Best Home Server OS?

2»

Comments

• So you base your entire conclusion that Ubuntu is insecure on the fact that they included Amazon search in the Unity desktop?

That's a bit ridiculous to say the least. Besides, Ubuntu Server does not (or rather, should not) include a desktop environment in the first place. So the Amazon search thing would not be an issue.

As far as free / non-free or installing binaries vs compiling from source... that's just paranoid, open source hippy, bullshit.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    So you base your entire conclusion that Ubuntu is insecure on the fact that they included Amazon search in the Unity desktop?

Not really. It is a corporate-made distro that is anti-user, so the developers could always sneek in something at compile time and nobody would know.

EDIT: This will be my last post in this thread, so i will say this:

If the outside world is not going to be able to access it, I really wouldn't be too picky. If you have an old pc to spare, TinyXP rev09 should be fine. Just install it without the virus magnet known as IE and OE.
  • I'd be more concerned with the government. Even then, what would Canonical do?

IE's core components will always be installed on Windows XP, and even then you still have XP's crufty old insecure design. TinyXP is ricer shit no one should use.
  • If I had to choose between Ubuntu and XP as a server OS, I would definitely go with Ubuntu. If you don't trust Ubuntu because of Canonical, then by that reasoning, you shouldn't trust XP because of Microsoft.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft have done more sketchy things than Canonical.
  • I would recommend windows home server as a home server. I haven't tried it out yet but it is worth a go.
  • I would recommend windows home server as a home server. I haven't tried it out yet but it is worth a go.
    *sigh*

Always glad to see people making baseless recommendations on something they haven't tried.
  • Kirk wrote:
    I would recommend windows home server as a home server. I haven't tried it out yet but it is worth a go.
    *sigh*

Always glad to see people making baseless recommendations on something they haven't tried.

Well considering that Windows Home Server doesn't even EXIST anymore, how about no?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    If I had to choose between Ubuntu and XP as a server OS, I would definitely go with Ubuntu. If you don't trust Ubuntu because of Canonical, then by that reasoning, you shouldn't trust XP because of Microsoft.

I don't really trust any windows version starting with XP and going up (and I don't trust M$ either). The only reason I use W7 is so I can run Steam and Desura. Yes I know Steam should be able to run on Slackware64 14.1, but I can't seem to get it to work. I haven't tried getting Desura to work, but I just use it for Half-life mods.
  • dosbox wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    If I had to choose between Ubuntu and XP as a server OS, I would definitely go with Ubuntu. If you don't trust Ubuntu because of Canonical, then by that reasoning, you shouldn't trust XP because of Microsoft.

I don't really trust any windows version starting with XP and going up (and I don't trust M$ either). The only reason I use W7 is so I can run Steam and Desura. Yes I know Steam should be able to run on Slackware64 14.1, but I can't seem to get it to work. I haven't tried getting Desura to work, but I just use it for Half-life mods.

Watch Microsoft leak all of your data to the NSA.
  • dosbox wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:

Watch Microsoft leak all of your data to the NSA.

Most of my private data is on a linux ext4 partition.
  • If you want a simple lite weight file sharing system and gain some EXP on the way then use Debian Linux with a Command Line Interface and check out howtoforge.com and follow their amazing guides on setting up Samba, IPTables and such. This way you have a small foot print on the system's resources and can use a jump drive as the master disk to store the OS and have more free space on the hard drive/s for you data.
  • I was relieved to see that at least the last post mentioned Debian. I have always preferred it, I had a server running with Debian for a few years and mostly had to mess with stuff only because I got bored and wanted to try something new.

I have lately had a little experience with running a Windows 7 server too, and I suppose it's not bad either. You'll definately need to be ready to reboot it every now and then, but in return you get the possibility of running game servers that'd be difficult if not impossible to run under Linux. With all the cheap second hand hardware out there, insufficient resources are hardly a reason to say no to Windows 7.
  • tatte wrote:
    I was relieved to see that at least the last post mentioned Debian. I have always preferred it, I had a server running with Debian for a few years and mostly had to mess with stuff only because I got bored and wanted to try something new.

I have lately had a little experience with running a Windows 7 server too, and I suppose it's not bad either. You'll definately need to be ready to reboot it every now and then, but in return you get the possibility of running game servers that'd be difficult if not impossible to run under Linux. With all the cheap second hand hardware out there, insufficient resources are hardly a reason to say no to Windows 7.

I'm afraid I'm still going to have to give the nod to Linux still, however I'd like to know a little bit more about Debian.
  • I'm afraid I'm still going to have to give the nod to Linux still, however I'd like to know a little bit more about Debian.
    Going back to the original post, I doesn't sound like you'd actually need anything more than an external hard drive with network capabilities.

With that in mind, the best advantage that Debian has to offer over Windows is that it's free. Setting it up as a novice wont probably be as easy as setting up Windows, but I reckon the effort pays itself back in little required maintenance.

I strongly recommend that you go ahead and try setting up a server with Debian in a virtual machine, for example with VirtualBox. It's free just like Debian, so you don't lose anything.
  • tatte wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm still going to have to give the nod to Linux still, however I'd like to know a little bit more about Debian.
    Going back to the original post, I doesn't sound like you'd actually need anything more than an external hard drive with network capabilities.

With that in mind, the best advantage that Debian has to offer over Windows is that it's free. Setting it up as a novice wont probably be as easy as setting up Windows, but I reckon the effort pays itself back in little required maintenance.

I strongly recommend that you go ahead and try setting up a server with Debian in a virtual machine, for example with VirtualBox. It's free just like Debian, so you don't lose anything.

Now what exactly does Debian offer over Ubuntu Server?
  • Debian is the OG of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a fork distro. Debian was first and then Ubuntu came along as a Live distro of Debian but down the road Ubuntu in my mind turned into bloatware. You can do the same things in Debian that you can do in Ubuntu but with less resources. Last time I played with Debian you had to have X11 running as for I prefer to use a CLI layout and avoid the GUI since once again in my mind a GUI isn't needed for server use, maybe at most a web based control panel.

Who remember's Gentoo Linux?