Development Tools catalog cleanup

edited November 2014 in Site Issues
I decided I had too much free time and free disk space 8) so I went ahead to queue all the downloads that WinWorld has to offer under the Development Tools section. I will not be downloading them all at one go; rather, I'll slowly span the downloads over the next few weeks. As I mentioned earlier:
WinWorld is certainly a little messy [...] there are a handful of inconsistencies.
so I'll just help along and point out any oddities.

For Page 1 of Development Tools:
- Borland C++ has a bit of a glitch with subsections: if you click on 2.0 (OS/2), it will be highlighted together with 2.0 (DOS) for some reason. The files, however, are properly separated between these two subsections.
- Borland Turbo C > 2.x > Borland Turbo C 2.0 (3.5) is downloaded as Borland Turbo C++ 2.0 (3.5).7z. I do not know yet whether it is a mislabeled file, or it really belongs to Borland Turbo C++
- C Professional Development System is a blank section. No files are available for download.
- The rest on Page 1 are just minor inconsistencies, such as Borland Turbo C++/CPP and (Borland) Turbo Basic.

I will post any issues on Pages 2 and 3 here later, as I continue sweeping through.

Comments

• Never sure why BackOffice Server was under Development Tools. I would have thought it would have been more appropriate in the Windows NT 3.x/4/x OS pages instead. Speaking of which, I uploaded version 2.0 recently as it was not available.
  • - Borland Turbo C > 2.x > Borland Turbo C 2.0 (3.5) is downloaded as Borland Turbo C++ 2.0 (3.5).7z. I do not know yet whether it is a mislabeled file, or it really belongs to Borland Turbo C++

Many of the old files on the FTP are misnamed. I've been correcting the "download name" in the database, but eventually there will need to be changes to the actual file names.
  • Never sure why BackOffice Server was under Development Tools. I would have thought it would have been more appropriate in the Windows NT 3.x/4/x OS pages instead. Speaking of which, I uploaded version 2.0 recently as it was not available.
    I'll just add on to what thinkpadman said -- Microsoft SQL Server probably also belongs together with Windows OSes... doesn't it?
  • Microsoft SQL Server probably also belongs together with Windows OSes... doesn't it?
    No. Microsoft SQL Server is just a program you install, like how you install MySQL. It's not an operating system.
  • For pages 2 and 3 (oh boy),
    - Microsoft FORTRAN Optomizing Compiler 4.1 (5.25) (misspelling, also applies to the actual downloaded file)
    - Apparent glitch in the selected subcategory of the Microsoft Visual Basic page (similar to the one in the Borland C++ page I mentioned)
    - QBasic and QuickBasic pages have a lot of inconsistencies with versions and file names. On top of that, QuickBasic 1.x subsection is blank.
    - Watcom C/C++ 11.0B subsection is blank.
    - Windows SDK & DDK has a - (dash) subsection which is blank. Looking at the subsection's URL, it was probably meant for Windows 95.
    - Windows SDK & DDK 2000 (NT 5.0) subsection is a blank.
  • Fortran: Fixed the download name, but there is nothing I can do about the actual file name at the moment.

I recently went through and tried to clean up the QBasic/QuickBasic pages. The download names listed on the page should be right, but file names on the server are still a bad mess. If they don't actually contain what the database page says it does, let us know.

Watcomm C++ 11.0B is off in la-la-land at the moment:
    https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-bob/lalaland
    (Note it shows up on any invalid release name)
    It is there intentionally to demonstrate an odd combination of bugs. This is a known issue, and there is a bug filed on it. I'll move it back later.

I've removed those other blank releases.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Watcomm C++ 11.0B is off in la-la-land at the moment:
    https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-bob/lalaland
    (Note it shows up on any invalid release name)
    It is there intentionally to demonstrate an odd combination of bugs. This is a known issue, and there is a bug filed on it. I'll move it back later.
    Wow, that's like an easter egg right there..