Win95 Original on i386!!

Comments

• Can you put a CD drive in it?
  • Nope. Its an AcerNote350.
  • cant you buy a parrallel enclosure? or PCMCIA?
  • Nah.. don't have time for that..
  • What about one of those backpack CD drives that connect to the parallel port?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    What about one of those backpack CD drives that connect to the parallel port?

-Q
    Good idea. He should try.
  • I got my Compaq DeskPro P2 233MMX with Windows 95C and i reformat that thing like the world was going to end... Then I put 2000 Pro in it... Alot better.
  • 2000 on 233mhz??? that has to be damn slow loading
  • 2000 in a 486 DX4 got stuck @ the startup screen!

-Q

I installed it on 166. The first copy (from winnt.exe) took forever, but after that install was pretty quick. Once I was done, it started up faster than my frien'ds PC and a lot faster than at school (some of the teachers have 2000 machines).

you think thats bad? i ran 2003 on mine for ages
  • Q wrote:
    2000 in a 486 DX4 got stuck @ the startup screen!

-Q
    It worked for me, on DX4, but I used to have 64Megs! :)
  • When I ran it on 166 it had 64MB of memory.
  • Q wrote:
    2000 in a 486 DX4 got stuck @ the startup screen!

-Q

was that the one that you said that the trial would run out before it finished booting LOL
  • It had 64MB too, and it was @ 120MHz, not 100MHz as (I think) DX4s are normally.

-Q

PS. Then again it WAS AS, so that might have done something :wink:
  • Advanced Server should have nothing to do with it. It's all about the advanced networking featured and tools.

And I've had 2000 on a 90 MHz. It loaded fine :-P You must have hardware errors.

And lastly, the DX4 ranged from 75 MHz to somewhere around 180 MHz depending on what company you're referring to. AMD or Intel.
  • It was a Cyrix DX2 that for some reason ran as a DX4 (NO idea).

And didn't 2000(A/DC)S have IIS installed and running by default, or was that NT4?

-Q
  • Uhhh.....

What version of NT4? Server doesn't. And I never tried Terminal and I don't have the other version, it slips my mind at the moment.

As for 2000, the regular 2000 doesn't.
  • I knew there was some "default" setting to IIS in 2000 that gained it infamy, but it might not've been that.

-Q
  • Steve wrote:
    And lastly, the DX4 ranged from 75 MHz to somewhere around 180 MHz depending on what company you're referring to. AMD or Intel.
    /me knows that the fastest 486 was AMD 5x86 133MHz
  • Isn't that a PI compatible then?

-Q
  • I think so. But that CPU was used in 486 motherboards, so we cannot say it's P1 or K5.
  • i really hate people saying stupid things, ok first Windows 95 isnt a operating system it is a shell a program running in dos .. now in the windows 95 release you are using dos 7x, so dos is the operating system . and last but not lease windows 95 will operate on very old computers minimal requirments "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138349/en-us" ... :)
  • i had windows 98 running on a i386 with 12mb of ram - took all day to do the install on but then went for ages with no problems - not like this win XP rubbish!
  • Anonymous wrote:
    i had windows 98 running on a i386 with 12mb of ram - took all day to do the install on but then went for ages with no problems - not like this win XP rubbish!

i havent had and bad problems with XP
  • And others have. Just because you/we do/don't have problems with things does not mean that that should be universal.

-Q
  • I RAN WINDOWS95A ON 48633SX ONCE WITH 16MB RAM IT BOOTED IN 30 SECONDS UNTIL I INSTALLED LOTS OF APPS IT THEN BOOTED IN 5MIN BECAUSE OF ALL THE STUFF THAT OPEND UP ON STARTUP IT ALSO HAD A 200MB HARDDISK
  • Please, no caps, its annoying
  • Ey Q, you know where to find that COM-port CD-Drives?
  • Serial port CD-ROM drives?

WTF are you talking about?
This discussion has been closed.