Best Home Server OS?

edited December 2014 in Software
Just as the name suggests, i'm looking for the best home server OS i can find.

This will be a server used to store data across a Workgroup, and through a shared folder/folders, i haven't decided whether i will be buying one or building one, that depends solely on the price at the time, which will be a while from now.

I originally considered Windows Server until i took the additional fees into consideration (Client Access Licenses, Per CPU/Core Licenses) and now i'm considering Ubuntu Server, however i'm not sure if there will be a Linux equivalent to all of the additional fees i mentioned, and with a small amount of research i did discover that you can connect Ubuntu to a Windows Workgroup, so the question is, which OS would be the best for my particular application?

I should also mention that i don't plan on using any services associated with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, etc.

Comments

• If all you're looking to do is share files in a workgroup of computers, then your options for OS are pretty much limitless. Pretty much every version of Windows since WFWG 3.11 can share files. Server and client alike. The only issue with client versions is that they impose a 10 simultaneous connection limit. For a home user, this is plenty.

If you want to buy something (hardware and software), then I'd recommend getting a Synology NAS. It doesn't have to be Synology, but they're one of my favorites.

Otherwise, if you want to build yourself, I'd recommend Ubuntu Server or Debian and setting up Samba.

As for licensing fees, there are none with Linux. So nothing to worry about there.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    If all you're looking to do is share files in a workgroup of computers, then your options for OS are pretty much limitless. Pretty much every version of Windows since WFWG 3.11 can share files. Server and client alike. The only issue with client versions is that they impose a 10 simultaneous connection limit. For a home user, this is plenty.

If you want to buy something (hardware and software), then I'd recommend getting a Synology NAS. It doesn't have to be Synology, but they're one of my favorites.

Otherwise, if you want to build yourself, I'd recommend Ubuntu Server or Debian and setting up Samba.

As for licensing fees, there are none with Linux. So nothing to worry about there.

That's good to know. I was worried that Linux was one of those companies that hides fees. What are your thoughts Windows Server? (other than the RIDICULOUS price)
  • Linux isn't a company, there's many types known as distributions made by different communities of people. Some target a specific niche, while others such as Ubuntu and Fedora for example can be used as a standard desktop environment.

I have Windows Server 2012 on my home server, though I received this via the Microsoft DreamSpark program so there was no cost associated to it. For me it's been rock solid, though it's overkill really. If I didn't have that available and wanted to keep it legit with licensing, I'd be giving Ubuntu a go or try using the free Microsoft Hyper-V Server perhaps. While the price might seem expensive for us home users, you have to factor into the cost technical support that Microsoft provides should something go wrong. These versions are targeting the enterprise business environment after all. Microsoft's life cycle support is quite decent I think - Windows Server 2003 is still supported until April next year so overall cost of ownership over a span of 10 years is reasonably low in that respect. From what I've seen, most distributions of Linux are supported by asking questions on online forums, and networking with experienced users.

A NAS as BlueSun suggested is a good option if it's purely file sharing and you have say 2-4 TB of data to store. I went the home server option as I use up more storage (have 14TB of drives in a mirrored disk volume configuration in case a drive fails), and wanted to use Hyper-V virtualisation, SQL Server, etc.
  • for windows server: yarr

I suggest you put things in ESXi/Hyper-V/KVM to run several OSes. So you can have one for a NAS (maybe attach a SAS controller with VT-d) and one for a web server and so on...
  • I would vouch for Linux over Windows out of concideration of licensing fees and a learning experience. Also lots of personal preference.

As previously stated there is no "one" company behind Linux, but numerous companies. Linux vendors like RedHat, Canonical (Ubuntu), SuSE, etc... make money off of sellling support contracts. Everyone can get community support but that's not provided with any guarentee and is provided by the free will, usually at no payment to them, of other community members. For enterprise users however that's usually not good enough, so they pay several thousand dollars for their vendor to provide support directly in a timely way.

