Tossing together another relic

edited May 2015 in Hardware
I don't know why but today I pulled out my box of parts and decided to toss together a AMD Athlon system. It's a FIC am37 motherboard. Changed out the CPU to a Athlon 2000+, tossed on two sticks of 512MB sadly they're fastest and biggest I had for it. Changed out the CPU heatsink to a Thermake Volcano 6Cu. 250watt Antec power supply. eVGA Geforce 6200 AGPx4 with 256MB vram. I' thinking to toss in two WD 120GB drives and a single WD 160GB PATA drives. Also debaiting to toss in a HP dvd740 optical drive. I'm tossing it into a old HP/Compaq ATX case. Wish I could go back into time and really show out lol. Too bad I can't use my sempron CPU.

Comments

• Finished. I decided just to use a single hard drive. I even took a chance and used a real FIC brand BIOS instead of using the stock HP/Compaq BIOS. Doing that I now have access to both serial ports for some reason HP/Compaq disabled COM2 yet left the pin headers on. Kinda tempted to try the Sempron CPU for added speed. I also can use PC2700 memory now :)
  • You should post some pics of the build.
  • IMG_20150514_123555.jpg

IMG_20150514_123628.jpg

Found a old GeForce 4 and robbed the fan from it, I tossed it onto the GeForce 6200.
    IMG_20150514_123617.jpg

I need a better fan on the rear of the case. Might force it to run at 12volts instead of 5volts.
  • Nothing like a good toss. What's this machine going to be used for?

I'm planning over the coming months to toss a Pentium MMX and a 486 DX4 PC once I accumulate more parts. Was very surprised to obtain a brand new 486 motherboard these days. Might struggle finding a time accurate AT case though.
  • Might use it as my projects system. I installed the Arduino IDE and Sublime Text 2, they run just fine on it. Only problem is Chrome won't install, the installer says it's not compatible with my CPU but I was able to install the latest Apple Sarfari.

=======

If you're using a baby AT format you could get away using a full size ATX case. I know back in the day there were ATX cases that could house baby AT motherboards. Only problem though is with newer ATX cases they won't have the markings on the motherboard try to add the stand offs unless you drill and tap yor own.

I got tons of 72pin memory laying around if you need any.
  • Chrome likely requires SSE/SSE2. The last Safari for Windows is quite a few years old. Firefox and IE11 are your best bets for modern browsers on such a machine.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I got tons of 72pin memory laying around if you need any.

Seriously thanks for the offer. As I'm likely to be on the other side of the Pacific, I'd be inclined to bundle a few extra bits considering shipping costs. Of course, it depends on what you have and what you want to keep for yourself.

I''ll start a new thread instead of hijacking yours about suitable parts.
  • I was never a fan of Firefox and I hate IE with every inch of my body.

=====

Let me know, I'll give you the memory, just tell me how many stick you want. Just pay for the shipping.
  • IE11 is actually a good browser nowadays, and the only one I run on Windows. Very fast and RAM friendly, despite using multiple processes.
  • Found a use for this system. Going to toss in a old SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and use the system as a oscilloscope. I'll even dual boot the system with Linux.

http://www.yann.com/en/diy-turn-your-gn ... /2010.html

If it doesn't work like I hope i'll just go buy a small travel size CRT TV from the thrift store and make a oscilloscope from that.