2 Screenshots

edited February 2013 in Software
I took the time to download and setup OPENSTEP 4.2 from your downloads with the help of this guide. I used VirtualBox. I also used this webpage. If someone wants me to, I can compile the information included in these two pages and use them for a guide of my own on WinWorld. I took some screenshots, so here we go!

11853724.png
The OPENSTEP 4.2 Login Screen

11853726.png
The OPENSTEP 4.2 File Manager

11853734.png
The OPENSTEP 4.2 Edit Application

11853735.png
Chess on OPENSTEP 4.2 (The computer is black)

Now for some developer tools...

11853737.png
Interface Builder

11853741.png
Project Builder

I am quite delighted with OPENSTEP 4.2. The only thing I don't like is that they chose Objective C as the programming language for developers. But I can live, I suppose. Let me know what you think and let me know if I should do an installation tutorial for OPENSTEP 4.2 on VirtualBox (using the poll above).

Comments

• That is so cool. How similar is it to OS X? I'm aware that they both use the .app format for applications, do they also share things like Cocoa?
  • The OpenStep (different from OPENSTEP) apis are the foundation for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch. Mac OSX is also based on the mach kernel, which was also used by OPENSTEP.
  • Ah. That's so cool to see in action. I knew about Mach kernel already, but how many differences are there? Like, kernel wise? Does OPENSTEP still use kexts as kernel modules, like Mac OS X?
  • The older mach-hybrid kernel is interesting because it apparently made extensive use of Objective-C. I recall seeing that in the Rhapsody developer guide somewhere. Apple ripped that out and implemented a subset of C++ and now we have IOKit et al. In general there are more similarities than differences, check out the Mac OS X Internals book and compare it to an OpenStep system.
  • The system itself is quite fast. The only thing that slows down start-up time is when the OS must check the disk. There is no stopping the OS and it takes a long time (at least compared to Ubuntu when it checks the disk).
  • That sounds like a holdout from classic Unix and BSD. Pretty sure early OS X did that as well.
  • Openstep is cool tried to run Gnustep: http://www.gnustep.org/ on my eMac with Debian but it worked shitty with new software :(
  • I was trying to get WIndow Maker working well enough for daily use, but I ran into errors when trying to compile certain applets to manage the network and audio, etc.

I'll give OPENSTEP a try though, because I really like the look and feel of the interface here. How stable is it as a regular OS?
  • It works quite well, it never crashed on me. The only problem you'll have is finding software for it! :)
    As for Windows Maker, if you're using Ubuntu you can get binaries of Window Maker by following these instructions: http://www.howtogeek.com/109686/how-to- ... on-ubuntu/