There's certainly a lot of money in the Linux ecosystem (it gives me my hefty paycheck) but despite that the collective software is still free for you to use and modify.
  • What are your thoughts Windows Server? (other than the RIDICULOUS price)

It's overkill if all you're doing is file sharing. You could even get by with just a Windows 7 box sharing files if you had one laying around.

If you wanted to learn Windows Server, you get a 60 day evaluation period free before it starts complaining about not being genuine and then slightly limited functionality after that. Plus you can re-arm up to 3 times. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948472
  • I personally use a Windows XP Pro rig with 512 MB or RAM for my files and remote desktop. Honestly, it is slow, but even something really old works.
  • I'd suggest Freenas. It has everything you would need for a dedicated file server all in one. No futzing with seperate packages, just install it to a USB stick and configure it all through a web interface. To me, an awesome thing about that is it supports AFP that lets me share files with MacOS 8.x.
  • sj45410 wrote:
    I personally use a Windows XP Pro rig with 512 MB or RAM for my files and remote desktop. Honestly, it is slow, but even something really old works.
    I cringed. XP is a terrible server OS and it's not patched anymore. Don't be an idiot.
  • It's all I got ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Why not Linux?

Why not zoidberg? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • stitch wrote:
    Why not Linux?

Heh. Any opinions on the up and coming ReactOS? It's based on the same binary (currently) as Windows Server 2003, and I'm pretty sure it would be something to consider, when it gets released (or if it gets released, for that matter).
  • ReactOS is no where near ready, not even ready as Wine. Impressive though.

It also smells like Russia.
  • ampharos wrote:
    ReactOS is no where near ready, not even ready as Wine. Impressive though.

It also smells like Russia.

For now Ubuntu Server is my best bet, however I brought up ReactOS as it might be something to consider later on.
  • Heh. Any opinions on the up and coming ReactOS?
    Up and coming? ReactOS has been around for years.

It's managed to stay in Alpha for years and make very little progress. I wouldn't consider it as a contender for any kind of actual use.
  • Kirk wrote:
    Heh. Any opinions on the up and coming ReactOS?

It's managed to stay in Alpha for years and make very little progress. I wouldn't consider it as a contender for any kind of actual use.

As of now, maybe not, however maybe 5+ years later, it might be worth checking back into it.
  • Kirk wrote:

As of now, maybe not, however maybe 5+ years later, it might be worth checking back into it.
    You know it's been around for 10 years now, right?
  • Kirk wrote:
    Kirk wrote:

No I didn't, how long have they been basing it off of Windows Server 2003?
  • stitch wrote:
    Why not Linux?

Thanks for the recommendation stitch. I'll have to find a lightweight Linux distro and get familiar with it :)
  • The only way ReactOS would take off is if they suddenly got an influx of major talent. I don't really see that happening and I predict that another 10 years down the road, it will pretty much be right where it is today.
  • A few years back I did a bunch of regression testing over at ReactOS. I got tired of it because there was little point going back 1000 builds to find when something broke if it would be 10000 more before they got around to fixing it.

But slightly more back on topic: If you want to do vintage, may I suggest: Windows 3.1 running DEC PATHWORKS?, Artisoft Lantastic? Microsoft Lanmanger on OS/2? Or if you want a web server, here is a web server for a PCJr : http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_web_server.html :D
  • sj45410 wrote:
    I'll have to find a lightweight Linux distro and get familiar with it :)

I would recommend staying away from anything with systemd as the init system. Ubuntu wouldn't be a good option either because of security reasons. With the majority of distros out of the picture, Debian (version 7 or older) and Slackware are your only choices left. I would personally use Slackware because it is fast, stable, and secure.
  • Hmm, a server orientated, pretty lightweight version of Debian Wheezy (Wheezy=7, if my memory serves me right) is Crunchbang Waldorf. Also, Skora, what hardware will you run it on? It matters quite a bit between a P4 or an i7.
  • like it or not, systemd is here to stay - it actually has some good ideas, it's just plagued by aggressive developers. It's useful to learn it for learning how to administrate Ubuntu/Red Hat/other Linux servers. I've never met anyone who seriously uses Slackware or Gentoo (ha!) as a production server. If you truly hate it, learn a BSD.
  • Kirk wrote:
    Kirk wrote:

