Windows NT 3.1 can't install

edited November 2014 in Software
I downloaded the Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Workstation (3.10.511.1) ISO with bootdisk from here.
I boot the floppy bootdisk on Virtualbox and made sure the setup CD is also inserted. I pressed 'Enter' on the first screen then chose 'Express setup'
But I get this:
OJJGFyl.png

I checked whether i inserted the CD, and surely I already did.
I tried again many times, it didn't work.
What should I do?

Comments

• Any particular reason for installing NT 3.1? With VirtualBox you'll have much less trouble with NT 3.51.

VirtualBox uses IDE instead of SCSI for the CD-ROM drive, and even then hardware compatibility is a bit dodgy with NT 3.1. You can get around this by installing MS-DOS and a CD-ROM driver first to access the CD, then copy the i386 folder from the NT ISO onto the hard disk before running setup. This would help circumvent this issue, though you'll have trouble further down as it looks for a 386/486 CPU and won't continue further. There's a patch that can be applied to the installation files to skip this check though.

Personally I'd either use NT 3.51 in VirtualBox, or for NT 3.1 use Qemu or maybe PCem as with those emulators you have more control on what CPU is being emulated.

Here's a way to go about it in Qemu:
    http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_Windows_NT_3.1_on_Qemu
  • I think you can create a SCSI controller in VBox and attach the CD to a SCSI drive. I think VBox emulates a BusLogic, which is supported by NT 3.x.

After that, you'd still need to fix the CPU requirement.
  • I think you can create a SCSI controller in VBox and attach the CD to a SCSI drive.

You're right actually. I just played around with the settings, and can easily be added. I'll admit I've only really done it in VMWare Workstation.
  • afaik, VMware mounts the opposite way by default - IDE CD, SCSI HD
  • Thanks for the information. Perhaps, i'd try win nt 3.51 instead.
  • If I remember correctly all you need is a DOS boot disk with a CD-ROM driver and run the NT install manually by also issuing the winnt /F /C. For a example

D:\i386>winnt /F /C

If anything you should be able to modify something like the DOSNET.INF, setup.inf and initial.inf or something on those lines and change the install to say local directory instead by CD.

Here's a howto guide for getting it to run in the QEMU emulator VM.
    http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_Wind ... .1_on_Qemu