Win95 Original on i386!!

Comments

• Newshell is like Calmira for Windows NT 3.51 I think but its buggier...
  • once u got newshell, you cant get rid of it
  • And you can't install Service Packs, so install SP5 before NS.

-Q
  • yeah, but any get the full newshell 2 instead of the beta?
  • Was it ever finalized? If there is a final NS2 out there it would be amazzing to find, but all I've seen are the 2 different beta.

-Q
  • I don't think it was ever finished, scraped it and just went with NT 4.0
  • No, NT 3.51 failed to run on 4Mb, so I got twice more ram. Now it's 8Mb... still NT 3.51 runs like crap on it...
  • NT 3.51 needs like 12MB or more to run decently...thats why I said, I woulda went with Windows 3.11 and DOS if you didnt have more then 12MB of RAM
  • Windows 3.11 is alright, NT 3.51 is much worse, but works OK, too...
  • If anyone finds this so-called complete newshell, give me it :P WinWorld could use it!
  • You can get Newshell and Newshell 2 off Toastytech.com It's widely distrobuted as free ABW. MS no long supports it though or has it on thier FTP. Mainly becuase it was a beta.
  • No, the complete version of newshell for WinNT 3.51 is called WinNT 4.0 lol . Newshell exactly was NT4 Beta.
  • nononon.

Cairo was the NT 4 beta.

Newshell came out in 95 after Windows 95 to give NT 3.51 that new look. It was basicly Explorer for NT 3.51.

If will say 4.0 in the "about" box, this I dont know, but It is NOT NT 4.0 Beta.
  • You're not right... first this was released in order to have a look @ NT4 in future, and then this project got down, cuz NT4 was released
  • Been there. Done that. Old computer. Next to nothing in resouces.

Fun!
  • ...Your resources should be exactly the same in 9.x, no matter what PC your on. a 486 with 8MB RAM still has the same exact resource pool as a P3 with 256MB RAM.
  • Should I try 95 original on a 486 with 24mb RAM?
  • Damn! You can easily run NT4 or Win98 on that machine!
  • Yea, but it only has a floppy drive, no CD-ROM.
  • You may try NT 3.51 version packaged on floppy disks... I've seen it once... Let me find it...
  • Ok, try.
  • WinWorld's 3.5 is the floppy version, I think.
  • No, it's not. I have it. It consists of one i386 folder...
  • Then what's with all the DISK*.W?
  • Disk identifiers.
  • Found it, Slash?
  • Ok. I think it's easier to copy all the NT3.51 i386 folder using several floppy disks, and then, to run setup from hard drive.
  • Yea, but then... aaargh... isn't there a flp version??
  • Damn.. ok, I still need a nice OS for my 486.
This discussion has been closed.