18 -the project started in 1996, if I remember correctly.
  • It's hard to know exactly what everybody means here (I'm a Linux noob) but thanks for your input, like i said, I'll do my research ;)
  • dosbox wrote:
    sj45410 wrote:

I would recommend staying away from anything with systemd as the init system. Ubuntu wouldn't be a good option either because of security reasons. With the majority of distros out of the picture, Debian (version 7 or older) and Slackware are your only choices left. I would personally use Slackware because it is fast, stable, and secure.

I'm curious to know what security reasons you're talking about.

Besides which, we're talking about a file server which is likely on a private home network and probably not going to have outside access. While security should always be a concern, I think it's a bit less of a concern in this situation.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    dosbox wrote:
    sj45410 wrote:

Besides which, we're talking about a file server which is likely on a private home network and probably not going to have outside access. While security should always be a concern, I think it's a bit less of a concern in this situation.

I second BlueSun's post, how exactly is Ubuntu insecure?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    dosbox wrote:
    sj45410 wrote:

https://github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/334
    IMO all ubuntu derivates should be removed as well, because they can potentially also include spyware of the original distro without even knowing.
    Since original ubuntu is already distrusted on this site, the logical conclusion is to distrust downstreams of ubuntu as well.
    Mint might be an exception and need further investigation, but afaik it does not have an independent repository. (ofc LMDE is fine, because it uses debian testing repository and debian is not known to do weird things and has a strong ethical commitment... so maybe change Linux Mint to "Linux Mint Debian Edition")
    Ubuntu's spyware is currently contained in the Unity desktop environment. Ubuntu derivatives using alternative desktop environments ({L,X,K}ubuntu) should be theoretically safe, although they may still contain non-free software.
    But what is a fact is this: ubuntu has already betrayed it‘s users through their spying features and is clearly not aiming at full transparency and freedom as in free.
    Because of this fact people should really think if this will remain the only occurence of nastyness. History has taught us and is telling us again right now that companies with that power and attitude will not stop at such a point, but just become more subtle. Free software for them is merely a utilty to build up to their own goals.

How can you trust someone who has already lied to you? What happened in Ubuntu is a very good reason to never trust them again as a whole, not just disregard a few features they provide. That would be inconsistent for people who appreciate free software and want control over what‘s happening on their computer.

Further: Ubuntu packages are technically not opensource. They are just binary packages, so they cannot be (open)source at the same time. That is a small but important difference. What they do is provide a source tarball along with their binary tarball. Who can tell me now if the source from tarball A matches the compiled binary of tarball B? You would have to decompile and analyze the whole code against the other... and that will be pretty difficult. So why should I install binary packages at all? Well, maybe because I trust the distributor. But we already realized that you cannot trust ubuntu distributors.

That in fact means that over 99% of Trisquel is practically Ubuntu. How can I recommend Trisquel now when I already distrust Ubuntu? You say the malicious features have been removed? Well, does Trisquel or you know of all malicious features of ubuntu? No. Well, we could claim that for any distro no? Yes, but they have not betrayed their users yet, so there is still a small reason for trust.

That said... it is simply illogical to trust derivates who just import the majority of packages from ubuntu. While we cannot say „ubuntu distributes malware all over it‘s repository“, we can‘t really say the opposite either, because it already happened once.

If you recommend LMDE (which is purely based on debian) I would really have no objection, so please don‘t think I‘m one of the guys who start distro wars. I am concerned about security and users. There are other distros on your list that I do not like, but I would never claim that archlinux is not trustworthy.
    I would like to add that these Ubuntu-derived distributions simply do not have the manpower to possibly audit all the packages they inherit (or sometimes even directly mirror) from Ubuntu. This means that their users are effectively at Ubuntu's mercy, and we cannot trust Ubuntu as they have proven to have unethical, anti-social interests.
  • You just answered your own question: it's just Amazon search stuff in Unity, which is going to be removed anyways.